News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

MLB The Show 18

Started by BojackHorsefella, March 09, 2018, 06:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

btw, used to be you could find real mlb career stats like Ricky Henersons stolen base record, Ruths HR's, Dimaggios streak etc and it would show if your player had takeover any said records....cant find those now. Any ideas?

NM, I found it, oddly enough, under stats  ???

Crewe

also, anyone know why and what the Twitter is for on the player card? not taking about on the main team screen. Open player card and L1 or R1 and you'll see the Twitter icon but nothing is ever there. Whats the purpose?

BojackHorsefella

Not sure about on the player card. I know there's the social media thing on the main RTTS menu but that's all I've seen.

Also, I had to give in and set the difficulty to a static Hall of Fame. Everytime I moved up to Legend it was...not pretty.

Crewe

check out the twitter on the player card, see if you can figure out what its for? maybe it doesn't pertain to RTTS?

BojackHorsefella

Once I get off work I'll check it out. I'm definitely curious too.

Crewe

I was told that is the real Twitter feed of actual players

Crewe

little things.
When a pitch outside the zone is called a strike, you get credit for plate discipline anyway  8)

BojackHorsefella

Along similar lines, if you hit a ball foul but the pitch was in the strike zone, you get credited for Plate Vision.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on April 11, 2018, 09:54:46 PM
ok, so you can choose flick or pure analog. Tried flick, but Im used to pure analog where you have tio pull back to time your step, but at least we got that figured out lol

I may have to go back to Pure Analog over the flick, because I've been having a lot of trouble seeing the ball lately and I am way too early on my swings. I think the extra second it'll take to start my stride would help a lot. Do you find that's the case at all?

It's weird, because I'm a streaky hitter. I was up over .340 for a while actually, and I'm all the way back down to like, .240 now in August of my 4th season. Got traded from Pitt before hitting the Show, made it to the Bigs in my 4th year when they traded me in the off-season to the Rays, who traded me after like, two or three months to the Astros, where I currently play in right.

Crewe

Oh Im a very streaky hitter. Seeing my average dissolve into nothing is trendy for me.
Ive always used pure analog except on rare occasions Ill try the button + PCI indicator, but I always come back to this just because its all timing based.
Im still way too early some times and I think MLB has done a great job with making a discernible difference between a 92 mph 2 seamer v a 95 mph 4 seamer.
What I try to do, I don't always, but work the count. I almost never swing at the first two pitches unless I get a feel for something.
Then, if Im doing well, I try to not look fastball, at all, unless its around 90mph. If I look slider, change, curve, then my timing will be better. And honestly through an AB, you wont see that many fastballs, not in the zone anyway. Unless of course, its a FB pitcher.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, I just tried flick + PCI indicator, but I was just getting "Too Late" constantly. I can't spot the ball, move the cursor and swing nearly fast enough.

The thing that scares me about the pure timing element is how it aims. Sometimes my swing timing will be good, but I'll swing over or under the ball or miss. And yeah, sometimes it's because it's outside the zone, but not EVERY time.

You're absolutely right about that subtle difference between 92mph and 95mph and so forth. I think my biggest issue is when a guy's #1 pitch is the 4-seam or 2-seam, then yeah, I'm sitting on the fastball (plus DeRosa constantly saying "in the majors you hit off the heater"). I'm awful at swinging at any breaking pitch that's outside the zone away, too, which is a separate issue.

I have this irrational fear of being afraid to miss on the fastball. I don't want to be late on it, I don't want to swing and miss it, and I don't want to take one and just let it by me if it's in the zone. And obviously that affects my timing when he does actually throw a breaking pitch or a changeup. But that's baseball, I guess? I refuse to bump the difficulty down to All-Star, but I would like it if my player wasn't a chump also. Granted, it's his first year in the majors so maybe it's supposed to be like this (especially being a late round draft pick) but it's also hard to improve my ratings when I can't get a hit.

And yeah, I think another of my issue is I can't really "solve" the pitcher. I can't predict their rhythm, and usually when I try ("He threw a changeup away and low, so here comes a high, inside fastball") it never ends well.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on May 26, 2018, 04:19:35 PM

The thing that scares me about the pure timing element is how it aims. Sometimes my swing timing will be good, but I'll swing over or under the ball or miss. And yeah, sometimes it's because it's outside the zone, but not EVERY time.
I used to feel that way, but the more I play, I find it allows room for error if your timing is better. plus, Ive found that your attributes contribute as well, such as contact, vision etc, so I worry much less about that aspect of it because it seems to correct itself pretty well.

Quote from: Bucfever on May 26, 2018, 04:19:35 PM
I have this irrational fear of being afraid to miss on the fastball.
And yeah, I think another of my issue is I can't really "solve" the pitcher. I can't predict their rhythm, and usually when I try ("He threw a changeup away and low, so here comes a high, inside fastball") it never ends well.

lol I chuckled. That was me too. Thats why I say I just let the first pitch go, if its a FB strike, oh well. The 1-0 pitch will hardly ever be a strike so we are even again and now I know you are morel likely to go to your second pitch. Thats just my approach, the one I try to maintain. Sometimes man, sometimes, there are pitchers that make that FB look so dang hittable I just cant help to swing even if its in catchers mitt when I do so :D

As for the rhythm, you can, and you know, I found on a couple of my guys, there are just pitchers I own, like Darvish for some reason. I just hit the hell out of him with one of my guys. Face him with another, not so much. I think thats really cool.
But back to strategy, I still look for it like you said, if someone is throwing high heat, I know that change down low is coming, sooner or later, so I let the FB go and wait for the change. As noted, doesn't always end well lol

BojackHorsefella

I've also tried changing my camera to the strike zone 3 cam, to try to get a better look at the ball.

BojackHorsefella

Additionally, I'm slowly but surely realizing that any low pitch I need to be later on, pitches up I can get away with being early depending on the pitch, and middle is about normal.

Also, I can barely hit pitches inside, and especially not pitches inside and low.

Crewe

My inside third is all ice blue and every pitcher knows it. Two strikes? I know it's going to be on the inner half so then I get to work on my fouling off technique 😏