News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

CFL 2017 Discussion

Started by cflnut, May 30, 2017, 07:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/26/cfl-insights-duron-carter-can/

QuoteREGINA — Is there anything Duron Carter can't do?

The Riders' boisterous receiver started his first game at corner in Week 18 and after all the trash talk, he was the one getting the last laugh against Bo Levi Mitchell.

Carter's pick-six has been all over the highlights since it occurred in last Friday's 30-7 win over Calgary, but it also offers some historical significance.

The defensive touchdown marked the fourth different way Carter has scored over his four-year career, putting him in a very exclusive club.

In addition to his pick-six, Carter has also scored on multiple touchdown catches, a missed field goal return and a fumble.

The touchdown grabs have come in spades for the 26-year-old, who's consistently put up big numbers as a pass-catcher in the CFL. Carter has 3,914 yards and 25 touchdowns in his career, never failing to eclipse 909 yards and five touchdowns in any of his four seasons (three of which were spent in Montreal).

One of Carter's most impressive plays was the missed field goal return, which came from 123 yards for the Montreal Alouettes back in 2014.

Then there was the play that most highlighted his versatility. In September of 2016, Carter played punt teams vs. the Ticats and blocked a punt, returning the fumble all the way for six the other way.

There was a time when CFL players often saw time on both sides of the football, making feats like Carter's not entirely uncommon. Today, however, players seldom switch sides, let alone play both in the same season.

This stat from CFL statistician Steve Daniel illustrates the rarity of players who can score in so many ways: Of the 10,167 players who have ever suited up in a CFL game, only 43 have used four different methods to score a touchdown. That puts Carter in the 0.004 per cent.

Finally, scoring on offence and defence in the same season is impressive in its own right. That's only happened four times over the lat 20 years, with Bryon Parker, Joe Hagins and Dexter Dawson also accomplishing the feat.

I honestly think Duron Carter is an idiot, and is only playing because of his dad's fame, not because he has any real skill.

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

Saw where Trent scored 2 TDs and 127 yards rushing... Nice... Go ROughriders :)

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/924103499943694342

cflnut

He had a really good game. It will be interesting to see what he's can do over the course of a full season.

Here's a articles about him.
https://www.riderville.com/2017/10/28/trent-richardson-makes-mark-roughriders/

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/28/richardson-emerging-key-weapon-riders/

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/29/playoff-scenarios-week-20/

QuoteTORONTO – The Edmonton Eskimos made sure that if the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are going to host a playoff game they will need to win out to do so.

Edmonton's Saturday night win over Calgary means that the final week of the regular season will decide how the post-season will begin.

Winnipeg can still clinch second in the West with a win next week in Calgary.

Edmonton and Saskatchewan play each other in Week 20 and although Edmonton is two points up, Saskatchewan owns the tie breaker and will finish ahead with a win and a Winnipeg win.

In the East, the Ottawa REDBLACKS have done their part by beating the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Friday night.  Now, they need to sit back and wait to see what next week has in store for their rivals the Toronto Argonauts.

Sitting just a point up and with a bye in the final week of the season, the REDBLACKS fate is simple: An Argos win in BC next week and Ottawa finishes second; an Argos loss to BC and the REDBLACKS will host their third consecutive Eastern Final on November 19 at TD Place.

Here are the playoff scenarios for Week 20:

West Division Scenarios

Winnipeg Win OR Edmonton Loss = Winnipeg clinches second place in the division and will host the Western Semi-Final on November 12 versus Edmonton or Saskatchewan
Edmonton Win + Winnipeg Loss OR Tie = Edmonton clinches second place in the division and will host the Western Semi-Final against Winnipeg and Saskatchewan will crossover and play in the Eastern Semi-Final November 12 against Toronto or Ottawa
Saskatchewan Win = Saskatchewan clinches third place in the West Division and will play in the Western Semi-Final against Winnipeg on November 12 and Edmonton will crossover and play in the Eastern Semi-Final November 12 against Toronto or Ottawa

East Division Scenarios

Toronto win OR tie = Toronto clinches first place in the East and will host the Eastern Final on November 19; Ottawa finishes in second place and will host the Eastern Semi-Final on November 12.
Toronto loss = Ottawa clinches first place in the East and will host the Eastern Final on November 19; Toronto finishes in second place and will host the Eastern Semi-Final on November 12.

