News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

CFL 2017 Discussion

Started by cflnut, May 30, 2017, 07:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cflnut

Week 11 Match-ups

Labor Day Weekend. Rivalry Weekend. The start of the REAL CFL season. Doesn't matter what you call it these games can be intense, not just on the field but in the stands as well.

Thursday August 31 @ 5:30 PM MDT
Ottawa @ Montreal

Sunday September 3 @ 2:00 PM MDT
Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan

Monday September 4 @ 1:00 PM MDT
Edmonton @ Calgary

Monday September 4 @ 4:30 PM MDT
Toronto @ Hamilton

Bye Week: B.C.  It's the last long weekend of the summer and every one in Vancouver is too busy suntanning and getting drunk on the beach.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/30/sanchez-plenty-ifs-involved-johnny-football/

QuoteHAMILTON — The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have said no to Johnny Manziel, for now, but that doesn't mean it's the last we've heard of the former Texas A&M superstar.

Conversely, talk of Manziel coming to Canada has only just begun as the 24-year-old will likely remain on the team's exclusive negotiation list where he's been for the last five years or so.

While Kent Austin and Eric Tillman and co. can bide their time right now, eventually they'll have to come to a decision on one of the most successful college quarterbacks ever. If you ask CFL.ca's Davis Sanchez, Manziel has the potential to become a franchise quarterback for a Canadian Football League team one day – but not without some stipulations.

"The detractors would say that we see great U.S. college quarterbacks come here all the time and not succeed, so why would this be any different?" asks Sanchez, who debated the topic with Henry Burris on The Waggle. "I argue that Johnny has a different skill set than 99 per cent of those guys... the skill set that made him the Heisman Trophy winner at six feet tall.

"Manziel is different. He has the tools to be a star in this league," he added. "He has a special skill-set with the vision, the ability to make something out of nothing, the competitor in him.

"There's a GM that's eventually going to bring him up here and if, and it's a big if, he is focused on being a football player and a good teammate, he will be a franchise QB here. I very much believe that."

That's an astronomically-sized 'if' but a very important one when it comes to Manziel's future here in Canada. While the results vary from quarterback to quarterback, one thing virtually every young American quarterback from the states has in common is that success in the CFL doesn't come instantly. Even the greatest CFL quarterbacks have had to bide their time and learn the Canadian game with a patient and humble approach.

It's unknown whether Manziel's commitment would have been part of the 'red flags' that TSN reported on Wednesday may have prevented a deal.

"The Ticats' evaluation may have come from the physical talents Johnny showed or maybe they didn't, but just as important in a workout is the time you spend talking to a guy as he stretches and warms up — his body language and the conversation you have then," said Sanchez. "A GM told me that is a huge part of it; just as important as throwing the ball and mechanics.

"A guy especially as decorated as Manziel would probably feel pretty comfortable shooting the breeze with CFL scouts and I'm certain the guys would have gotten a good sense of where his head is at, good or bad."

Perhaps Manziel's ability and conditioning, both physically and mentally, didn't measure up to what the Ticats are looking for in a franchise quarterback. Or maybe the timing just wasn't right for the team after what's been a tumultuous couple of weeks.

If it's the latter, maybe a deal happens later this season as Head Coach June Jones evaluates his options under centre in Zach Collaros and Jeremiah Masoli.

Or perhaps Manziel never becomes a Ticat at all, although that doesn't mean he won't land elsewhere. Again, it all comes down to commitment.

"There are three teams in the league right now on which Johnny Manziel would be a fit," said Sanchez. "There are a lot of variables that go into that, including contract and the structure and the fact that he may not be coming in to play until possibly next season.

"He would have to sign off on the fact he is coming in as a backup and be okay with that, at least for the remainder of this year."

For Sanchez, commitment is a two-way street. Whoever does take a chance on Manziel will also have to be patient.

"The challenge will be for Manziel to humble himself and be patient enough to sit back and learn the game," said Sanchez. "This patience also must come from the team to allow him the time to sit back and learn so he can succeed the same way many of the good ones we see now were able to do."

cflnut

Week 11 Results
Ottawa 32 @ Montreal 4  :o
Winnipeg 24 @ Saskatchewan 38  :-X
Edmonton 18 @ Calgary 39 :censored:  >:(  :banghead:
Toronto 22 @ Hamilton 24  :wtf2:

West Standings:
Calgary (8-1-1)
Winnipeg (7-3)
Edmonton (7-3)
Saskatchewan (5-4)
BC (5-5)

East Standings:
Ottawa (4-6-1)
Toronto (4-7)
Montreal (3-7)
Hamilton (1-8)

cflnut

Week 12 Match-ups

The mostly rematch weekend.

