News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2018 College Football Thread

Started by TheNorm, February 17, 2018, 11:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

TheNorm

In honor of college football kicking off this week, here's a question: who would be on your favorite team/alma mater's "Mount Rushmore"? For example, I'll start:

Michigan

Charles Woodson
Desmond Howard
Anthony Carter
Tyrone Wheatley

...and my explanation for notable omissions:

Bo Schembechler - love the coach and he's an absolute legend, but I limited mine to players here. Right or wrong, that's what I'm sticking with.

Tom Brady - love Brady but those guys rate even higher for me. Dude was a clutch player but those four guys above you knew could change the game whenever they had the ball.

Jim Harbaugh - just missed the cut. Clutch QB with an insane will to win.

Bennie Oosterban/Tom Harmon/Fielding H Yost/Gerald Ford - no offense and disrespect to any of those guys but football in their day was different, and I never saw them play.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Between all the off the field stuff happening at MSU and OSU, Norm must be living in pure bliss right now.

Zach Smith having a fun meltdown on Twitter today: https://deadspin.com/zach-smith-is-having-a-public-meltdown-1828692941

Trying to gain control through aggressive outbursts is certainly not the sign of someone who's an abuser, let me tell you.

And more news from MSU, albeit related to an older event, but still not good on top of everything else they've got going on: https://deadspin.com/michigan-state-coach-was-texting-about-strip-clubs-befo-1828680993

Between MSU, OSU and Maryland just this year, can we go ahead and shut down college athletics? I don't think it's working anymore. Maybe just keep the female teams?

rollntider

In honor of college football kicking off this week, here's a question: who would be on your favorite team/alma mater's "Mount Rushmore"?

Alabama

Derrick Thomas - All time sack leader.
Joe Namath - One of the first superstars of football, granted his stats were not great, but he was advertising everything.
Mark Ingram - First Heisman trophy for Bama
Derrick Henry - Another Heisman winner for Bama

Honorable Mentions:

Bart Starr - First Superbowl MVP
Kenny Stabler - NFL MVP
Shaun Alexander - I think he would have been Bama's first Heisman if he had not gotten injured, but became NFL MVP

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: rollntider on August 31, 2018, 04:12:44 PM
Joe Namath - One of the first superstars of football, granted his stats were not great, but he was advertising everything.

This, honestly, sums up his time in the NFL as well, give or take a Super Bowl guarantee.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on August 31, 2018, 04:50:40 PM

This, honestly, sums up his time in the NFL as well, give or take a Super Bowl guarantee.

I disagree. Namath was in an era completely unfriendly to QB's, but he still was at the top for quite a long time before injuries took its toll. He was a vertical passer, hence the hype and he was surprisingly elusive. He was more than stats and I wouldn't call his career lukewarm by any means.
Apologies if I misunderstood the posts.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on September 01, 2018, 10:34:54 PM
Quote from: Bucfever on August 31, 2018, 04:50:40 PM

I disagree. Namath was in an era completely unfriendly to QB's, but he still was at the top for quite a long time before injuries took its toll. He was a vertical passer, hence the hype and he was surprisingly elusive. He was more than stats and I wouldn't call his career lukewarm by any means.
Apologies if I misunderstood the posts.

I agree with both sentiments. His later years muddied his stats, he was a great QB early on, but i think he hung around to long and made his stats seem less than stellar.

TheNorm

Some thoughts and observations:

-The older I get, the more I tend to despise a good majority of every fanbase I'm a part of. Woof.

-New season, new S&C coaches, talk of new coordinators on offense...same old results. Offensive line is still swiss cheese. Shea Patterson is the real deal, but it's kind of hard for him to throw deep routes when he's running for his life about 1.5 seconds after the ball is snapped. If that doesn't improve it's going to be more of the same whenever they play a team with a defensive line worth a damn (Wisconsin, Penn State, ohio state, maybe MSU).

-Absolutely zero excuse for getting outcoached last night.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

I will give my thoughts and observations from this weekend.

I have never ever seen a QB as good as Tua in an Alabama uniform. Probably the only time I saw someone similar was Johnny Manziel.  My favorite quote (paraphrased of course) from  a reporter: "We are used to Bama beating teams over 4 quarters and choking teams out late, now they will just rip your heart out early and beat you to death. "

Our defense is not as good as last year, I know this sounds picky, but Louisville was wide open to many times. 

Louisville will be a decent team this year. they are big and fast. I dont know their schedule, but they could win 8 to 9 games. I hope they win the ACC to make our SOS look good, but Clemson is elite.

Auburn is better than I feared, and when I watched the washington game, UW could not stop the DL from Auburn. That Nose guard for Auburn is a fucking beast damnit.  UW looked smaller than auburn.