Crossover Scenarios

Hamilton loss in Week 17 confirmed a West Division team will crossover and take the third playoff berth in the East Division
Who has clinched a playoff berth

Calgary Stampeders*, Toronto Argonauts, Ottawa REDBLACKS, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Edmonton Eskimos, Saskatchewan Roughriders

* – Denotes clinched division

If the playoffs started today (Oct. 28) ...

Western Semi-Final: Edmonton at Winnipeg
Western Final: TBD at Calgary

Eastern Semi-Final: Saskatchewan at Toronto
Eastern Final: TBD at Ottawa

Out of the playoffs: Hamilton, Montreal, BC

Everything comes down to the final week.

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/05/matchups-set-105th-grey-cup-playoffs-set-begin/

QuoteTORONTO — It took until the 82nd game of the season but we now know how the Shaw Road to the Grey Cup will begin as the stage is set for pair of semi-final games now locked in.

A Winnipeg win Friday night sets up the Bombers' first home playoff date since 2011.  Their opponents, the Edmonton Eskimos, earned their way into the contest after a road win in Saskatchewan Saturday night. The Riders will cross over to the East to take on the Ottawa REDBLACKS.

The Toronto Argonauts and Calgary Stampeders, meanwhile, will wait to determine their opponent in the Eastern and Western Finals on Nov. 19.

All games can be seen on TSN and RDS, as the post-season culminates with the 105th Grey Cup Championship presented by Shaw at Ottawa's TD Place on Nov. 26.

The action starts on Sunday, Nov. 12 at 1:00 p.m. ET when Ottawa hosts Saskatchewan in the Eastern Semi-Final. These two teams split their two games this season, both winning on the road in contests that were decided by one score.

A rare cross-division duel offers intrigue in the nation's capital, with Ottawa and Saskatchewan entering the post-season as two of the CFL's three hottest teams. The REDBLACKS, well-rested after their Week 20 bye, go into Sunday on a three-game winning streak, while the Riders have won eight of 12 games to double their 2016 win total at 10-8.

While Trevor Harris put his autumn struggles behind him to get the REDBLACKS in the playoffs, the second-year Ottawa pivot enters uncharted waters, making his first career post-season start. Meanwhile, Kevin Glenn and Canadian Brandon Bridge continue to share quarterback duties in Regina, making a must-watch storyline this week.

Heading west, the Eskimos travel to Winnipeg, which will see its first home playoff game at the newly-built Investors Group Field.

The Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Eskimos have bounced between long winning and losing streaks in 2017, but the good news for Jason Maas' club is the team has won five straight games entering post-season play. The addition of C.J. Gable has injected new life into the Eskimos' offence, which is averaging more than 30 points per game over the current winning streak.

The Bombers, on the other hand, have backed into the playoffs, needing a win in their season finale to lock up a home playoff game — but they won't be intimidated. Winnipeg swept the two-game season series with Edmonton, while Matt Nichols has enjoyed a career year and Andrew Harris has set an all-time record for his involvement in the passing game.

There's a lot to like about both of these matchups, with it all kicking off on Nov. 12 in Ottawa — the same spot the eventual Grey Cup Champion will be crowned.

For wall to wall coverage on the road to the Grey Cup, CFL.ca has you covered with all the latest insight, analysis and breaking news throughout the playoffs.

Playoff time.  :woot:

My opinion is that there are only three litigate contenders for the Grey Cup. Edmonton, Winnipeg & Toronto.

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/19/stage-set-105th-grey-cup-presented-shaw/

QuoteTORONTO — The scene is set for the 105th Grey Cup presented by Shaw which will see the Toronto Argonauts take on the Calgary Stampeders at TD Place next Sunday.

The Argonauts punched their ticket Sunday afternoon with a last-minute victory at home against the Saskatchewan Roughriders, while the Stampeders are making their third appearance in four years after handling the surging Edmonton Eskimos.

This will be the fourth time the two clubs have met in the big game with the Argos holding a 2-1 advantage.  The Boatmen took the 100th Grey Cup on home turf back in 2012 and also earned the memorable 1991 victory on the strength of the now infamous Rocket Ismail return touchdown.  The Stamps got the first win in 1972 when they upset the favoured Joe Theissman-led Argonauts.

