News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

NBA 2K16

Started by TheNorm, January 04, 2016, 06:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

This is probably gonna be a review in parts since I'm slowly going through different parts of the game. Funny thing is, I never would've given this game a second thought but a couple of years ago PS Plus had NBA 2K14 as a free download and I got hooked on the My Career mode, which is like MLB's Road to the Show mode but may even be ever so slightly better (not a knock on RTTS, it's just that good). The mode was so good that I never really got around to playing any of the other modes in the game like MyLeague or MyGM (those modes should be self explanatory). You could pick up endorsements, and how you answered a question in postgame interviews typically had an impact on your standing with your teammates, the city where you played, and the fans. The mode had its flaws, of course; for example, I'm not really sure why the Utah Jazz selected my player (an athletic pass first point guard from Michigan) in the first round when they already drafted Trey Burke (also a point guard...from Michigan) a few picks before me. What I liked about the mode is that you weren't immediately thrown into the starting lineup - you had to make do with whatever minutes you got in the game. It wasn't until around the 30th or 40th game of the season that your rating or an injury got you placed into the starting lineup. You'd receive VC each game depending on your performance, which allowed you to spend on developing your player. The mode was so fun that I actually cheated up a little bit and gave 2K some $$ so that I could have more VC to spend.

Anyway, fast forward to 2K16's My Career...and now you have to play through a Spike Lee 'movie' to get to the heart of the career mode. Blah, whatever-wasn't really feeling the story but now that I'm past all that I can get into the mode that I'm familiar with. Was originally drafted 23rd overall by the Trail Blazers, but then through events in Spike Lee's Joint got to test free agency. Wanted to try and land with the Pistons but after I tried to negotiate for more cash they pulled their offer...so I took more money with their division rivals the Pacers instead...looking forward to those games.   8)  I'll update on this mode as things progress.

Only played one game of a typical team match, and it was enjoyable. Presentation in this mode is absolutely top notch and feels like an actual broadcast. In MyGM and MyLeague you can actually relocate teams...I'm thinking it's time for the Supersonics to come home.  8)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Interesting, keep updates coming

TheNorm

So I decided to play a half on play now mode, my Pistons at home against the CPU controlled Golden State Warriors. Difficulty level Pro (Rookie - Pro - All-Star - Superstar - Hall of Fame), because let's be serious: I haven't played a basketball game seriously in a few years, not team play anyway...and let's be completely honest, I was never good enough at these games to consider playing on Superstar or HOF mode. :D

The reason I say half? Because I was still down 20 at the break.  :o Worst part about it is that I don't feel the CPU screwed me at all: Golden State is just that damn good. I don't think my video game skills have deteriorated that badly (at least I hope not - I should probably play against the Sixers and make sure they don't own me too).

I'm finding that this game really makes you focus on the strengths of your team, and playing within that...that's good. I tried to force things once Golden State started to pull ahead, and that only made things worse. And from the limited time I've seen of the Warriors in real life this season (the team is 35-2), the video game version plays close to the real life version. I really really like that.  :woot:
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I heard the button combos are difficult, counterintuitive

TheNorm

I don't agree with that...learning curve just like any other game but once you pick it up it's okay.

TheNorm

FYI, this is one of the free games of the month for June through PS Plus...go pick it up.