FSU .... LOL Willie Taggart is making a living from one good season at USF.

Michigan WTF, that makes me sad. I hate Notre Dame.  Now we will hear how great Notre dame is until they get blown out of the playoffs. Ironically getting into the playoffs with out winning a conference title game, conference division,  and one less game than anyone else. All things people bitched about in 2011 and 2017.

The big 10 should ban App State from opening weekend in their conference.

rollntider

your top 10 after week 1? Ranking plus a brief description if you want

Mine

#1 Bama (defending champs, good opening week against a good team)
#2 Clemson (played a nobody, took care of business)
#3 Auburn (Ugh, hate to admit it, but beat a good Washington team)
#4 OU (they churn and burn a score board)
-----------------------------------------------------
#5 UGA (played a nobody, took care of business)
#6 Notre Dame (Beat Michigan, but still looks good)
#7 West Virginia (looked good beating a bad UT team)
#8 OSU (Yeah they scored a lot of points, but good grief do you even defense?)
#9 Washington (Lost a close game to a good team, if Wash wins out and Auburn does good, this is still a top 10 team)
#10 Wisconsin

TheNorm

I have no problem with that Top 10.

As for mine, I'll wait until a few weeks in before I start jumping into that...jmho

thaima1shu

Went on vacation right after the UW/Auburn game, but man what a tough loss. So many chances to win that game but let it go due to bad playcalling and decision-making (looking at you, Browning).

Put up a good fight against a good team in pretty much a road game, so nothing to be ashamed about. Still disappointed. Oh well, onto the rest of the season.

TheNorm

Gameday must've had a feature on Frost, Nebraska, and/or '97 or something...

https://twitter.com/TheBlockhams/status/1038417179631382530?s=20

8) #Truth

rollntider

#1 Bama (defending champs, I think Arky State will win the sub belt, a better team than most think)
#2 Auburn (Ugh, but beat a weak team, took care of business, )
#3 OU (they churn and burn a score board, this time vs UCLA)
#4 Clemson (Barely Beat A&M, is A&M good now, or is Clemson dropped a bit? Or maybe a little of both? It was on the road for them)
#5 UGA (Beat USC [east] team handily some thought might upset them.)
#6 OSU (beat a bad team good)
#7 West Virginia (meh)
#8 Stanford (beat USC)
#9  Wisconsin (meh)
#10 Washington (Beat a team like they should have. )

Teams on the cusp:
Notre Dame (Beat Ball State Close) Drops out of the top ten
A&M (played Clemson close)
LSU (If they win this week they will deserve it beating Auburn and Miami)
Mississippi (Kansas State game caught my eye, win a few games and lets see)
Arizona state (I was laughing at the Herm Edwards hire, I reserve judgment now)

rollntider

#1 Bama (defending champs, I thought Ole Miss was going to give a game to Bama, they did and the first play was over.)
#2 UGA (Constantly beating the hell out of their opponents, I wasnt sold on UGA, but I am now. They or Bama will rep the SEC)
#3 OSU (beat a TCU Impressively, the Big 10's hope for the playoffs)
#4 Clemson (Chugging along, ACC looks weak outside of Va Tech.)
#5 OU (Iowa state may be good, the jury is still out)
#6 LSU (Oh Hey I know you, I like my crow with a bit of texas pete and siracha)
#7 West Virginia (DNP)
#8 Stanford (beat UCD)
#9  Mississippi State (This may be short lived, they get in the top ten and then crumble like stale bread)
#10 Washington (I struggled with putting in Penn State here or dropping Auburn here, but at this point I think they can stay)

Teams on the cusp:
Auburn (This is the auburn team I expected, no running game and living off of pass plays, the record I thought auburn would be at, but thought they would lose to Wash, beat LSU)
Notre Dame (Beat Vandy Close, Um the doormat of the SEC almost beat them, and was driving late. Put these guys in the playoffs with no conference championship game. Still on the cusp because they are Notre Dame lol)
Va Tech (Because there arent many more teams that need to be here)
A&M (Blasted ULM, if they beat Bama, they get in the top ten)
Penn State - (They keep winning, and App State may have been a bad day)

Keep an Eye on:
Oregon (Quietly Sitting at 3-0, beat Stanford and become a contender again)

Nevermind:
Wisconsin (To the voter in the AP voting them #1, do you even watch football? I struggled to put them in the top 10)
Arizona state (LOL, you had me there for a minute)
FSU (ROFFLE COPTER)
UCF (Even running the table with UNC on your schedule would be hard to put you in the playoffs, FBS teams get criticized for having any of their opponents on one's schedule, their schedule is what critics criticize other teams for)