Friday September 8 @ 8:00 PM MDT
Montreal @ B.C.

Saturday September 9 @ 1:00 PM MDT
Saskatchewan @ Winnipeg

Saturday September 9 @ 4:00 PM MDT
Hamilton @ Ottawa

Saturday September 9 @ 7:00 PM MDT
Calgary @ Edmonton

Bye Week: Toronto, cause when you lose to a win less team you deserve a week suspension.

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/09/13/report-alouettes-dismiss-chapdelaine-thorpe/

QuoteMONTREAL — The Montreal Alouettes have parted ways with Head Coach Jacques Chapdelaine and Defensive Coordinator Noel Thorpe.

General Manager Kavis Reed will serve as the interim head coach until the end of the season, while Defensive Line Coach Greg Quick will call plays on defence. Quarterback Coach Anthony Calvillo will call offensive plays until the end of the season.

Reed said there's never a right time to make a coaching change, but the decision needed to be made.

"We deliberated on this for a number of weeks," he said. "We had a meeting yesterday and we had to make sure our decision was in complete alignment with moving the franchise forward."

Reports have also surfaced that Rich Stubler could be in the mix to join the Alouettes' revamped coaching staff. In the meantime, all that has been confirmed by the club is that more coaches will join the group in the near future.

The news was first reported by TSN Radio's Tony Marinaro.

The sudden changes represent a significant shakeup in Montreal, where the Alouettes have lost four straight contests and six of their last seven. They currently sit third in the East following a 41-18 loss to BC.

The move marks the third year in a row the Alouettes have made a mid-season coaching change. Last year, Jim Popp stepped down as head coach on Sept. 19, following a 3-9 start to the season. Chapdelaine was brought on as interim head coach at that time, eventually having the tag removed by Reed in the off-season.

In 2015, the Alouettes parted ways with Tom Higgins on Aug. 21, less than 24 hours after a road win over the BC Lions. Higgins was replaced by Popp on the Als' sideline.

Just as surprising as the head coaching change was the dismissal of Noel Thorpe. Thorpe has long been considered one of the CFL's top defensive minds — although this season, after a high volume of changes to the Alouettes' defence, that unit has ranked in the bottom-third of the league in most categories.

"Everything is relative," explained Reed, asked about the decision on Thorpe. "When we take this decision and say it's a franchise decision, we look at the foundation. What is the foundation of this football team? If it is just OK, we're not going to be able to construct the kind of team that we want.

"Just OK was not enough for us," he added. "We felt our defence was one that was always pretty good but never one that was elite. If you're in a nine-team league, we can't be relative based on the offensive production. We have to be relative based on league standards."

Reed also stated on Wednesday during a media availability that the interim tag is just that — on the interim. The GM/head coach iterated that the plan is to find a different, long-term answer behind the bench after the season.

"This is not about Deja-Vu. This is not about Kavis's desire to be back on the sidelines," said Reed. "It was clearly stated that this was an interim title. There will be another coach for the Montreal Alouettes. Moving forward, this franchise will have a new head coach, and it will not be me."

The Alouettes take on the Ottawa REDBLACK at home on Sunday. That contest will mark Reed's first as a head coach since 2013, when he coached the Eskimos.

"Our players were a bit numb, but they're true professionals," said Reed. "As we started to lay out the vision and lay out where we expect the team to be this week and focusing on this week only, they shifted into getting in preparation mode."

Kavis Reed was the HC for the Eskimos for two years and they went down hill. I would expect Montreal to do the same thing.

cflnut

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-to-announce-immediate-end-to-full-contact-practices-1.855515

QuoteThe Canadian Football League and Canadian Football League Players' Association will introduce changes to their sport later today that will improve player safety and could have ripple effects well beyond the league.

Effectively immediately, the league will no longer allow full-contact padded practices during the season, significantly reducing the number of collisions players sustain over the course of a season.
Teams are currently allowed full-contact practices during training camp, plus an additional 17 days during the season. While contact practices will still be permitted at training camp, full-contact practices during the regular season will immediately become a thing of the past.

