News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on May 15, 2018, 11:38:18 PM
good call on make it rain! SOA is how I discovered Son of a Preacherman by Peg Bundy. Was surprised she could sing so well. Also how I discovered Hey Hey My My had been covered. Come to think of it, SOA led me to quite a few discoveries

I think she was once a backup singer for Bette Midler also.

Crewe

Crewe

So I was in this brief discussion on Twitter with this supposed journalist who made the claim the Knights in the Finals was the greatest sports story ever.
So, in tune with that, I thought, lets do a Top 5. Now I know we've had a few Top 5 sports moments of all time, or that we've witnessed and the like.
To make this a little tougher, try not to use an event you think you may have used already. I don't think it will be difficult.
Hell, I can think of probably five Ali fights that top that, or even Nolan Ryan feats..., matter of fact.
Top 5 sports stories that top the 2018 Golden Knights

Nolan Ryan's 5th, 6th or 7th no hitters.
Nolan Ryan's 3509th K
Jack Nicklaus' 5th or 6th Masters
Gretzky's 802nd goal
Federer's 8th Wimbledon

Im not making light of the Knights efforts at all, it is a wonderful feat.
But is it really a great sports story of all time, top 20 even? I mean with FA and the way the team was put together....is it that much of a feat?

TheNorm

Hahaha what? Greatest sports story ever? Damn, they aren't even the greatest sports story in the past 10 months. They aren't even the first expansion team to make the Stanley Cup Final in their inaugural season (the St. Louis Blues did that). It's a good story, it's cool, but c'mon...anyway.

Top 5 Sports Stories that Top the 2018 Golden Knights *(and that I haven't used yet)*

Serena Williams sets Grand Slam record
US Women defeat Canada for Gold Medal, 2018 Olympics
Houston Astros win World Series
16 seed UMBC upsets 1 seed Virginia
Loyola-Chicago makes it to 2018 Final Four

Ones I left out:
Colin Kaepernick and JJ Watt are incredible human beings
US Men's Curling Wins Gold Medal, 2018 Olympics
Chloe Kim and Shaun White pick up US Gold Medals for Snowboard Halfpipe, 2018 Olympics
This buzzer beater (sorry Crewe)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I agree, obviously. This guy was supposedly some awarded sports journalist, but in the days of everyone gets a trophy, and his obviously tinted declarations, I have my doubts about his stellar skills.

Ill give you a pass on the buzzer beater because, a) I like you, and b) you listed the Astros :D

TheNorm

Today, your mission is: Top 5 Final Lines in Movies

Inglourious Basterds
"You know somethin', Utivich? I think this just might be my masterpiece."

Ferris Bueller's Day Off *ignoring the end credits sequences
"Life moves pretty fast...if you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."

Good Will Hunting
"Son of a bitch...stole my line."

Training Day
"What a day...what a motherf*ckin' day." (I say this one a lot)

Iron Man
"The truth is...I am Iron Man." (I loved this, capped RDJ's first go round as Iron Man perfectly)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Oh god gotta do this before anyone takes mine.

5. Some Like It Hot - "Well, nobody's perfect."

4. Sandlot - "I don't believe it! The Jet stole home! The Jet stole home!"

3. Goodfellas - "Right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce and I got egg noodles and ketchup. I'm an average nobody. I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook."

2. The Godfather - "Don Corleone."

1. Captain America: The First Avenger - "I had a date."

Crewe

Of course you fellas took some of mine lol
Have to start this list with a cheater...its actually the second to last line....

1 Bad News Bears
Hey Yankees, take your apology and your trophy and shove it straight up your ass!
And the lame ender.....And another thing, just wait till next year.

2 Goodfellas
I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook

3 A Clockwork Orange
I was cured alright

4 Magnum Force
A man's got to know his limitations

5 Caddyshack
Hey everybody, we're all gonna get laid

BojackHorsefella

I almost went with A Clockwork Orange except I absolutely hate that ending. The book's ending was better.

/booksnob

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on May 23, 2018, 11:37:28 PM
I almost went with A Clockwork Orange except I absolutely hate that ending. The book's ending was better.

/booksnob

I assume you mean the "happy" 21 chapter ending?

I'm on the fence about films made from books. It's two completely different storytelling methods. Comparisons are inevitable but that doesn't mean they both can't stand on merit.
It can be universally agreed that some adaptations are terrible, ala One for the money.
But, say, the girl with the dragon tattoo, a much better project and far more complex to try to visualize and yet, I still prefer the book.
As for Orange, I like both, but prefer the film. Which, as I understand was based on the book that published only 20 chapters, leaving out the lighter ending.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on May 24, 2018, 12:43:19 AM
I assume you mean the "happy" 21 chapter ending?
As for Orange, I like both, but prefer the film. Which, as I understand was based on the book that published only 20 chapters, leaving out the lighter ending.

You know what, I did not know the book was originally shortened in the US. I thought Kubrick had deliberately left out the "happy" ending. I see now that Burgess, the author, was upset at the US publisher for not including the chapter to begin with, not with Kubrick for excluding it. I've had my wires crossed on this one.

Crewe

yea, I wasn't sure I was remembering correctly, but I thought Kubrick wasn't even aware of the original ending until after he made the movie.

TheNorm

Something fun for this one: Your Top 5 songs that remind you of summer

1. DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - Summertime

Don't care if you call it cheesy (it is), but this has always been one of my favorite summer jams. Had just graduated from high school when this dropped and this was the anthem. Nostalgia levels high for this one.

2. Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime

Not sure what it is about this song for me, but it's just fun.

3. Bryan Adams - Summer of '69

4. Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop the Feeling!

So damn catchy and I never really got tired of this.

5. Bell Biv Devoe - Poison

This was on constant play in my car during the summer of 1990, along with Johnny Gill's "Rub You the Right Way, Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" and Faith No More's "Epic". Damn that was a fun summer; first full summer I could drive and heading into the last year of high school.

Crewe

Songs that remind me of summer, in random order

Van Halen
Summer Nights

Audioslave
Jewel of the summertime

Harry Nilsson
Coconut

Jimmy Buffet
Changes in Latitudes Changes in Attitudes

Alice Cooper
School's Out

honorable mentions
Van Halen Dancing in the Streets, Ramones Rockaway Beach, B-52's Love Shack

BojackHorsefella

Alright, give this a go:

Sugar Ray - Every Morning

For the record, I hate this song, however, when it came out in 97 or 98, I was in 5th or 6th grade, and it played CONSTANTLY on the radio while were at the pool, that summer and more or less every summer until streaming music became a thing. Nothing has ever said "summer is here" quite like this one.

Grouplove - Shark Attack

A lot of songs I heard during the summers on SiriusXM Alt-Nation, and this is definitely one of those songs. From the overly tropical tone to the manic energy, this is definitely one for the beach.

They Might Be Giants - Doctor Worm

If Summer goes by and I don't play this song at least once, go ahead and kill me, I've been body snatched or demonically possessed. I still remember when this video (which I don't even think is the official video) debuted on Nickelodeon, only saw it the one time, but whether it was burnt CDs, the Zune, or whatever cell phone I'd have at the time, this song has been with me since. Just a lot of fun.

Valencia - Safe To Say

First heard this song, and this band, on MLB 08 and immediately loved them. A mainstay on all the summer playlists I used to make yearly, if it's good enough for them boys, it's good enough for me.

Passion Pit - Sleepyhead

I used to love running outside to this song, before the shin splints became unbearable and everlasting. Such a great beat, I love the energy of it. Always pumped me up during the summer.