News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2017 Season

Started by Crewe, July 07, 2017, 07:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Can I just say that watching the Astros build from the ashes of three consecutive 100 loss seasons to this team of contenders is quite awesome

thaima1shu

Quote from: Crewe on July 07, 2017, 07:32:43 PM
Can I just say that watching the Astros build from the ashes of three consecutive 100 loss seasons to this team of contenders is quite awesome

Not awesome if you're a Mariners fan  ;)

But yeah it's incredibly impressive what they've done.

Crewe

TheNorm

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

lol Ump deserved it, they all deserve it ;-)

Crewe

I hope I dont look back at this post and realize I jinkxed my team, but, looking ahead, these guys worry me:
The Dodgers....it had to be the Dodgers, right?
I really dont have a problem with them like I did with 80's Lasorda's Dodgers, I mean who didnt hate those guys? But these fellas are good, I mean, really really good.
Matter of fact, aside from the AStros, I like them best to win it all.

Washington - these turds worry me. A good team who could do the equal to riding a hot goaltender in hockey and win it all. I think they could be a serious hiccup.

Chicago Cubs - this isnt last years Cubs, but theyre here because Champs usually dont go down without a fight. but seeing they are in the National League, Im hoping they'll be gone if we are lucky enough to make it to the WS

In the AL, a bit more worry mostly because of the familiarity with each other.
Boston and NY obviously and not because they are awesome teams but because they are catch lightining in a bottle teams with that historical nostalgia behind them.

KC - just because, KC.

Crewe

I'll preface this by saying, I don't really argue with or about bandwagon fans anymore.
Ok, I try not to, but I digress.
Just an observation on this town:
So for instance, I couldn't find one Astros fan during our 100 loss seasons. Even when they got back to the playoffs, yea stadium was rocking but outside that, not a lot of fans.
Couple that with the run they were on this year and all the sudden I see more and more and more "fans" which is fine, but, here's my problem.
It happened with the Oilers, it happened with the Astros multiple times and I see it again.
When a team does well here, the Johnny come lately's curse us and we turn to shit.
Coincidence? I don't think so.

Ok, maybe it is, this time since we have lost three starting pitchers and our AS SS but i thought it was worth pointing out and hoping these supporters that think a HR is six points will stay away.
That was sort of passive aggressive wasn't it?

BojackHorsefella

Eh, I'm a Yankees fan (granted, born in NY), so what can I say?

I'll tell you what though, finally living in a state, let alone a city that has a baseball team (eff off South Carolina) has been amazing. I haven't gone to as many games as I'd like (tickets for the Mariners aren't high, but with parking, food at the game, etc it becomes a bit much), but I've gotten to see the Astros twice, got to see Texas, got to see New York. I told myself I'd go to one more game before the season ends so we'll see.

One of the games coming up they're doing a giveaway of an exclusive King Felix Funko Pop. I may go to that one because my son likes to collect those.

Crewe

My post was vague, it wasn't my intention to relate it to attendance only, but just around town.

I agree, cost keeps me from attending as many as I want. You can bring food into Minute Maid which helps. I don't know if others do that or not.
Oh and Yanks are a big draw here as well

TheNorm

Knew this time was coming, but was thinking it wouldn't happen until the offseason. But the last hour has been a little crazy with reports of a no-trade clause not being waived.

https://twitter.com/freepsports/status/903473955326984192

JV was fun to watch the last 10 years, and it's going to be weird not seeing him in a Tigers uniform. Hope he gets his WS shot that he couldn't get here. Enjoy him Crewe.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I always wince at giving up top prospects because you end up losing guys like Brett Phillips for a Carlos Gomez. Especially for a 13 year vet whose 35 years old.
That said, I'm ok with this one. I seriously hope Verlander has a serious run or two left in him, I'd hate for this to be a Randy Johnson one off, having given 3 of our top ten ten prospects. Plus I hope he can bring veteran leadership to a young team who could always benefit, see Beltran.
You received some good talent. Perez is our top pitching prospect who at 19 can reach 96mph but beware of the Stasburg effect.
OF Daz Cameron is a good on e too. I don't mind losing him though because our OF is stacked for a few years plus we have Ticker ahead of him so he will be better off anyway. I see hi as a Jake Marisnick type. Jakes a bit better in the filed but Daz, better at the plate.
Rogers is the solid big leaguer. We haven't had a great catching prospect make the big time since Biggio.
Not saying he's a HOF catcher but his defensive skills are what will get him called up. His bat will have to keep him there, so that needs work, but I really like him.
Good luck to us all.

BojackHorsefella

Wild card night baby!!!!!!

Honestly, even if the Yanks win, I doubt we're getting past the Astros or Cleveland. I think it'd be great for the young guys to win this game rather than lose it, for sure, but I don't think it'll spark a run. The rest of the competition is just too good.

Crewe

At this point, I don't look beyond anyone. Records no longer matter, just winning what's in front of you and any team is capable.

BojackHorsefella

Easy to say, Houston fan.

(How many years has it been since someone could say that in such a context?)

TheNorm

Me, yesterday. Sorry not sorry Cleveland.
https://twitter.com/LGhail/status/918260543840051201
Although I did enjoy Aaron Judge robbing ballhawk and all-around douchenozzle Zack Hample of a potential HR ball a few nights ago.
https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/917198619328909312