News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

NBA 2K19

Started by TheNorm, January 09, 2019, 09:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

It was on sale for cheap last week on the Playstation Store and I haven't played it in a couple of seasons, so I thought now would be a good time to pick the game up. Not disappointed. I always felt this game rivaled the MLB series in regards to atmosphere, and the MyCareer mode (think Road to the Show) with the story and immersing you into that life is something RTTS should aspire to.

This time the MyCareer mode starts off with a prelude of sorts, where your created player decides to leave school a little too early and ends up starting his career in the Chinese league.

Still getting used to the controls since it's been awhile, but the game plays a great game of basketball. Worth a look if you're needing a hoops game and can find it at a discounted rate.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

The path I chose in regards to this franchise-maybe picking it up once every couple of years-is something I may seriously consider doing for other sports titles in the future. This isn't a knock on 2K at all, as a matter of fact, as far as sports titles go this team does an amazing job with the NBA product. I wish EA (and to some extent, SCEA with MLB) would put this much work into their sports franchises as much as 2K does here.

The reason I may go this route going forward is simply because this game just feels fresh, and less like a roster update with minor tweaks like other sports titles are notorious for feeling like.

Any thoughts?
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

haven't played any of the 2k basketball series so I don't have an opinion.
However, I can say, the simple roster update for $65 bucks got old fast. That said, I still succumb to MLB despite such little attention to RTTS (my focus) sans last year.

Rigg44

Quote from: TheNorm on February 10, 2019, 11:21:27 AM
The path I chose in regards to this franchise-maybe picking it up once every couple of years-is something I may seriously consider doing for other sports titles in the future. This isn't a knock on 2K at all, as a matter of fact, as far as sports titles go this team does an amazing job with the NBA product. I wish EA (and to some extent, SCEA with MLB) would put this much work into their sports franchises as much as 2K does here.

The reason I may go this route going forward is simply because this game just feels fresh, and less like a roster update with minor tweaks like other sports titles are notorious for feeling like.

Any thoughts?

I could not blame you for going that route.  I always wait for black Friday and just pick it up then for 30-40 so I don't feel I am paying to much for a roster update.  I will say that 2k puts a lot of work into the game and there is always more than just a roster update in most game modes.  If all you do is play one mode then I could see every other year as the way to go. 

Did you play any my league?  the feature I have enjoyed the most that was added this year is the ability to use prior draft classes.  I am trying to draft all the 80's celtics onto my expansion team. Its been fun.

TheNorm

Been meaning to try that mode but I've been having so much fun with MyCareer so far I haven't even ventured to MyLeague yet. It's on my radar though.

FTR, I created a 6'1" PG focused on Playmaking/Passing & 3-pt shooting. Signed with the Houston Rockets after the Prelude story finished since they offered the most in salary. Currently have him up to an 88 OVR.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, mostly I just don't, as far as the yearly goes. MLB I waited 2 years, 16 and 18. The rest I have are Madden and NHL 16, FIFA 14, and now that I have PS Plus back I think I can get NBA 2K16 back from when it was the free game. And I'm good with that.

MLB is the only game I buy semi-regularly.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on February 11, 2019, 02:10:57 PM

me also, except annually lol

Rigg44

Yeah, mostly I just don't, as far as the yearly goes. MLB I waited 2 years, 16 and 18. The rest I have are Madden and NHL 16, FIFA 14, and now that I have PS Plus back I think I can get NBA 2K16 back from when it was the free game. And I'm good with that.

Madden is every other or every three years buy for me at this point. MLB is hit and miss.  I had access to the alpha this year and might pick it up.  NHL, FIFA are nevers for me.   

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Rigg44 on February 13, 2019, 03:06:48 PM

Madden is every other or every three years buy for me at this point. MLB is hit and miss.  I had access to the alpha this year and might pick it up.  NHL, FIFA are nevers for me.

I apparently had alpha access for MLB 19 and NEVER saw the notification until the other day. I am very upset about this.

TheNorm

Had to guard Steph Curry when the Rockets played the Warriors in MyCareer...I use the term 'guard' loosely, because the dude is as tough in this videogame as he is in real life lol. Entire team is as tough as they come.  :o

TheNorm

Currently have the Rockets advanced to the Western Conference Finals as the #1 seed (also finished with the best record overall), to face the Golden State Warriors in what is pretty much the battle for the NBA Championship. The top two seeds advanced in the East as well, with Boston against Toronto (I think).

Haven't started Game 1 yet simply because I'm not looking forward to having to check Steph Curry for at least the next four games, even if we did take the season series from them.

BojackHorsefella

The deluxe edition of this was on sale for like, $4 a couple of weeks ago. A friend alerted me to it. I haven't played much, got a PG that got drafted by the Lakers that I've played like.....maybe 6 games with, and a Center who got drafted by....someone and then traded to the Knicks who I think I've played a game with.

Bartolemy Schnuggenfitz and Smelly Finelli.

Also have a WNBA played just named Hannah Hanna, but I've only created her.

Crewe

$4? For a 2019 game that doesn't suck?
Ive always wanted to try a basketball game but they all sucked in my heavy gaming days.

I saw somewhere that MLB 19 was already $39 at Target, but when I checked the PS Store it was still $60, so I was about to jump, but nah.
I guess the store doesn't come down in price that quickly, if at all.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on May 10, 2019, 02:07:40 PM
$4? For a 2019 game that doesn't suck?
Ive always wanted to try a basketball game but they all sucked in my heavy gaming days.

I saw somewhere that MLB 19 was already $39 at Target, but when I checked the PS Store it was still $60, so I was about to jump, but nah.
I guess the store doesn't come down in price that quickly, if at all.

Yeah, it was an insane sale, my brother and I ended up buying it even though we don't normally play NBA games. I've barely played it, like I said, but it seems good at least and it's a nice break every now and again. I like having a game for all 4 sports, even if the only one I REALLY care about is MLB.

So this makes MLB 18, Madden 16, FIFA 14, NHL 16 and NBA Live 19 for me, haha.

Crewe

I event touched NHL in a few years either, I think it became sort of stagnant too.
I would love for all my sports games to be games of the year so I could Madden, NHL and MLB and NBA all flipping year lol