News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Sports Vault Thread

Started by TheNorm, March 14, 2020, 10:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Jesus man Bure was amazing!

Flyers LOL I used to say Lindros was a bust, and I still defend that, because when youre called the Next One, you best put up some HOF numbers and he didnt, so, boom, in my book lol

Then what fight am I thinking of? I know they squared off straight away and Claude covered up immediately because he received a rash of shit for it

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on March 26, 2020, 09:01:48 PM
Jesus man Bure was amazing!

Flyers LOL I used to say Lindros was a bust, and I still defend that, because when youre called the Next One, you best put up some HOF numbers and he didnt, so, boom, in my book lol

Then what fight am I thinking of? I know they squared off straight away and Claude covered up immediately because he received a rash of shit for it

Well he did turtle a lot, so could be any number of them lol.

That Wings/Flyers series was great. Everyone assumed Scotty would put Konstantinov on Lindros and the Legion of Doom line, but instead he put the Lidstrom defensive pairing on that line. Totally stymied them!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

One other thing I wanted to mention that I forgot: if you like hockey even just a little bit you really need to see "Russian Five", a documentary that dropped a couple years ago. Lot of really good insight and behind the scenes stuff about how the Wings ended up acquiring Fedorov, Fetisov, Kozlov, Konstantinov, and Larionov.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

So in 1980, the newly christened Astro, Nolan Ryan led the team to their first NLCS vs the Phillies.
Man, did I ever love this team, still do. Unfortunately for me, I was already introduced to Houston heartbreak the prior two years with the Oiler and Steelers wars, which is a whole other post.
it seems to me, when I look back on Houston heartbreak teams, we are always against the very best, sans the 93 Bills, no offense.
But seriously, the 70's Steelers, I mean, c'mon man. Anyone else and we are top dog.
Same with the Astros vs the Phillies and Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Tug McGraw and Greg Luzinnski. Ok, thats not quite fair since we did have Ryan, Joe Morgan, Jose Cruz and Cesar Cedeno too. But still...
In any event, game one was the most ordinary; 3-1 Phillies in Philly.
Game 2 however, was a nail biter until Cruz and Cedeno led a charge in the tenth inning that saw the Astros score four runs and win 7-4 (Philly scored one in the bottom of tenth)

Game 3 in Houston
A zero zero tie in a true pitchers ballpark. This was baseball and this was the game I attended.
A tied best of three game series, at 0-0 here and its now in to extra innings, again?! I couldn't take much more, seriously.
And at the Dome, we were sitting close to the concourse on the third base side, close to home plate.
In the 11th, Joe Morgan led off with a triple and the roof about came off of that place, it was so loud an so great.
And then two intentional walks to get to Denny Walling. Fingers crossed...he can do almost anything but strikeout, just dont strikeout! Please please please dont strikeout.
I remember it to this day. The a soft fly to left, is it deep enough, is he going? He is, he scores! I couldn't see at all, just this sea of hands, my eardrums bursting, me jumping up and down trying to hear what happened.
Soon, I knew, the crowd reaction told me it was a SAC fly. Astros win in 11! I was almost crushed in that crowd, being hugged, mobbed by celebration.
My dad and I were at that game and it was without a doubt one of the most fun times. There's just something about dads and sons and baseball games man.

Unfortunaltely, that was the highest we would reach. Game 4. yet another extra inning game in which the Phillies pulled it out 5-3 in 10 after putting up 3 in the 8th. That hurt, that hurt bad.

Game 5. Do or die.
With a 2-2 tie in the 7th, the Astros put up 3 to take a 5-2 lead. This was awesome!
But nerve wracking. And it didnt take long either. In the eighth, the Phillies put up 5 freakin runs. Five.
Just like that, we were down 5-7 in the 8th and hope was dwindling. Such a rollercoaster of emotions, again, that wouldn't last long. In the bottom half, the Astros rely and put up two more to tie. Nothing in the 9th. Extra innings again? Are you kidding me? Thats four games in a row.
Back to back Philly doubles in the tenth gives them the 8-7 lead, Astros go down 1-2-3. End of story.
I cried man, I cried just like I did for the Oilers. But me, being a baseball player, I was really hooked in to the Astros. This was soul crushing.
So what did I do? I decided to root for Kansas City. I mean, George Brett after all, right?
Of course the Phillies swept them. And the sepsis just kept eating away at me. It wouldn't be until 1986 where we would get another crack but then those stinking foul coked up Mets. Geesh.

So here's the Walling game.
FF to about 3:28 to see Morgan's triple. Also on a bad legs nd he hobbled around in a clutch moment long before Gibson so there's that.  :D
Houston has the top two spots on longest post games in MLB history and also, no other series has had four consecutive extra inning playoff games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucBPiK8bM3E

TheNorm

Nice to see ESPN and some of the other sports networks have jumped on this idea lol

Anyway, got hooked in to watching the Ali/Frazier trilogy on ESPN last night. I'd seen most of the second and third fights, but really hadn't seen much of the first one...damn, all three of those were incredible fights. Smokin' Joe's left hook that knocked down Ali in the 15th of the first bout would've been a KO against any other boxer, good lord. That era of heavyweights was something special.

