News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Americans is good. Thinking of getting into Sharp Objects too.
I opted for a little TV standard fare right now and am trying out Justified.
Homeland is one I need to catch up on, but I can't recall where they are now season wise.
Not much else going on now, IM kinda in limbo since finishing Six Feet Under
Killing Eve is one that was recommended to me so maybe Ill peek at that one too

BojackHorsefella

I liked Killing Eve, although I thought it was a bit over hyped. There's a few plot holes, but as long as you can overlook that it's good. The acting is definitely good. Sandra Oh is fantastic.

I always forget about Justified. That's one I need to watch, although I imagine I may have to convince the fiance, but she likes Timothy Olyphant thanks to Santa Clarita Diet so maybe I can use that as a pitch, haha.

Crewe

I think Ill give it a go.
Justified is fun thus far because of Timothy Olyphant. I think he's a good actor and I thought he was tremendous in Deadwood.
Otherwise its pretty much standard TV fare, but IM only two episodes in, so...

thaima1shu

Been watching The Crown. Never would've thought this would interest me but am 1/3 of the way through season 2 after beginning the show last week.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: thaima1shu on July 20, 2018, 12:19:06 PM
Been watching The Crown. Never would've thought this would interest me but am 1/3 of the way through season 2 after beginning the show last week.

I keep hearing how good that show is. It's probably one my fiance has been watching without me, but if not, I may need to make that our next show.

thaima1shu

Yup, wife started watching it and I happened to be around and started watching during the middle of episode 3 or 4 of season 1. Been hooked since.

rollntider

Watching Last Chance U season 3. Nice change of pace from the first 2 seasons.  But I have played on 2 highschool teams, we were more organized than those jokers were. No where near as talented LOL.  But I can promise that Malik Henry would not play for a real coach with that mouth.

Crewe

Quote from: thaima1shu on July 20, 2018, 12:19:06 PM

Same her except Im were you were. I cannot imagine myself being the least bit interested in this subject. But jump in you say?

thaima1shu

I'd give the first episode a shot if you're at all interested in period pieces or history. In hindsight, I probably should've seen it coming that I'd enjoy it because I do tend to like movies/shows based on interesting points in history. It's well written and has an excellent cast with great performances.

Crewe

Crewe

It might be me, but this cold open still cracks me up. What a terrific show Cheers was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idBHtrs-Xy4

Crewe

The Americans

I love Cold War projects and this endeavor was quite reasonable and although amped up a bit, certainly believable.
It seems a little forced when FBI agent Stan Beeman just happens to move in next door to the Russian spies (well played by Noah Emmerich btw)
but once you accept that, it all works to push the story.

Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell) are seemingly normal Americans with a small travel agency and two kids and thats just what they want you to think. At first, it took me a bit to warm up to Matthew Rhys but he seemed to find his groove with the character and with enough charisma to make me believe him. Keri on the other hand was full tilt from the word go, for me at least.

In this newer era of TV, characters and their stories attempt to have more layers to them and The Americans is no exception.
The Cold War is the perfect vehicle to explore such vast makeups of the players and not to mention the tension of the times.
The show runners do a pretty decent job of maintaining the look of the era which really adds the show, and it also, at least for me, reminds how much easier it was to get away with most anything back then.

This show runs six seasons which I fell is a good amount of time, not too much, not too little in order to tell a great story.
I just finished the series finale and let me add...
Spoiler
that while I really hate to use terminology like best ever etc, The Americans had a finale that was simply stellar my mind.
The arcs throughout the series are addressed and thats just about all I can say. Please don't go in expecting to be blown away because I don't think you will be, however, what you will witness is a terrific story and consequences that are well thought out and executed.

rollntider

After watching 3 seasons of last chance u, all I enjoyed each in their own way.
Started watching training days Rolling with the tide. Or First chance U LOLOf course i will be biased but looking forward to this.
Episode 1 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7nIyBAoJ14

if you are wondering who will be the QB at Bama, it will be Tua,  I love Jalen, but he isnt a passer. He cannot hit the sideline

Crewe

So for my easy fun watch I just blew though The Good Place. Ted Danson was fantastic, Kristen Bell, meh, coulda found someone better I think.
Plowing through Justified and while I like it and especially Timothy Olyphant, its deep in spots but still too much typical tv standard writing.

Looking for another series, lest I dive back in to the Sopranos or Deadwood since I finished the Wire again not long ago.

Considering the Crown, but what else is out there thats worth a damn?

BojackHorsefella

If you like campy, quirky fun, kind of like The Good Place, I can't recommend Netflix's Santa Clarita Diet enough. Olyphant and Drew Barrymore are both great and the kid from the new Vacation movie is actually hilarious. Fiance and I loved it, can't wait for season three.