News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Voice, Keith Jackson

Started by TheNorm, January 13, 2018, 09:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

For me, he was easily the greatest voice of college football and he brings back so many memories. No one has come close since. RIP Mr. Jackson, and thanks for the memories.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22076254/legendary-broadcaster-keith-jackson-dies-age-89

Post some of your favorite Keith Jackson moments here if you'd like. He called some of my favorite moments in Michigan football history, like these two punt returns.

He had been retired a few years by this point but he did the intro for the 100th meeting between Michigan and Ohio State.

"The MVP in today's ballgame? Uh...you want to know who it is? I'm standing alongside his proud daddy: Quarterback Brian Griese of Michigan."
One of the best moments...just click ahead to the 3:30 mark. :)

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I dont have any specific recollections but he certainly was a renowned announcer.

TheNorm

I think the thing for me that always stuck out the most was he knew when to just let the atmosphere speak for itself, instead of speaking over the moment. I find too many announcers now don't realize that there are times when the moment is bigger than your voice.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

yes, this! Good call! So many moments ruined by speaking over a big moment!