News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Bubble Hockey Thread

Started by TheNorm, August 04, 2020, 04:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Hah...bubble hockey.

Not gonna lie, I've been watching the hell out of the NHL's return since last Saturday. It's early but I think this is the only way pro sports is gonna work for the near future: keeping the teams in a bubble. I like the NHL's odds better since they're in Canada, but so far the NBA's results so far are encouraging too (even in Florida). It's nice to see sports on tv, and while it's a little jarring at first seeing no one in in the stands once the game gets going you get used to it. It's a bummer not having a dog in the race, absolutely.

I've also got a huge issue with players and staff getting tested everyday while those of us out in the real world and on the frontline don't have that same access...but maybe that differs by country, and I'm fairly certain I've made my opinions clear on the leadership in the US lol.

But while it's on...yeah I'm watching. And hoping these guys can all stay safe for the sake of themselves and their loved ones.

This is also a nice reminder that since this is technically still the 2019-2020 season, that the Maple Leafs absolutely lost to a zamboni driver in net for the Carolina Hurricanes.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I haven't been watching yet but I need to, there's just no where for me to readily pull up a game with the services I have.
Putting in time to research under the radar streams is something I haven't tried yet. Same with baseball.
I think baseball should just shut down, never should have started, but I'll remain mum with my deeper thoughts.

TheNorm

The Rangers have exited the bubble...the Canes look good.

You're absolutely right about baseball.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

And then there were four.
I think Ill be rooting for the West regardless of who wins, but hoping for Dallas

TheNorm

Props to the NHL for successfully pulling this off, and congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Whoever built that team must be a really good GM...I wonder where he's at now? Odds are he'll be successful no matter where he goes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on September 29, 2020, 07:48:11 AM
Props to the NHL for successfully pulling this off, and congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Whoever built that team must be a really good GM...I wonder where he's at now? Odds are he'll be successful no matter where he goes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yea it was fun and different seeing playoff hockey in October and with no crowds.
Sad for Dallas, sad for Steve(y)

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/1318178038983647234

One of the best to call an NHL game is hanging them up. I'll miss him calling games, always thought he was about perfect.

My brother interned in the Red Wings media tv department for one year (the 2010-2011 season), and he mentioned that whenever NBC would come to town for a national game Doc was always one of the nicest individuals. Would even buy the media department lunch...pretty sure he still resides in Michigan as well and holds Wings season tickets.