UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 Days of TV Challenge

Started by TheNorm, February 05, 2018, 08:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Day 4
Your favorite show ever

This is a really tough question to answer, because it really could change depending on my mood...ultimately though, I've got to go with the show I bought the box set of the entire series for. I was overjoyed when this show ended up first on Amazon Prime Video, and then currently on Netflix. If it were in syndication on a network somewhere, odds are I'd watch it even if there were other things on. It featured an ensemble cast, along with Aaron Sorkin's now trademark witty dialogue and rich developed characters. And if it was an idealistic look at politics back when it aired then (1999-2006, tail end of WJC, majority of GWB), it looks like an alternate paradise universe compared to now. I love this show so much...of course I'm talking about West Wing.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Six Feet Under. Best show ever, bar none, you'll never convince me otherwise. Also the best ending to a series ever.

Crewe

I really liked WW too, only watched it once though.
Never watched Six Feet Under. I'll be in limbo soon, maybe I'll give it a look.
My top 5 ever are really 5 number ones but I'm going with the Dick Van Dyke Show.
Carl Reiner wrote such great characters with a wonderfully creative premise. The show was just damn funny, period. The tell tale sign of good writing here is that they tackled subjects still relevant today, but always kept it within confines of the show.  DVD was a song and dance man, so physically talented with impeccable timing. This is one show where anyone can truly see the chemistry and joy on screen. For the rest of their lives the cast had all said this five year stint was the most fun they ever had, and it shows, believe me,

TheNorm

Day 5
A show you hate

Could probably include this in the unpopular opinion thread (I may already have lol), but this one was easy. Seinfeld by a mile. Seemed like every single one of the characters was an annoying, neurotic mess. F them all.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

I actually just talked about this in the Top 5 thread, but Shameless. Absolutely Shameless.

I basically dated Fiona for 3 years. Her and her family aren't "quirky" or "cute" or whatever. Frank, the patriarch, is basically Homer Simpson and his alcoholism and drug addiction is never truly addressed, nor does he face consequences. He's Homer. He can't be injured or killed by anything.

This show COULD have been an exploration of American poverty, but instead it wants to be a cartoon and make heroes out of these people, rather than bring attention to the actual plight of the family.

Crewe

I bet I've never seen more than a dozen Seinfeld shows.

Most hated? It's a tie.
Morton Downey, Jr Show which invented trash talk tv and Jersey Shore. Both contributed heavily to the decay of society and are equally cancerous.

TheNorm

Day 6
Favorite tv show episode

House, M.D. - "Three Stories"
I really miss this show being on Netflix, and neither Hulu or Prime Video have stepped up to the plate to pick this up yet. This episode was from the first season, and revolves around House teaching a diagnostics lecture. The lecture centers on three patients (a departure from the formula of most episodes aired to this point), and how they differed in their treatment. The lecture eventually fills up with more students as it continues, including his three internists.

I love this episode because the dialogue was witty, and the story was well-written and paced perfectly. It was riveting and you find out a lot about certain characters and their story by the end of it. When this show first landed on Netflix, this was the first episode I'd fired up, and I can guarantee once it hits another streaming service I'll fire it up again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0606046/

rollntider

Day 3
Your favorite new show (aired within the last 2-3 years)
Orange is the New Black. Granted i was not a fan of the last season and it has gotten worse each season, but of the new ones so far I think this is it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0qzXi5oJg

Day 4
Your favorite show ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rY0HJT_CvM

Day 5
A show you hate
Oprah

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on February 10, 2018, 08:53:44 PM
Day 6
Favorite tv show episode

House, M.D. - "Three Stories"
I really miss this show being on Netflix, and neither Hulu or Prime Video have stepped up to the plate to pick this up yet. This episode was from the first season, and revolves around House teaching a diagnostics lecture. The lecture centers on three patients (a departure from the formula of most episodes aired to this point), and how they differed in their treatment. The lecture eventually fills up with more students as it continues, including his three internists.

I love this episode because the dialogue was witty, and the story was well-written and paced perfectly. It was riveting and you find out a lot about certain characters and their story by the end of it. When this show first landed on Netflix, this was the first episode I'd fired up, and I can guarantee once it hits another streaming service I'll fire it up again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0606046/

this would have been mine also, loved that show. I am going to cheat and copy you

BojackHorsefella

That's a great episode of House.

Going along with my favorite show ever, my favorite episode ever is the series finale of Six Feet Under. I won't get into spoilers, but it was a such a perfect ending and so true to the series. I always cry without fail.

Crewe

I'll go with the Sopranos, Whitecaps.
This, is what episodic tv should be and a great example of why this show changed everything.
You won't get it by just watching this episode, it's 4 plus seasons of layered plot lines, deeply developed, flawed characters embroiled in an unflinching portrayal of family life.

BojackHorsefella

The episode where Pauly and...Jesus, I can't remember the nephew's name...Christopher, right? Anyway, when they're in the woods trying to find the Russian. Best Sopranos episode.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on February 11, 2018, 01:07:12 AM
The episode where Pauly and...Jesus, I can't remember the nephew's name...Christopher, right? Anyway, when they're in the woods trying to find the Russian. Best Sopranos episode.

Christopher. Yea the Pine Barrens episode is great. And I think it's one that plays well on its own

TheNorm

Day 7
Least favorite episode of one of your favorites

Parks and Recreation - Sister City (S2E5)

Let's be completely honest: you're probably going to see quite a few Parks & Recreation picks from me over the next few weeks, it was one of my favorites. That being said...the first season was uneven and showed very little flashes of what it would be. Season two started off strongly, making Leslie Knope a little less similar to The Office's Michael Scott (thank god) and more like the leader she would become, and the supporting cast also played bigger (and better) parts. For some reason, this episode fell back to the season one formula of making Leslie someone that could easily be fooled. The episode revolves around the department hosting their counterparts from their sister city of Boraqua, Venezuela. The department initially thinks that their visitors will be impressed with American luxuries, only to find out the Venezuelans think Pawnee is a dump. The episode devolves into them mocking and ridiculing Leslie, and really it's just foolish. They also think since Tom (Aziz Ansari's character) is an errand boy for whatever reason.

http://parksandrecreation.wikia.com/wiki/Sister_City

Crewe

Alright, since nor went with P & C, Ill go with The Office lol

Scott's Tots
Its so cringeworthy, even some die hard re watchers skip this episode. Scott promises third graders he will pay for their college tuition but when that day arrives, he cant come through with his promise.
This is actually a crowning achievement for the show because its one of the times Michael Scott becomes self aware and this fuels his growth as a person and aids him in his maturation process. He is such a fascinating character to watch, although I know norm will never sign off on that ;-)
In any event, Scott's Tots gets my vote here just because its one the entire office fan base would vote for if they were here.