News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by Crewe, May 10, 2018, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Couldn't find another thread to throw in this topic so I started one.
Anyone here into vinyl?
Im getting back in to it for several reasons but the main reason is, to me, the art of the album has long been dead. And even furthermore, listening to an album has gone by the wayside.
When I was a kid, albums were everything. You buy one, you put it on the turntable, sit and actually listen to the music. Interpret it. Study the art, figure out what the songs meant, what is message of the record. The digital age, not so much. And I am speaking for myself here, so Im hardly suggesting this cannot be accomplished without vinyl, but it was the experience for me.
Im also not a snobby audiophile that will sit here and say vinyl sounds better. Although, it does, if you buy albums mastered from analog mixes designed for records. Recordings designed for CD's won't carry that edge but thats just logic to me, not experience. By the time CD's rolled around, I had no albums anymore.

So, for me, a listening room is in the queue and Im considering having it double as a practice area since I plan to take up guitar, again.
First time I tried, my dad bought me lessons but they were 8am on a Saturday when I was 11 years old. How many of those you think I made?
If you're in it, tell me about it.

TheNorm

Ah, all in on this thread.  8)
I was really excited when the Vinyl resurgence happened because I loved albums, and I used to listen to my dad's record collection (lots of my love for the Beatles and the Eagles started there) when I was little and then even bought some of my own...first album I ever owned? Michael Jackson's Thriller. I also used to DJ for quite a few years and I was one of the last holdouts that kept with the '2 turntables and a microphone' because you really couldn't mix and scratch on CD (well you could, but that equipment at the time was insanely expensive) and it didn't feel the same as working it on a turntable. Now most DJs work on laptops and can download a song in seconds if someone requests a song they don't have...smh.
But I digress...absolutely agree with you about the listening experience with records versus now; I'm usually working on a bunch of different things when I've got Spotify or whatever music I've got on my computer going...but when I fire up that record player old habits come back: sit and listen, look at the liner notes and relax.

As for guitar, that's awesome! It's been a long time since I've picked up my bass...but dance has become my go-to outlet the last few years for musical expression so I've neglected it a bit. Maybe someday.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

I never really got into Vinyl, but did buy the Cassettes then CD's. I do miss that as a way for music, but no never did the vinyl.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on May 10, 2018, 11:34:05 PM
Ah, all in on this thread.  8)
I was really excited when the Vinyl resurgence happened because I loved albums, and I used to listen to my dad's record collection (lots of my love for the Beatles and the Eagles started there) when I was little and then even bought some of my own...first album I ever owned? Michael Jackson's Thriller. I also used to DJ for quite a few years and I was one of the last holdouts that kept with the '2 turntables and a microphone' because you really couldn't mix and scratch on CD (well you could, but that equipment at the time was insanely expensive) and it didn't feel the same as working it on a turntable. Now most DJs work on laptops and can download a song in seconds if someone requests a song they don't have...smh.
But I digress...absolutely agree with you about the listening experience with records versus now; I'm usually working on a bunch of different things when I've got Spotify or whatever music I've got on my computer going...but when I fire up that record player old habits come back: sit and listen, look at the liner notes and relax.

As for guitar, that's awesome! It's been a long time since I've picked up my bass...but dance has become my go-to outlet the last few years for musical expression so I've neglected it a bit. Maybe someday.

that right there is what I miss. And, I mean, its always been this way as far as bands being bred and designed for public consumption, but the catchy tune to appease the short attention span disease, music is basically white noise now. and keep in mind, Im aware Im making sweeping generalizations as they apply to me. But yes, thats exactly it. the listening. And hey, every try to roll one on a jewel case? Not happenin man lol  8) ;)

My nephew is giving me an electric and acoustic of his so I hope I stick with it this time. Not that Im ever going to do anything with it, but I just enjoy music.
While Im thinking about it and it has nothing to do with anything, my nephew's band played an album release for a friend and inevitably someone shouted "Freebird" to which he replied, "life's too short for Freebird." lol

Crewe

I think Ive got my gear picked out, although I'm still up in the air about speakers. im leaning towards floor speakers, but if its just a bedroom size, bookshelf might b the way to go. Ultimately,Ill spend the same amount since floor speakers are more expensive, but with the bookshelf option Id have to buy speaker stands so it evens out
Once my house sells, then I find another place to dwell, Ill flip the switch and begin the setup. Looking forward to it.

Crewe

Finally have this room completed.
Well, almost. Have a couple of other pics being framed right now and want to have a better side table and have to figure what to put on standing shelves (you can't see) but for intents and purposes it's up and running.
I love this room and so does my dog, it's our chill spot 😎
https://imgur.com/a/QpJtTVw

TheNorm

Damn dude, that's one hell of a setup. Love it!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Thanks norm.
I really dig it myself

TheNorm

Have you checked out Discogs yet? Kind of a place to post what you've got but also see things you might be in the market for.

Crewe

absolutely I have!
I end up spending so much money there though lol

TheNorm

Yeah, I'm afraid of that hahaha...I'm looking for that Crow 25th Anniversary soundtrack they released for Record Store Day a few months ago...I want it lol.

BojackHorsefella

I was born after vinyl was dead, although I do remember my parents still having the turntable and records, although I think the turntable was long dead.

Say a guy wanted to get into it...how would he start?

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on July 12, 2019, 11:15:56 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid of that hahaha...I'm looking for that Crow 25th Anniversary soundtrack they released for Record Store Day a few months ago...I want it lol.

And you keep wanting and wanting lol
Good luck! ;-)

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on July 13, 2019, 12:22:05 AM
I was born after vinyl was dead, although I do remember my parents still having the turntable and records, although I think the turntable was long dead.

Say a guy wanted to get into it...how would he start?

Google vinyl for beginners or startup.
you'll find a plethora of articles to guide you. This is all about how much money you want to spend.
For instance, in my research, I found this tt
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_063TN350MB/TEAC-TN-350-Satin-Black.html?skipvs=T

maaaaybe a bit much and there are ones cheaper that will do the job. But I liked the fact the pre amp was built in already.
Speakers, decide if you want bookshelf or floor standing. I went with floor because I have a room dedicated for listening / music.
personally, I will add a subwoofer to make it a bit more rich sounding but that's preference.
I chose this receiver https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN303/Yamaha-R-N303.html?skipvs=T because it had more options available, but a simple one will do the job just fine. If you have an existing home theatre setup, that might work just fine for you.
I found the folks at Crutchfield to be extremely helpful. Their chat game is on point and you can even call to inquire about products, what you are looking to do etc....they can provide some good info as well as personal preferences. I talked to about 4-5 different ones about the same things just to see how opinions varied on products they suggested to me.

TheNorm

Huh, I may need to check that out. Thanks!
Since I'm traveling a bit more now I decided to get one of those travel friendly ones with the speaker in it. Sound isn't the greatest but it does what I need it to do.