News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Last of Us

Started by rollntider, May 05, 2014, 10:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

I had enough store credit to pick this up and start it yesterday.
I asked everyone I knew, is this like Uncharted and every single person said no.
And you know what? It is exactly like Uncharted as expected. The hero even looks and talks like Drake.
Fight actions are simply button mashers with no combinations or variation *yawn* and it has pointless puzzles. By that I mean, it funnels you to point A obstructed by say a huge truck where you can't pass.  Now you have to spend an hours worth of time searching for a ladder.  I embellish but you get the point.
Casual conversations take place at certain points regardless of what is going on, even if you are twenty five yards apart and are running in another direction.
Enemies four feet away can't hear or see you until you cross the magic threshold then of course it's action time.
Scenes that deem utter stealth by you are ignored by your allies.  As you try to move as quietly as possible, your idiots are fumbling about with reckless regard  and sometimes the baddies hear them and sometimes they don't, but either way they will always hear you.
These are not issues only for Uncharted, err Last of Us, but across the gaming platform, but I had heard such great things through and through about this game and deep down I was hoping I wasn't right, but, I was spot on Im sad to say.
And this after barely getting into it. 
Some parts thus far have been fun and entertaining but overall, I just kinda have that meh factor, most likely because this is exactly why I couldn't finish Uncharted 3.
I'll keep playing and see how it turns out and update and in the meantime, get off my lawn...

Crewe

while my points still stand, I have to add that I am enjoying this game.  It's not overwhelmingly impressive but it's fun and its a good story.
Ill add more when I finish it, if I finish it.

Crewe

Finished this last night.
My complaints about this game are;
The fights are button mashers, but do offer a variety of animations.
The rest of my complaints are more about the restraint this sort of game exhibits. One example is you move through a deserted cabin resort, kill a few bad guys then hang around and loot for as long as you want with no fear of reinforcements who are mere yards away but somehow ignore all the fighting and gunplay.  Cross that magic threshold and youre in deep.
Same goes for entering a room with baddies. You can make all the noise you want and even fire at the door but nothing will happen until you open it.

Now, here's the good stuff.
Great story and animations.
Your allies throughout are more helpful than Ive experienced in other games.
I despise boss levels.  And in LOU they are worked in pretty well so as not to feel like a lego stack to the top.
Changing weapons is much more fluid and more in the realm of reality.
Your guy is carrying a crapload of weapons but what you see him carry on screen closely mirrors your intentory.
All in all a fun game and I would recommend.
I like the sniper mission the best.

Sakura