105GC NEED TO KNOW

The Toronto Argonauts will be making their 23rd Grey Cup appearance going 16-6 in those games. The last time they made it to the game was the 100th Grey Cup in 2012 when they beat the Calgary Stampeders 35-22.

The Calgary Stampeders are making their 16th Grey Cup appearance, going 7-8 in those games. This will be their second consecutive Grey Cup appearance. The last time they won the Grey Cup was in the 101st Grey Cup when they defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 20-16.

Toronto and Calgary have met three times in the Grey Cup; 2012 (Toronto won 35-22), 1991 (Toronto won 36-21) and 1971 (Calgary won 14-11).
Calgary swept the season series versus Toronto winning in Week 7 41-24 and in Week 10 23-7.

This will be Dave Dickenson's second Grey Cup game (0-1) as a head coach. This will be Bo Levi Mitchell's third appearance as a starter (1-1).

This will be Marc Trestman's fourth Grey Cup game (2-1) as a head coach. This will be Ricky Ray's fifth Grey Cup game as a starter (3-1).

This will be the sixth Grey Cup Ottawa has hosted; 2004, 1988, 1967, 1940, 1939 and 1925.

Kickoff is at 6:30pm ET next Sunday, November 26th at sold out TD Place. For broadcast and streaming details, click here.
[/url]

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/24/commissioner-ambrosie-highlights-major-steps-forward-2017/

QuoteOTTAWA — The Canadian Football League is strong and looking towards an even brighter future, says Commissioner Randy Ambrosie.

"Our mission is to take our league to even greater heights," Ambrosie told those at the annual State of the League news conference Friday in Ottawa.

Five months into his tenure as the league's 14th Commissioner, Ambrosie highlighted some key metrics:

• It is expected that one in three Canadians will watch at least part of the 105th Grey Cup presented by Shaw on TSN and RDS this Sunday at 6 pm ET.

• Two million fans attended a CFL game this year.

• 2.4 million watch the CFL on TSN and RDS each regular season weekend.

• Playoff ratings for the divisional semifinals were up seven per cent and ratings for the divisional finals were up 15 per cent from a year ago.

• Offensive scoring is up 19 per cent and penalties are down 14 per cent since 2014.

• The league has seen $2 billion invested in recent years in new and improved venues, including the opening of the new Mosaic Stadium this year in Saskatchewan.

• fans are engaging with the league online like never before, with 20.7 million video views this year on CFL social media channels; 25 million page views on CFL.ca; 175,000 fans playing some form of CFL fantasy and 60,000 downloads of the league's CFL Football Frenzy mobile game.

Ambrosie cited several new steps forward for the league in 2017:

• The launch of its Diversity is Strength campaign, which brought a message of inclusion to the CFL's own sidelines and events with youth, including a #BringItIn Rally with hundreds of local school children here this week.

• The introduction of Mark's CFL Week, a fan- and media-friendly offseason showcase for the league's leading players and top prospects;

• The mid-season decision to improve game flow by reducing coaches' video challenges to one per team per game;

• The CFL NFL Flag Football tournament for youth that included competitions in every CFL city and culminated in a championship played here this week.

• An unprecedented agreement with the Canadian Football League Players' Association to ban full contact practices during the regular season plus an extension of the season to reduce the number of short turnarounds between games.

"The health and safety of our players is of paramount importance to us," said Ambrosie, who played in the CFL for nine seasons and was a member of the Edmonton Eskimos team that won the Grey Cup in 1993.

Addressing the issue of concussions in sport, Ambrosie described as "state of the art" the league's approach to promoting awareness among players and working to prevent, diagnose, assess and treat concussions.

He vowed to continue to work with experts in the medical and scientific communities as research evolves.

He praised the work CFL teams and players do in the community, including the Be More Than a Bystander program that combats violence against women, Purolator Tackle Hunger which supports local food banks, CP Has Heart and its efforts to promote heart health, and many more.

On the prospect of the CFL adding a tenth team, Ambrosie confirmed an "enthusiastic and credible" group has come forward with hopes of securing a franchise for Halifax. But he stressed that discussions are in the early stages and a lot of work has to be done before any decisions are made.