Football at all levels has reduced and restricted the amount of collision permitted during practices in recent years as research has pointed toward a direct correlation between the number of collisions players experience and long-term brain trauma.

No league is known to have eliminated padded full-contact practices as the CFL will today.

The CFL will also extend its regular season from 20 to 21 weeks, significantly reducing the number of short turnarounds between games, such as teams having to play three games in 11 days or four in 17 days. Teams will now have three bye weeks instead of two. The number of games each team plays will remain at 18.

The CFLPA met with new CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie several times over the summer, with player safety being forefront of their discussions.
Ambrosie is the first former CFL player to be commissioner since Larry Smith in the mid-1990s.

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/02/playoff-scenarios-argos-eye-east-crown-bombers-cusp-clinch/

QuoteTORONTO — The Shaw Road to the Grey Cup is underway and there is a lot up for grabs as we head into Week 16.

In the East, the focus is all on the Toronto Argonauts who have an opportunity to not only to clinch their spot in the playoffs but punch their ticket right to the Eastern Final with a win and an Ottawa loss. Should they do so, it will be the first time since 2013 that they have hosted the division championship.

With Calgary locking down a playoff spot in the West, Winnipeg can join them with a number of scenarios that could play into their favour.  While still mathematically in contention for first place, the Bombers can at least secure a home playoff date this weekend before they try and track down the Stampeders.

Thanksgiving Monday features a matchup between the Eskimos and Alouettes where Montreal will be playing for their playoff lives.  An Als loss, combined with an Ottawa win will put Montreal in next-year mode with three games left in their season.

Here is how the scenarios shake down for Week 16:

Toronto Win = Toronto clinch a playoff berth and a home playoff date
Toronto Win + Ottawa Loss OR Tie = Toronto clinches first place in the East Division and will host the Eastern Final
Hamilton Loss = Toronto clinch a playoff berth and a home playoff date
Montreal Loss + Ottawa Win = Montreal eliminated from playoffs
Winnipeg Win + Saskatchewan Loss + Edmonton Loss = Winnipeg clinches a playoff berth
Winnipeg Win +  Saskatchewan Loss + Edmonton Loss + BC Loss = Winnipeg clinches a playoff berth and a home playoff date
Hamilton Loss + Saskatchewan Win + Edmonton Win = A West Division team will crossover and take the third playoff berth in the East Division

Who has clinched a playoff berth

Calgary Stampeders

If the playoffs started today (Oct. 2) ...

Western Semi-Final: Saskatchewan at Winnipeg
Western Final: TBD at Calgary

Eastern Semi-Final: Edmonton at Ottawa
Eastern Final: TBD at Toronto

Out of the playoffs: Hamilton, Montreal, BC

My own take on this is that Toronto is going to have their hands full with Saskatchewan this week and probably won't win. Hell they needed overtime to beat a 3 win team last week, what are they gonna to against a team that is actually good.

Hamilton is done for, plain and simple, their not making it to the playoffs. Even if they do manage to beat Winnipeg, the ti-Cats have Calgary next week and they won't win that game.

If Trevor Harris is back at QB for Ottawa then they will probably win, if the go with Ryan Lindley again then B.C. wins.

If Edmonton's play calling is as bad as it was last week, then they might as well hang 'em up and hope they can do something as the (yet again) cross over team.

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/03/jones-adds-dan-morrison-ticats-coaching-staff/

QuoteHAMILTON — The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Tuesday that Dan Morrison has been appointed Offensive Assistant and Quarterbacks Coach of the football club.

For 16 years (1999-2014), Morrison coached at the NCAA Division 1-A level, including two stints under Jones as Associate Head Coach and Quarterbacks Coach at Southern Methodist University (2008-14), and Quarterbacks Coach at the University of Hawaii (1999-2007). Morrison most recently served as Receivers Coach for the U.S. Men's National Team in the 2015 International Federation of American Football (IFAF) World Championship in Canton, Ohio, where he helped lead the team to a 4-0 record and a gold medal finish.

During his seven seasons at Southern Methodist University, Morrison helped Jones implement the "Run and Shoot" offence which re-wrote the school's record book by setting 13 of the Mustang's 14 all-time offensive team records. His quarterbacks also performed at the highest level, including Garrett Gilbert setting five single-game passing records [total offense (635), plays (81), touchdowns responsible for (7), completions (45), and pass attempts (70)], and Kyle Padron holding the single-season passing touchdown record with 35.

