News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

College Hoops 2K8

Started by TheNorm, November 13, 2017, 02:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Really had an urge to play a basketball game this past weekend, but instead of picking up NBA 2K18 I decided to fire up the PS3 and load up this game. While the game is 10 years old at this point, this was still the best college hoops game released for the system. The graphics are definitely outdated, but it still plays one hell of a game of basketball and has the college atmosphere feel. And even though 2K shut down the servers for this game a little while ago, you can still find rosters out there for just about any season since its release...and if you're looking for rosters for this season, I already know of people hard at work on those.

Another thing I really enjoy about this game is it had a deep and customizable career/legacy mode (perfect for altering the conferences to reflect what they are now if you want), and the presentation is still pretty fresh for a 10 year old game. 2K has always excelled in this regard as evidenced by their continued work on the 2K series, and it's something I wish some of the other sports titles (looking at you EA) had put more work in to for the immersion aspect.

So yeah, I'm addicted again. Decided to start up a Michigan legacy, with the 2012-13 roster set...yes, the year Michigan went on a nice run to the NCAA tournament final with POTY Trey Burke. I'll post the updates here. :)

...damn, we need a PS4 version of this game. 
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Agreed I miss the college games on these systems. Thanks Ed Obannon.

BojackHorsefella

Not hoops, but I was just thinking the other day (I think it was actually after the Philadelphia Eagles ran a freaking option play) how much I wish we had a new NCAA Football game.

thaima1shu

Would kill for either a college football or basketball game again.

BojackHorsefella

College Hoops 2k8 was way too hard for me back in the day. Recruiting was a bit TOO in-depth and I sucked on the floor (that being said, I also played as some no-name school because in past iterations I could arcade-play my way to a National Championship and then I was just mad I couldn't do that again).

But I'd take both on current gen consoles.

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on November 13, 2017, 05:25:33 PM
Not hoops, but I was just thinking the other day (I think it was actually after the Philadelphia Eagles ran a freaking option play) how much I wish we had a new NCAA Football game.
Disclaimer: The following is satire and parody to keep some litigious fuck from suing.
if you see this man, punch him in the junk.

Satire over.

He and some lawyers made some bank, those poor college students they sued for got equivalent the cost of the video game that was sued over.

Crewe

I don't recall, was it a legality that dissolved the ncaa game?

On hoops, I haven't played a b ball game since probably 200.....2 maybe?
Maybe I'm just getting old but my interest has waned. Used to be golf, ncaa, NHL, nfl, race game and fighting game annually. Now? I'm down to mlb and I've had the last uncharted around for much of the year and haven't played it.

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on November 13, 2017, 08:49:30 PM
College Hoops 2k8 was way too hard for me back in the day. Recruiting was a bit TOO in-depth and I sucked on the floor (that being said, I also played as some no-name school because in past iterations I could arcade-play my way to a National Championship and then I was just mad I couldn't do that again).

But I'd take both on current gen consoles.

I had to nerf the sliders a little bit to get stats a little more realistic, then and now. Remembered that the CPU was downright money from 3 on default. The depth of the recruiting was what I loved the most, but yeah, it's definitely intimidating at the start.

Also had to turn off one or two things due to rule changes (no more 5 second violation while closely guarded). Shot clock was also 35 seconds when this game was released, but nothing you can do to fix that.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on November 13, 2017, 11:47:54 PM

Maybe I'm just getting old but my interest has waned. Used to be golf, ncaa, NHL, nfl, race game and fighting game annually. Now? I'm down to mlb and I've had the last uncharted around for much of the year and haven't played it.

Not sure it's age so much as lack of innovation in those genres. I think we expected that when we hit the current gen of consoles, we'd get even more features out of the franchises we played religiously. For whatever reason, the developers haven't delivered. I know I've felt a bunch of sports titles the past few years have felt like nothing more than roster updates...do that to me enough times, then I'm only going to buy your product maybe every other year if that, especially if they continue to cater to strictly online players at the expense of those like me that love playing franchise or offline.

And yeah, I get they've got a limited time cycle and a bottom line to focus on, and the online players tend to continue to pour money into the game after purchase. Naturally the developers will focus more resources on improving what brings them in more money...but they're doing it at the expense of those that were supporting them from one console to the next. While it sounds like I'm bashing EA (and it's not far from the truth), you can easily apply this to 2KSports too and all the microtransactions they've added to NBA 2K the last few seasons; it's become more and more difficult to grind your way to rewards/unlockables than in years past.

It's not realistic, but I would easily settle for the sports games coming out every two years, with robust roster support throughout. But we all know that's never gonna happen.

Okay, rant over.

rollntider

Yep, Ed Obannon sued NCAA for Likeness used in games and not receiving compensation. EA tried to settle, but the NCAA and EA parted ways. The BBall was pulled first since 2k was the better game. Football held on til the last minute.  Ironically i think if EA had not had sole rights to NCAA sports titles, the major companies could have kept rights because i believe a settlement could have been reached (meaning more money for the greedy bastards)

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on November 14, 2017, 08:54:55 PM

Not sure it's age so much as lack of innovation in those genres. I think we expected that when we hit the current gen of consoles, we'd get even more features out of the franchises we played religiously. For whatever reason, the developers haven't delivered. I know I've felt a bunch of sports titles the past few years have felt like nothing more than roster updates...do that to me enough times, then I'm only going to buy your product maybe every other year if that, especially if they continue to cater to strictly online players at the expense of those like me that love playing franchise or offline.

And yeah, I get they've got a limited time cycle and a bottom line to focus on, and the online players tend to continue to pour money into the game after purchase. Naturally the developers will focus more resources on improving what brings them in more money...but they're doing it at the expense of those that were supporting them from one console to the next. While it sounds like I'm bashing EA (and it's not far from the truth), you can easily apply this to 2KSports too and all the microtransactions they've added to NBA 2K the last few seasons; it's become more and more difficult to grind your way to rewards/unlockables than in years past.

It's not realistic, but I would easily settle for the sports games coming out every two years, with robust roster support throughout. But we all know that's never gonna happen.

Okay, rant over.

well said norm

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on November 15, 2017, 01:43:28 AM

Yep, Ed Obannon sued NCAA for Likeness used in games and not receiving compensation. EA tried to settle, but the NCAA and EA parted ways. The BBall was pulled first since 2k was the better game. Football held on til the last minute.  Ironically i think if EA had not had sole rights to NCAA sports titles, the major companies could have kept rights because i believe a settlement could have been reached (meaning more money for the greedy bastards)

Right I remember that, but I just didn't know if it was a legal obligation to quit making the game or if it was more of a consequence of the proceeding

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on November 15, 2017, 10:25:26 AM
Quote from: rollntider on November 15, 2017, 01:43:28 AM

Right I remember that, but I just didn't know if it was a legal obligation to quit making the game or if it was more of a consequence of the proceeding

From what I remember EA jumped out because they were unsure of the cost associated with having to pay each athlete. For exclusivity EA had to take responsibility for any judgements/liabilities and thus causing them to bail.