"I know this can feel like unfinished business for many Canadians and especially our fans," he said.

"But we must do our due diligence to ensure any expansion would make our entire league stronger over the long term."

The Calgary Stampeders will face the Toronto Argonauts Sunday in the 105th Grey Cup presented by Shaw, which will also feature a half-time performance by Shania Twain.

To be played here at TD Place Stadium at Lansdowne Park, the home of the Ottawa REDBLACKS, the Grey Cup is the biggest single day sporting event in Canada and one of the country's most watched events of any kind.

cflnut

105th Grey Cup Champions are the Toronto Argonauts.
Calgary 24 @ Toronto 27 Game Recap

DeVier Posey named the Grey Cup MVP

Jerome Messam named the Most Valuable Canadian

Toronto Argonauts receive the Grey Cup

This was definitely one of the more enjoyable Grey Cups I've watched over the past few years.

rollntider

I watched a few games on ESPN this year. It was cool seeing Dunnigan on the show panel. Brought back sweet memories of that brief CFL experiment in Bham.

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/20/als-hire-sherman-next-head-coach/

QuoteMONTREAL – A new era is set to begin in Montreal as the Alouettes announced that they have named long time NFL and NCAA coach Mike Sherman as the club's new head coach, the 23rd in franchise history.

The hire comes after the Als finished 3-15 and parted ways with former coach Jacques Chapdelaine in September and was replaced on an interim basis by general manager Kavis Reed.

"We went through a thorough selection process, but from the beginning, we knew that Mike was the man for the job. We liked his vision of the team and his expectations", said Alouettes' General Manager Kavis Reed. "He has experience as a head coach at the professional level and he will know how to motivate his players and push them to perform to their full potential."

Although a new name in CFL circles, Sherman arrives with a long resume after spending time as both a head coach and offensive coordinator in the NFL and NCAA, primarily with the Green Bay Packers and Texas A&M Aggies.

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/19/much-fun-man-trent-richardson-first-cfl-season/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2749275

QuoteSigned in September by the Saskatchewan Roughriders, RB Trent Richardson is grateful to the CFL and the Saskatchewan Roughriders for his first season up North.

"I appreciate the CFL. I appreciate Saskatchewan. The whole team, man, for what they did for me, I can't never repay them back." Richardson said in a recent article by Gerald Narciso on Bleacher Report.

The article goes on to explain how in Canada the pressures associated with Richardson's draft status were gone and allowed Richardson to have a "fresh start".

"A big thing for me going to Canada was to get back on the field with a fresh start," Richardson said via Bleacher Report. "Not a lot of people around me ... just being not distracted and playing football like I usually play football."

In his first CFL season Richardson appeared in four games, totaling 259-yards on the ground to go with two touchdowns.  He was especially impressive in a week 19 game where he had 20 carries for 127 yards and the two scores.

"It was almost like it was a rebirth," Richardson said.

Richardson also spoke to the passion of Rider Nation and truly recognized their passion. "That's one of the biggest things with people here—they love their team, they love their green," he said.

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/01/31/ticats-say-no-deal-imminent-johnny-manziel/

QuoteHAMILTON — It remains one of the most talked-about stories of the CFL off-season, and so far the Johnny Manziel saga has no sign of an end.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats put out a statement on Wednesday night, revealing that no deal is imminent between the team and the former Texas A&M star:

"While the discussions with Johnny Manziel and his representative have been very cordial and informative, there is nothing imminent and nothing to report. We will continue to do our due diligence and will have no further public comment on the matter as we move forward."

That's a bit of a turn from earlier this week, when Ticats head coach June Jones took to Twitter and hinted that a decision could come this week.

Wednesday's statement comes on the same day as the Jan. 31 deadline set by Manziel and his agent earlier this month.

Earlier in the day, TSN's Farhan Lalji reported that the two sides are far apart. But Manziel appeared to deny the report in a cryptic tweet.

An important date on the Ticats' off-season calendar arrives in two weeks, when free agency opens on Feb. 13 — with or without Manziel on the team.

Jeremiah Masoli is the team's projected starter going into 2018, but Manziel could challenge the incumbent should be sign.