Prior to his time at SMU, Morrison spent nine years at the University of Hawaii where he produced All-Conference quarterbacks in five of his nine seasons, and mentored NCAA all-time passing leader Timmy Chang and all-time touchdown pass leader Colt Brennan. In 2004, Chang made NCAA history by becoming the all-time passing leader with 17,072 career yards, and in 2007, Brennan, who finished third in the Heisman Trophy race, broke 29 NCAA records, including passing touchdowns in a season (58) and career (131). Overall, Warrior quarterbacks passed for over 40,000 yards and 350 touchdowns under Morrison's guidance, and their offence ranked in the top five nationally in passing each year.

rollntider

Any news on Trent Richardson? I heard he signed with the Roughriders

cflnut

Yes, and it looks like he'll be starting at RB for them.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/03/jones-trent-richardson-make-cfl-debut-vs-argos/

https://www.cfl.ca/tag/trent-richardson/

QuoteREGINA — Chris Jones has revealed that former NFL running back Trent Richardson will make his CFL debut this week.

Richardson, 27, signed with the Riders on Sept. 26. He'll play at Toronto's BMO Field on Saturday when the Riders and Argos clash in Week 16 action.

Not sure if this game will be broadcast in the States but it's on Saturday October 7 @ 2:00 PM MT/ 3:00 PM CT.

I'll find some highlights to post afterwards.

cflnut

THE PLAYOFFS SCENARIOS

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/10/playoff-scenarios-stamps-argos-eye-division-crown/

West Division Scenarios

Calgary Win + Winnipeg Loss = Calgary Clinches first place in the West Division and will host the Western Final on November 19
Winnipeg Win OR Tie = Winnipeg clinches a playoff berth
Winnipeg Win + Saskatchewan Loss + Edmonton Loss = Winnipeg clinches at least second place in the West Division and will host a home playoff date.
Saskatchewan Win + BC Loss = Saskatchewan clinches playoff spot (crossover minimum)
Edmonton Win + BC Loss = Edmonton clinches playoff spot (crossover minimum)
BC Loss + Saskatchewan Win + Edmonton Win = BC eliminated from playoff contention

East Division Scenarios

Toronto Win + Ottawa Loss = Toronto clinches first place in the East Division and will host the Eastern Final on November 19
Hamilton Loss = Toronto clinches a playoff berth and will host a home playoff date
Ottawa Win + Hamilton Loss = Ottawa clinches a playoff berth and will host a home playoff date.

Crossover Scenarios

Hamilton Loss = A West Division team will crossover and take the third playoff berth in the East Division
Hamilton Win + Saskatchewan Tie or Win AND Edmonton Tie or Win = A West Division team will crossover and take the third playoff berth in the East Division

rollntider

https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/919205505431752704

If you would have asked me out of
Mark Ingram
Trent Richardson
Eddie Lacey

who would have had the best NFL career and who would end up in the CFL I would have went

Trent - NFL vet
Mark - NFL vet
Eddie - CFL

I missed the mark totally on that. Glad to see he is getting a shot.

cflnut

He hasn't really been used that much though. 19 carries for 80 yards and 1 reception for 2 yards in the two games he's played. Those types of stats are normally what most RB's get in one game. When he's been on the field he's mostly been used as an extra blocker when their passing, then swished out when they call a running play.

Now don't get me wrong what I've seen from him has looked good and he could be a good RB up here, but I don't think that the Riders are giving him a fair shot.

rollntider

cflnut

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/23/playoff-scenarios-2017-week-19/

Here are the playoff scenarios for Week 19:

West Division Scenarios

Winnipeg win OR Edmonton loss = Winnipeg clinches second place in the West and will host the Western Semi-Final on November 12
Edmonton win + Saskatchewan loss = Saskatchewan will crossover to the East Division and play either Toronto or Ottawa in the Eastern Semi-Final

East Division Scenarios

Ottawa loss OR tie = Toronto clinches first place in the East and will host the Eastern Final on November 19
Crossover Scenarios

Hamilton loss in Week 17 confirmed a West Division team will crossover and take the third playoff berth in the East Division

Who has clinched a playoff berth

Calgary Stampeders*, Toronto Argonauts, Ottawa REDBLACKS, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Edmonton Eskimos, Saskatchewan Roughriders