What are you looking forward to in 2016, Movies & TV edition

Started by TheNorm, January 07, 2016, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Just seeing what's on everyone's radar for the coming year...here's mine:

Movies

Deadpool
Zoolander No. 2
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (the most recent trailer has me concerned Zack Snyder may have screwed this up...we'll see)
Captain America: Civil War (Winter Soldier is Marvel's best comic book movie, can't wait for this one)
X-Men: Apocalypse
Finding Dory
Independence Day: Resurgence (Say what you want, but I'm more confidence about this movie after the first trailer than I am with Batman v. Superman)
Ghostbusters
Star Trek Beyond
The Magnificent Seven
Doctor Strange
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (a Harry Potter prequel of sorts? I'm in)
Rogue One: a Star Wars Story

TV

Daredevil Season Two
Angie Tribeca
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

yes on Deadpool!
Im trying to get into the Marvel world but I just cant do X Men and I havent seen a Captain America flick but Civil War looks like it may be good.
ID4 resurgence doesnt really appeal to me for some reason. I'll want to see it but its not a theatre watch for me.
The Ghostbuster thing is setup to fail for me. I know that seems like a cynics view, but really, I'm open to reboots, just not with this one, and not with Fieg. Bridesmaids and Heat, despite the fawning all over them, were just meh for me.  It's a bold move to take on this project and I want to see how it turns out, so we will see.

As a lifelong SW fan, Rogue One is definately on my radar, but I'm fearful for overexposure and potential saturation tiring the casual fan. Apparently this film will have more of a war movie feel with mystical powers not existing and while in the SW realm, there will be no crossover, ala Marvel's Universe.

On TV, Bett Call Saul is one Ill keep an eye on and I'm curious about Shades of Blue. I'd like to see how Ray Liotta handles the small screen.

rollntider

Movies

Deadpool (thats marvel universe Crewe)
Captain America: Civil War
X-Men: Apocalypse
Finding Dory
Doctor Strange
Rogue One: a Star Wars Story

TV

Better Call Saul

Crewe

Yea, I noticed that. Since I'm not an avid MU comic book or MU follower, I'm sure I'll miss out on some elements of this flick, but I'm getting more exposure as more and more films/tv series arrive.  :-)

TheNorm

I personally think the Captain America films are the best ones in the MU so far, although Guardians of the Galaxy runs a close second for me. Definitely worth checking out.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

rollntider

Now that some of these are out, what do you guys think?

Deadpool A++
Daredevil A+
Better Call Saul A
Billions (Showtime series) A

TheNorm

Deadpool was as good as I thought it would be. BvS was okay for a Zack Snyder film, and Affleck was a surprisingly good Batman (he's no Bale of course but no one is). You can ask me about Civil War after Friday but I'm really looking forward to it. Other than that, I haven't watched anything else...not even Daredevil which I need to fix like yesterday (and Jessica Jones too, sorry Crewe)

Crewe

Of your list, Ive only seen Better Call Saul, both seasons.
George Lucas should take note, this is how you develop a backstory when we already know the outcome. really nicely done thus far, and they say Saul could take about 5 seasons to reach the Breaking Bad story. From what I see thus far, that seems like it might be a little long unless they don't compress a lot of time during the next seasons.

On a side note since it was announced, I really think that making a Han Solo movie is overkill at its finest. I just don't think there is much interest in the development of Han, I mean, we already know, and witnessed his growth. It would be interesting about the Aluminum Falcon, but otherwise, the market is saturated with Star Wars and thats not a good thing.

Im currently in Season 2 of True Detectives, more later.
What else is cooking? I just finished all 11 seasons of Cheers, again, getting the bug to fire up the Office, again lol
Also on tap is Tom Hanks in Bridge of Spies and there's a few others I can't...oh, Cloverfield 10 I think its called, hoping horror can be revitalized properly.

Ah, wait, I did just finish up Blindspot so allow me...
Clever idea, really was, but poorly, poorly implemented. Bad acting (although bad directing is the cause of much of it) along with tragic editing of time and space makes this one fail for me.
But here's the kicker, I might still watch season 2 just to see wtf lol  So, its kinda like, its bad, but you still want to see what happens because the overall story is good.
What separates this show from other crimes is this; every other show, each episode solves a new crime. In this one, each episode solves a new crime, but its all related to the main story which revolve around the tattoos of the main character, and Im not spoiling anything for you.
The really bad is that its built just like 24 was sans real time, and even with that, they still fucked it up, because its nowhere near what 24 was on any level.
So uhh, I dunno, watch it if you want, I guess? lol

rollntider

Agree with Crew on Better call Saul.

Agree on the Han Solo movie.

Daredevil is great. They are making a punisher spinoff because of it.

Jessica Jones is next on my list.

Also to rewatch game of thrones. I have forgotten a lot.

Crewe

Yes on GoT for me too!
Let me know what you think of Jessica Jones

rollntider

first episode down. so far so good. I think that is Luke Cage in the show? Like the actor. Still feeling the series out...

Sakura

I look forward to nothing.  It's been working out so far for the last 10 years. :D

rollntider

2 episodes in and liking Jessica Jones so far. Still kinda figuring it out, but liking so far.

Crewe

You'll have to tell me what you think when its over. I wasn't riveted by it, but somewhat interested in the next season, but still, things nag me about the storytelling in season 1, little things but still.