News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2018 College Football Thread

Started by TheNorm, February 17, 2018, 11:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on November 16, 2018, 05:40:16 PM
Hahahahahahahaha why

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1063545540741406720

no one else wants to hire him, he probably has nothing better to do and I would imagine he still wants to coach.  I would have tried for the purdue Job when Brohm leaves for Louisville.

TheNorm

I got nothing. Biggest game of the season and once again they choke...wasn't even close.

I got nothing.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

yea, Michigan looked really bad. Sorry norm.

Cougars got beat again fwiw, to only me I know, but damn. This is where we vent, right? ;-)

rollntider

Well on the bright side auburn got that ass beat and UT lost to Vandy....LOL

rollntider

Rigg44

Quote from: rollntider on November 26, 2018, 05:37:03 PM
Mack Brown to become UNC football coach. This is the year of the re treads in coaching.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2807846-mack-brown-reportedly-agrees-to-become-unc-head-football-coach

It is always the year of the re tread.  So few programs want to risk it all on a new guy.

rollntider

Quote from: Rigg44 on November 27, 2018, 11:45:01 AM
Quote from: rollntider on November 26, 2018, 05:37:03 PM
Mack Brown to become UNC football coach. This is the year of the re treads in coaching.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2807846-mack-brown-reportedly-agrees-to-become-unc-head-football-coach

It is always the year of the re tread.  So few programs want to risk it all on a new guy.

true

rollntider

I have always kinda liked Leach for his outspoken ways.

But when you are outspoken and really don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

https://sports.yahoo.com/doesnt-make-sense-no-13-washington-state-upset-fall-rankings-020100637.html

The article doesnt go into it like I had hoped but he made reference to SEC teams playing FCS teams and maybe the pac 12 should do that and get higher rankings instead of playing 9 conference games (heard on the radio this morning)

Lets Break down WSU's powerful schedule shall we?

Wyoming (6-6)
SJSU (1-11)
E Washington (FCS)
USC (5-7) and lost to them
Utah (9-3)
Or State (2-10)
Oregon (8-4)
Stanford (7-4)
Cal (7-4)
Colo (5-7)
Arizona (5-7)
Washington (9-3)

I am sorry You guys played a FCS team your self. Want to be rated higher? Beat 5-7 USC, and then Beat Washington and you guys are in the talk for the playoffs.  Not trying to throw shade at Washington here, but Washington lost to Auburn who finished 5th in the SEC west.  They should have finished one lower but somehow A&M choked away that win.

He cried about having to play 9 conference games SEC/ACC teams playing 8.

But you cant convince me that playing 9 conference games is better when you have
Oregon State at 2-10
Rutgers at 1-11
Kansas 3-8
Illinois 4-8
Arkansas 2-10
North Carolina 2-9
Louisville 2-10
UCLA 3-9
Oregon State 2-10

I found it funny he threw shade for teams playing FCS teams and played one himself.

Keep crying about having to play a game against 2-10 teams.

I think playing a 8-4 Arkansas State , 6-6 Tulane, 9-2 Army is more respectable than that 9th game against 2-10 Oregon State, Kansas, Arkansas etc....

BTW started this to get some football debate going, would love to hear your thoughts on this.

TheNorm

My prediction for today:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. f*ck ND (Rudy sucks too)
4. Oklahoma

First, let's address this hot take from Pat Forde:

https://sports.yahoo.com/yes-alabama-georgia-belong-college-football-playoff-013638376.html

QuotePut them both in the playoff.

Alabama is in. But Georgia should be in as well.

Yes, with two losses.

Yes, as a non-conference champion.

Yes, despite the résumés of Oklahoma and Ohio State.

Georgia is good enough to overcome all that.

Hahahahaha no. Piss off Georgia, you lost twice. If you wanted in you should've taken care of business.

In the battle of 11-1...yes, I would put the Sooners (barely) in over Ohio State. Oklahoma took care of business when they needed to, avenging their one loss from earlier this season. While the Big Ten is easily a better conference than the Big 12 this season (even with Rutgers lol), the buckeyes have looked like utter shit for about 40% of the season. And if I hear one more mention about how this is a year of 'redemption' for that covering up and lying sack of shit coach in Columbus, I'm gonna scream. And I'd still put those two in over Georgia.

Don't worry though, Georgia-you've still got more of a claim to a playoff spot than UCF ever will.

thaima1shu

Well it's more or less felt like a pretty disappointing season up to this point for UW, but at the end of the day, winning the Pac-12 twice in the last three years and three straight double digit win seasons is pretty good all things considered. And I get to go to the Rose Bowl for the first time to see them play and that's pretty damn awesome. Can't say I'm expecting them to win but it should be an awesome experience regardless.

rollntider

What is everyone's thought on the Urban stepping down?
I am not sure what to think of it. I am sure he left the SEC because Saban came in, and other schools started getting good, and the SEC botched the Cam Newton thing, so he left.

My thought with the scandal, and if Michigan becomes the power it could become, he may be hard pressed to keep them happy there.

TheNorm

He should've gotten fired months ago for protecting an abuser on his staff and then lying about it to investigators that didn't have the guts to call him out on it because he won a championship for the university. Fuck him and fuck anyone that protected him. Hell of a coach but one detestable human being and a scumbag.

But this time he's retired for sure, for "health reasons" (again). He'll spend time with his family, just like he did when he left Florida and spent so much more time with his family at ESPN.

So naturally, he'll be back coaching somewhere by 2020 because after all the bullshit he's said in the past why the hell would anyone believe what he's got to say now?

thaima1shu

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 05, 2018, 11:36:47 AM
He should've gotten fired months ago for protecting an abuser on his staff and then lying about it to investigators that didn't have the guts to call him out on it because he won a championship for the university. Fuck him and fuck anyone that protected him. Hell of a coach but one detestable human being and a scumbag.

But this time he's retired for sure, for "health reasons" (again). He'll spend time with his family, just like he did when he left Florida and spent so much more time with his family at ESPN.

So naturally, he'll be back coaching somewhere by 2020 because after all the bullshit he's said in the past why the hell would anyone believe what he's got to say now?

Im not completely updated on what exactly happened and what he did or didn't do, but DV needs to be extracted from society and you can't do that unless you seriously punish those extremely visible influential types who allow it to continue through negligence or otherwise.