News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Started by BojackHorsefella, December 16, 2017, 01:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

thaima1shu

Saw it twice yesterday in IMAX. Loved it. More thoughts later.

BojackHorsefella

I'm seeing it again in Dolby on Monday. Last night I got out of work 15 minutes before my showing, basic seating (MoviePassed it) so no reserved seating. I was in the 2nd row from the screen. Still loved it.

TheNorm

Saw it yesterday in IMAX, and can't wait to see it again...absolutely loved it. There's my spoiler free review.
Definitely need more time to process this one, and multiple viewings. So many different things to talk about. They've really knocked it out of the park with these last two trilogy films and Rogue One.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

lalalalalalala Im not listening to you Jeffrey....

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 16, 2017, 09:38:54 PM
Saw it yesterday in IMAX, and can't wait to see it again...absolutely loved it. There's my spoiler free review.
Definitely need more time to process this one, and multiple viewings. So many different things to talk about. They've really knocked it out of the park with these last two trilogy films and Rogue One.

ok...umm, I hate to say this but uh TFA > TLJ

Spoiler
Not that I hated it mind you, I enjoy it. I really love the deep storylines and I think Ridley and Boyega are simply phenomenal in their roles yet again.
Driver did a wonderful job  with the internal struggle and of course, Hamill. The main characters all did wonderful, but some of the secondary casting... I still think Billie Lourd is weak in this role and Hermione Corfield as the A Wing pilot was just atrocious at least IMO.
Finn waking up and walking around like a sprinkler and no-one bats an eye...BB8 in an AT-AT, Poe hugging his droid...just scenes like that weakened it for me.
I guess I just didn't care for the direction so much, it just seemed too cartoonish at times and yea I know, SW has a history of that but it just didn't mesh well with story this time.
Of course I have to see it several more times so opinions subject to change.
its still better than I,II and III.
My rankings ... V, IV, VII, VIII, VI, I,III, II 

ok let the hate flow...

BojackHorsefella

I can roll with that, although I don't understand the disdain for Poe's affection for BB-8.

Crewe

Spoiler
its not really disdain, just a bit odd treating BB8 like you would a dog....Irealize all this on its own seems nitpicky, but in my mind once you add it all up you get my thoughts above.
Another is the floating through space recovery of Leia. I mean I get why, but coupled with everything it jus seemed a bit much. There were other ways they could've demonstrated her ties with the force instead of doing something that hadn't been experienced in the SW universe yet.
But, like I said, first watch thoughts. I have to go back and watch several more times to see what I missed and that in itself is a mark of a good flick.

TheNorm

Seen it three times now, and still holding steady and enjoyable for me. For a 2.5 hour movie it doesn't feel like it.

Rankings:
1. Empire
2. The Last Jedi
3. Rogue One
4. A New Hope
5. The Force Awakens
6. Return of the Jedi
7. Revenge of the Sith
garbage: Phantom Menace
flaming pile of garbage: Attack of the Clones
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Oh I didn't count rogue one as it wasn't part of the 1-9 stories, but I'll adjust...
V, IV, VII, VIII, Rogue One, VI, I,III, II

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on December 31, 2017, 03:38:38 AM
Oh I didn't count rogue one as it wasn't part of the 1-9 stories, but I'll adjust...
V, IV, VII, VIII, Rogue One, VI, I,III, II

No worries...and I'm sure it's the same for yours, but I should make abundantly clear that the gulf between Return of the Jedi and the movie we have ranked 7th-9th is a VERY WIDE gulf.

Crewe

Sakura

The only Star Wars movie I've ever seen whose reviews went down over time.  Started off at a 96% with an audience score of 60%, now it has a review score of 90% and an audience score of 50% on rotten tomatoes.  For comparison's sake, this movie has a lower score than any of the prequel trilogy films.  Mickey Mouse has done it, they've tanked the Star Wars Saga!

Edit: I should specify, I mean audience score.  The score that actually DOES matter, because you can't buy the audience's reviews.

BojackHorsefella

Except Rotten Tomatoes is one of the worst to go by, especially after they were targeted both after Justice League and after TLJ by some stupid DC fanboys and alt-right groups for the respective movies.

Crewe

I don't rely on RT or any other reviews much, more so on my likes, dislikes and most importantly, people I know that maintain a similar taste in entertainment