News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Re watch bin

Started by Crewe, July 31, 2017, 01:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Perhaps this could've stayed in the TV thread so merge if need be, but Im curious, what are you re watch shows? The ones that maintain your interest again and again?
Annually, Ill either continue, or start over, in random order with these...

The Sopranos - just so much information and ambiguity here, truly stellar storytelling that never gets old.
The Wire - Most dont like it because they deem it too slow, which I did also. I began this show, was about two to three depisodes deep, then quit. Took me over a year to get back to it but my only regret was that it took me so long. Again, just a wonderful series with depth beyond most.
Deadwood - My favorite genre. id offer up one bit of info, Ive heard many people say they are turned off by the modern vulgar language in the show and that it didnt exist back then. While true, there is a reason for it; in that time, foul language back then is quite time and has zero efect on people today, hence the modern cursing because the creators wanted the language to be as shocking as it was then to show the characteristics and demeanor of the people who used such language. Anyway, fyi...
The Shield - I actually just watched this the first time this year. I really enjoyed it, but we will see if it makes it into the rewatch rotation full time. Certainly a wonderful ending.
Band of Brothers - enough said

I usually have one heavy thought provoking show running and then a lighter one to offset things when I need it and thats where these come in;
-All in the Family. Brash, bigoted, loving and hilarious. Talk about exploding through a new creative wall, well, here you go. Nothing like it since and no way you could get away with this material today. Its also a great look at where we were as a society back in the 70's.
-Dick Van Dyke - this guy is a comedic genius and I would stack him up against anyone, he is that good. The cast is wonderfully connected and the idea is a home run, revolves around a writer for a variety TV show and his family. Clean comedy that transcends time. They hit on topics that are still relevant to this day. Incredible foresight.
-Cheers - Live vicariously through these beer sponges at their favorite tavern. One liners, retired pro ball playing womanizer, pseudo intellectual and biting wit from all corners, and, dont forget it spawned Frasier.
-The Office. did you really think Id leave this one off?

Whats say you?

TheNorm

I like this.

The West Wing - the writing on this Aaron Sorkin show was simply brilliant from start to finish, and I love the ensemble cast; Martin Sheen as President Josiah 'Jed' Bartlet remains my favorite fictional POTUS (yes, even over President Palmer from the first few seasons of 24).

The Newsroom - another Aaron Sorkin show, this one only ran 3 seasons on HBO but it was great. Another ensemble cast in the mold of West Wing, this show followed a fictional cable news network. Jeff Daniels was simply stellar as anchor Will McAvoy.

Friends - I'm really not a big fan of comedies with laugh tracks, but for some reason I could still watch this over and over. Can you tell I'm a big fan of ensemble casts?

The Sopranos - what else can I say? Show was riveting...bums me out that we'll never get a movie out of it.

Parks & Recreation - I could watch this over and over. People love to compare this with The Office (good in its own right), but I simply just like this one so much more.

Scrubs - As a medical professional, this one resonates with me and seemed to be the most realistic. Speaking of medical dramas...

House M.D. - Hugh Laurie is simply incredible as the brilliant doctor with snark.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Forgot about the Newsroom...did I even see S3? Norm, you may have given me another task!

I really liked the West Wing too. Didn't I read that the President wasn't even to be on screen, or at least minimally? For Sheen to help morph that character into what it was, nice.
Not sure if I could re watch this one though, might give it a look again

rollntider

Sopranos - Gotta agree with that. I have watched it 3 times.

Breaking Bad - I just love watching how a wimpy HS teacher turns into a heartless drug dealing murdering bastard.

Dexter - I think it lasted a season too long, but the first season was so intense. I hate it never got that magic back.

Crewe

Dexter was such a wonderful idea and executed perfectly early on, but it went south. Dexter is a perfect example of what happens when suits muscle in on creativity.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on August 01, 2017, 11:52:40 AM
Dexter was such a wonderful idea and executed perfectly early on, but it went south. Dexter is a perfect example of what happens when suits muscle in on creativity.

Gotta agree. It started so good.

amckenzie

Here are mine:

Friends
How I Met Your Mother
Pretty Little Liar

Sakura

Twin Peaks
Surreal fantasy fiction or "magical reality" has always been an interest of mine, and Twin Peaks caught my attention only recently, but I definitely intend to watch through the whole thing again when the new series concludes.

Not a fan of what I've seen in the revival series so far (but I've only seen like 2 episodes to date, and decided to hold back until it's finished before watching it).  But I will give it another chance.

