UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movie Review Thread

Started by TheNorm, May 31, 2015, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Bucfever on April 29, 2019, 10:52:38 AM
It's uh....4 days later, and I've already dropped Endgame from a 4-star to a 2.5-star on my Letterbox'd review and dropped it 9 spots in my 2019 rankings.

I had a ticket to see it again yesterday and chose not to. The more I think about it, the less and less I like this movie.

So, I kept buying a ticket to see this movie again and kept skipping the movie (not like I was losing any money considering AMC Stubs List). I just wasn't sure I wanted to spend another 3 hours in the theater for a movie I'd already seen, plus I had those conflicted feelings.

Well, over a month (and, like, 7 tickets purchased) later, I finally saw it for the second time and enjoyed it much more. I feel like the movie was a lot more consistent than I'd given it credit for, and most of the "plot holes" it genuinely does answer at the start (even some of the, uh, more fantastical elements (still trying to do spoiler-free) make more sense, at least with the rules this movie establishes).

It's my #6 of the year, and I raised it back up to 3.5 stars. I feel this is acceptable.

Rigg44

Did anyone else see Brightburn?

This movie was great in concept but fell just short of greatness.  It was filmed well.  The acting was good.  The story was acceptable.  It just missed the little extra that sets movies apart.  I think its worth a watch but would only give it a 6.5 on a 10 point scale. 

Trailer below if you don't know the movie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TTkWoqNN5xg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crewe

I don't get why they release trailers like this, I mean, I feel like I don't even need to see the film now.
Ill add it to my list though, because, you never know  ;)

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on June 12, 2019, 06:16:10 PM
I don't get why they release trailers like this, I mean, I feel like I don't even need to see the film now.
Ill add it to my list though, because, you never know  ;)

I agree but in this case, they kinda had to get the point across that its a horror movie.  Didn't want people expecting super hero and taking their kid to it.  At least that's what I expect would be their reasoning.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, and I was surprised by some of the horror elements in Brightburn still. It feels more like a horror film than a "super" type film, which was good, because it could have easily been a less-scary, effects-laden "horror" movie that failed completely.

I liked it for what it was. On its surface, it's a pretty straight forward horror film with the slasher essentially as the main character (although mom obviously does a lot of the heavylifting for the non-super moments). I also like the credits scene that suggests something bigger (and includes a blink and you miss it spotting of Rainn Wilson's character from James Gunn's Super, also an excellent movie).

I think the themes it deals with, themes of entitlement and abuse of power, aren't necessarily anything new, but reshaping them into this teenage boy, around the time of puberty, in 2019 culture provides a further dialogue for the discussion we should be having, although the movie doesn't do much to really explore the questions it's bringing up, because there's killing to be done.

The ending honestly surprised me a bit, mileage will likely vary on that one. Is it worth seeing in a theater? Eh, maybe. Definitely worth at least one watch on Netflix.

But yeah, fortunately I successfully avoided that second trailer because watching it after the film, it revealed a LOT.

Rigg44

Judging from other's reviews of this movie my following review could have been put in the unpopular opinion thread.

Uncut Gems- is an average, at best, film that lacks direction or in the end purpose.

I went into this movie wanting to love it. It had everything on its side, I love Adam Sandler, I love drama, I love seedy underbelly movies but despite all that, it just fell flat.  I had read reviews but no spoilers because I knew I would watch the movie and had intended to see it in theaters.

The plot- is simple and predictable but serviceable. 

The acting- is good but nothing spectacular. This was disappointing since everyone raved about Sandler's performance I thought it would be way outside his box, it wasn't. It felt like him doing a character, again not bad but nothing special. The best performance was put in by his mistress. She did a good job and was believable in her role.

Twists or surprises- there were none.  If the ending was intended to be supprising I don't know why. The whole movie I knew this guy was either ending up in jail or dead, no question.     

This movie is a 6 out of 10.  Serviceable but nowhere near excellent. I am at a loss as to why this had so much buzz.

Crewe

I think its the depth of the story arc, the addiction for Howard, the chase, it is essentially a sickness and you keep hoping he will recognize that and come to terms with it, but he lets us and himself down again and again.
I didnt absolutely love it, but I really liked it, a lot and its not going to be in my top ten all time, but I thought it was well above average.
That said, I dont have any qualms with your opinion as I can see how the film could come off like that and honestly, that was my opinion during the first act of the movie.

BojackHorsefella

I can get that. My fiancee absolutely hated it, for basically similar reasons, although I was anticipating her disliking it for multiple reasons.

Most of what I read online was it was a mile-a-minute, high intensity, high anxiety inducing movie that "attacks your senses" type of thing, mostly via volume. Probably best seen in, I THINK, when KG's guys are stuck in the security door, and people are shouting, I think there's a phone ringing, just all kinds of things going on. My fiancee haaaaaaaated that aspect of it. I loved it, it was pure chaos and really evoked, cinematically, just how overwhelmed and in over his head this guy is.

And I don't disagree on Julia being more interesting than Howard! There's a great debate about this movie over whether Julia is the real main character of the story, or if perhaps she took the biggest gamble of all by gambling on Howard (whether it was always for the money or actually for love). There's multiple addictions afflicting several characters (KG too). I love how the banter touches on that, the thin line between addiction, obsession and determination (determination is mostly KG, as evidenced by him saying "It's just me and the rock," after Howard's big speech to him earlier in the movie).

There's just so much going on to break down under the surface, I could watch this movie for days and still find new and interesting things to discuss. But, hey, that's why I like movies. Everyone gets something a little different out of them, that's WHY they're interesting.