On a side note, while I love the Rocky movies as much as anyone, why in hell did it take Philly so damn long to put up a statue of one of the great heavyweights from their hometown but they kept their Rocky statue up since basically Rocky III? I might be irrationally annoyed by this lol.

Crewe

yea man, those days of boxing were the best.
I agree about Philly, but what else do you expect from such a crap city

Crewe

Let me just say, f the Steelers!

This game still hurts.
This was the beginning of not knowing wtf a catch is by the NFL. they kept flip flopping, he was out of bounds and when its obvious that want the case they said well he didnt have complete control of the ball, which he certainly did.

I love the reaction of the Oiler coaches, you dont see that raw emotion much anymore from upstairs.

Crewe

Quote from: Crewe on April 26, 2020, 05:46:57 PM
Let me just say, f the Steelers!

1979 AFC Championship Game

This game still hurts.
This was the beginning of not knowing wtf a catch is by the NFL. they kept flip flopping, he was out of bounds and when its obvious that want the case they said well he didnt have complete control of the ball, which he certainly did.

I love the reaction of the Oiler coaches, you dont see that raw emotion much anymore from upstairs.

TheNorm

So on this date back in 2004, Game Five of the NBA Finals between the heavily favored Los Angeles Lakers and the upstart Detroit Pistons took place. Almost all experts and I'm pretty sure a good portion of the people here (the ones that cared anyway) had the Lakers easily dispatching the Pistons squad. To be fair, no one could really blame them: the Lakers had star power, already won a few titles with the Shaq & Kobe combo, and had Phil Jackson (perhaps you've heard of him) as head coach. The Pistons had a collection of misfits and outcasts for their team, and a coach that liked to wander around a bit in Larry Brown.

But phenom and I knew: this team was going to surprise everyone...and they did through the first four games. If not for a miracle shot by Kobe near the end of regulation in Game 2 that sent it to OT and a Lakers win, this series probably ends in a sweep. The Pistons were just that damn dominant on defense, and those parts that some called outcasts and on their last chance (like Rasheed Wallace and Chauncey Billups) were by far the better team.

As for me, I was *supposed* to work the night of this game. I say supposed because well, there's just no way in hell I was missing this. So I called around 3:30 in the afternoon (was still working midnights then), told them I was sick which was utter bullshit and they knew it. They even called back once to make sure I wanted to call in since we were really busy at the time, and I said yep. "You know I'm going to have to write you up for this, right?" said my boss. "Okay." At least I didn't need to fake recovering at work the following night. So with all that said, I present to you Game 5.

https://youtu.be/so0UopmwdDk

Some observations: was really nice to hear Al Michaels and Doc Rivers on the call for this. This Pistons team was an absolute blast to watch; they closed out on defense, made the Lakers work for almost every bucket, and every steal or missed shot was recovered and tended to turn into two points for the good guys. Also neat to see how basketball has evolved just in the relatively short timeline; the teams combined for 30 3-points attempted which nowadays seems really low, and no team is typically winning a game shooting barely 14% from beyond the arc like the Pistons did. This Pistons team may also be the last team to win a title in the NBA without a true superstar (or superstars).
Also a little weird seeing guys like Kobe and Stuart Scott doing their thing, and NBA commish David Stern too. Still can't believe Kobe and Stu are gone.

Crewe

I was no real fan of Detroit, but I, like most I imagine, had serious Laker fatigue, so I was ok with this one.

Crewe

Just watched this fight again, the Hagler Hearns war.
the 70's and 80's were such great decades for fights and this one was just a street fight for the three rounds Hearns lasted.
I didnt like him and was pulling for Hagler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmWbOw6KJ6g

TheNorm

While I don't appreciate the slander of Detroit's own Tommy "Motor City Cobra" Hearns  ;) , that was a great fight. Marvin Hagler was a beast and the better man won that fight.

And for the record I love Tommy Hearns but he'd typically have moments where you'd go "what the f*ck are you doing???", none more obvious than the first Hearns/Leonard fight. Props to Leonard for doing what he had to do and getting the KO he needed, but if Hearns would've just boxed the last three rounds instead of going for the KO himself he cruises.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 12, 2020, 12:30:56 PM
While I don't appreciate the slander of Detroit's own Tommy "Motor City Cobra" Hearns  ;) , that was a great fight. Marvin Hagler was a beast and the better man won that fight.

And for the record I love Tommy Hearns but he'd typically have moments where you'd go "what the f*ck are you doing???", none more obvious than the first Hearns/Leonard fight. Props to Leonard for doing what he had to do and getting the KO he needed, but if Hearns would've just boxed the last three rounds instead of going for the KO himself he cruises.

I agree with al of this sans the slander of my supposed slander ;-)