News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2014 Stanley Cup Final Set

Started by TheNorm, June 02, 2014, 09:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Out of the Eastern Conference are the New York Rangers (just one year after firing HC John Tortorella and hiring the man Torts replaced in Vancouver-Alain Vigneault), and out of the Western Conference are the amazingly resilient Los Angeles Kings. These Kings played in three game 7's in the first three rounds (coming back from 3-0 down against San Jose in the first round on top of that) and won them all on the road. Having teams from the two biggest media markets in the country play for the Stanley Cup has got to have NHL bigwigs drooling over the potential media exposure over the next 1-2 weeks (and seriously, how far is that horseshoe shoved up Bettman's ass right now? Some clowns have all the luck).

Now I'd normally try to keep the schadenfreude to a minimum, but when it comes to the Blackhawks and their mouth-breathing idiotic bandwagon fanbase, that's just not going to happen-call it "Chi"-denfreude if you want. So suck it, Chicago. Another especially gratifying point about the Hawks bid to repeat as Cup champs getting derailed: the 1997-1998 Detroit Red Wings are still the last team to hold the honor of repeating as Stanley Cup Champs. Again: suck it, Chicago. :D

Snap prediction: the popular pick would be to go with the LA Kings, seeing as they played in a much more dominant conference and they are one hell of a hockey team. But the Rangers have been playing well the last few weeks, and they've also gotten stellar goaltending (as usual) out of Henrik Lundqvist. Jonathan Quick is also a great goaltender but he sure hasn't played like it in these playoffs. I think this is going to be a great series, and the Kings are going to have their hands full with this Rangers squad...but it's still the West in the end. Kings in 7, because they simply wouldn't have it any other way.

If you've got predictions, let's see 'em.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Wish I would have seen this in time.  I picked LA, although Im happy with whoever wins it.  All my evils are out of the playoffs.
I didn't mind Chicago as much, but what soured me on them as the series went on were the dives.  I think I ranted about this here already; I get why you do it, you don't have any integrity and can't win man-o e man-o without cheating and apparently you can sleep at night.  I never did it and never could do it, on any level.
I realize that everyone does it, so I have to live with it, but I like the teams that do it the least.  I like a lot of Ranger guys, but Lundqvuist embellished last night, yea, he was hit, but he sure added something to it.
And so did another guy, can't remember the play, but it just kills the spirit of the game for me.  I hope we don't see it much.

I agree on Quick norm, I think that while he is a great goaltender, he lets in key goals whereas up until last night Lundqvuist has been stellar through and through and I still think he's the better net minder.
My two favorite guys on the ice are Doughty and St. Louis, been pulling for them all along, mostly St. Louis with the story lines surrounding him.

TheNorm

Ah, I remember the player-it was Rick Nash that dove. Got the penalty call too.

These Kings just don't die. The worst thing it seems the Rangers can do is take a two goal lead at any point in the game-the Kings haven't held a lead since Game 6 of the Hawks series and they're up 2-0.

Maybe I'm biased because I used to play goal, but there's no way in hell that third Kings goal should've counted-Lundqvist was interfered with on the play. Leave it to Dan O'Halloran to absolutely blow that play. How that hack still gets picked to ref Cup Final games, I'll never know.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Rangers live to fight another day...barely. Henrik Lundqvist deserves 1st, 2nd, and 3rd star of the game tonight and you can't convince me otherwise.

Crewe

Yes that goal shouldn't have counted but ultimately I don't think it matters. LA was the better team throughout.
Yes! Nash was the other one I was thinking of; you might wanna get yourself evaluated if you're in tune with me lol