The X-Files
This goes hand-in-hand with the above, a lot of people call the X-Files science fiction which to me is for the most part is wrong, because there's not really much science going on in the show.  It's more of that surreal fantasy fiction, but I guess the lay person can't tell the difference between what makes Star Trek science fiction and what makes the X-Files NOT science fiction.  I considered pretty much everything season 6 and onward to be fairly bad, it never really worked itself back up to the heights of season 1, 2 or 3 and the season with David Duchovny written out of the show was completely the worst.  Robert Patrick is not a bad agent, but Agent Doggett's character arc was completely contrived and stupid.  He starts off as more skeptical than Scully, and then in the end, becomes more of a believer than Mulder.  And it doesn't matter, because he is just a minor character anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the revival series for this one either.

Doctor Who
Carries the title of the longest running science fiction show on television, which I don't think anyone contests.  Favorite Doctors are 1, 9, 10 and 12 (perhaps not in that specific order).  I'm not a big fan of 4, even though everyone says that Tom Baker is supposed to be the best Doctor ever.  Not a big fan of Tom Baker's take on the role.

I like the revival series, but I still think the original series is a bit better (William Hartnell is actually my favorite).

ダウンタウンのガキの使いやあらへんで!!
Gaki no Tsukai is a variety show that's been running since 1989 in Japan, although it runs intermittently, there are some years where no episodes at all are made, and then some years where many episodes are made.  The show is most known for its "Batsu Games" or Punishment Games, which rely on the comedian groups who regularly star on the show participating in some kind of competition .. and then the losers get punished in some way.  This can be in the form of long-run punishments such as the 24-hour episodes (obviously cut down for TV) where they must endure punishments for 24 hours.

Here's an example.  Matsumoto must not react to having pies thrown at him, and his cast mates (who are basically taking revenge on him) are not restricted in how hard they throw the pies.  It does get pretty ridiculous, especially when they start throwing pies into the toaster while it's on.

Penn & Teller's Bullshit!
I commonly disagree with what they're saying, but I still idolize Penn & Teller and I enjoy the show.  It's not hard to find something on the show that you disagree with, that's for sure.  I think some of the stances they take are a bit forced and seem to be made to appeal to the audience (you know, the people who ensure they make their money), and they are definitely very rigid and have foregone conclusions.  Honestly, I don't know why I like this show, but I do, and I can rewatch some of the episodes over and over and over again, such as their episodes on The End of the World and Cryptozoology (these are episodes I can actually agree with, by no surprise).

Million Dollar Extreme presents World Peace
I just really like Million Dollar Extreme.  Sam Hyde, Nick Rochefort and Charls Carroll are definitely talented, and I thought this show should have gone on to be longer than 6 episodes, but sadly the show got targeted and eliminated at the behest of certain other individuals.

This video is technically unrelated to World Peace, but shows stuff they did BEFORE World Peace was even an idea.

Crewe

I'd forgotten about Bullshit. I thought it was entertaining as hell, which, by Penn's own admission, is what it is essentially.
From what I recall, I shared many of their viewpoints. Perhaps I wouldn't have argued said points as they did, but the main thing is they never really sought out logical opposition. It's easier to agree with them when the other side are full blown wack a loons.
Might have to fire that up again...

BojackHorsefella

Most of the shows I rewatch I typically do as background noise or because I know them so well I don't have to pay as much attention and can multi-task, so it's usually lighter fare. That being said:

Bob's Burgers, Bojack Horseman (also possibly my favorite show) and Rick and Morty fit under that category.

I've rewatched Six Feet Under 2 or 3 times I think. That still holds my title of favorite show.

I don't typically rewatch shows much, but I could see myself going through Breaking Bad and/or Mad Men a second time at some point.

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on August 05, 2017, 06:04:52 PM
Most of the shows I rewatch I typically do as background noise or because I know them so well I don't have to pay as much attention and can multi-task, so it's usually lighter fare. That being said:

Bob's Burgers, Bojack Horseman (also possibly my favorite show) and Rick and Morty fit under that category.

I've rewatched Six Feet Under 2 or 3 times I think. That still holds my title of favorite show.

I don't typically rewatch shows much, but I could see myself going through Breaking Bad and/or Mad Men a second time at some point.

I still havent given mad men a try. Might move that up. My daughter loves Rick and Morty.

BojackHorsefella

My girlfriend is the one who got me to watch Breaking Bad and Mad Men. She loves them.