Main Menu

2020 pro football thread

Started by rollntider, February 09, 2020, 11:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

And the Dolphins celebrate.

Happy for Alex Smith

BojackHorsefella

I don't fully understand how the Browns and Titans lost to this Steelers team, but I hope this exposes them. They've had a cupcake schedule (partially due to the Ravens becoming a laughingstock), and this loss was long overdue.

I hate the Steelers so much.

TheNorm

The Jets could legit go 0-16 this season and they still wouldn't be the biggest loser to come out of New York in 2020 by a long shot.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/titans/status/1340737110245031937
Hey tider, when this guy was at Alabama did you guys even need a QB then? Good lord.

Crewe

And here we go again with this "not a catch" bullshit in Chicago NO (1st half interception by NO)

bigbaldben

Quote from: Crewe on January 10, 2021, 06:00:44 PM
And here we go again with this "not a catch" bullshit in Chicago NO (1st half interception by NO)

Dez caught it!

Crewe

Quote from: bigbaldben on January 22, 2021, 09:48:21 AM
Quote from: Crewe on January 10, 2021, 06:00:44 PM

Dez caught it!

:D

TheNorm

The Passing of the Torch Bowl, here we go. My too early for it to mean anything pick is Chiefs 34-28. Too many weapons and if KC's defense gets to Brady at the same rate they got to Allen, it's gonna be a long day.

Granted, two weeks is plenty of time to gameplan and COVID could still wreck one or both teams (if they're smart they'll lock these guys in a bubble yesterday until Super Bowl Sunday)...but the Chiefs are just on another level.

In other NFL news, I'm still trying to process the Stafford news so I'm just gonna stay quiet on that front for now.

Crewe

:popcorn:KC -3.5 is too much for me. Brady has ruined my life on many occasions and I dont see him stopping now.
I bet on him yesterday, willing to lose money in order to facilitate his exit and you see how that turned out.

TheNorm

I love seeing these videos when the players find out they've made it into the Hall of Fame.

Megatron is easily one of the best I've ever seen play the game. His combination of size, speed, and agility were an absolute joy to watch. Yet another guy that chose to retire in his prime instead of playing another second for the Lions...I'm fine.

Really, I'm fine.

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1358243196543901698

Ah, Charles Woodson. Thank you for making my senior year at Michigan an absolute thrill, my favorite Wolverine football player right up there with Desmond Howard. Would go on to have one hell of a career in the NFL too. Glad he finally got that Super Bowl ring too, and one of the very few reasons I pulled for the Packers in that game lol.

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1358240660625764353

Woodson was also the guy that sacked former teammate Tom Brady in the infamous 'Tuck Rule' game, and he's made his feelings known quite a few times.

Quote"Let's just get this out of the way," Woodson said Sunday on the NFL Network. "If they make the correct call -- which they did at first, then they overturned it -- this (10)-game playoff streak that Tom Brady has? It never happened. Tom Brady owes me his house. I'm the reason why he's married to who he's married to. I'm a reason for a lot of that. Everything. Because they overturned that call."

"Tom. C'mon now. 'Fess up. It was a fumble. It's still a fumble."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/charles-woodson-on-tuck-rule-game-brady-owes-me-his-house/

A few other guys also made it into the Hall of Fame yesterday, but whatever.  ;)

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on February 07, 2021, 12:24:25 PM
I love seeing these videos when the players find out they've made it into the Hall of Fame.

Megatron is easily one of the best I've ever seen play the game. His combination of size, speed, and agility were an absolute joy to watch. Yet another guy that chose to retire in his prime instead of playing another second for the Lions...I'm fine.

Really, I'm fine.

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1358243196543901698

Ah, Charles Woodson. Thank you for making my senior year at Michigan an absolute thrill, my favorite Wolverine football player right up there with Desmond Howard. Would go on to have one hell of a career in the NFL too. Glad he finally got that Super Bowl ring too, and one of the very few reasons I pulled for the Packers in that game lol.

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1358240660625764353

Woodson was also the guy that sacked former teammate Tom Brady in the infamous 'Tuck Rule' game, and he's made his feelings known quite a few times.

Quote"Let's just get this out of the way," Woodson said Sunday on the NFL Network. "If they make the correct call -- which they did at first, then they overturned it -- this (10)-game playoff streak that Tom Brady has? It never happened. Tom Brady owes me his house. I'm the reason why he's married to who he's married to. I'm a reason for a lot of that. Everything. Because they overturned that call."

"Tom. C'mon now. 'Fess up. It was a fumble. It's still a fumble."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/charles-woodson-on-tuck-rule-game-brady-owes-me-his-house/

A few other guys also made it into the Hall of Fame yesterday, but whatever.  ;)

Hey, I get alumni devotion and all, but easy there....lets not diss Drew Pearson  :D

TheNorm

So some friends challenged me to take a look at last night's Super Bowl and the accomplishments of one Tom Brady, but strictly keeping it to on the field. It's really fucking difficult, but here goes...

7 Super Bowl rings and to continue his high level of excellence for 20 years and at 43 years of age is a feat that most likely will not be matched in our lifetimes. Most doubters thought it was Belichick and the system, well he just went to the NFC and to a team that went 7-9 last season (and hadn't made it to the playoffs since 2007 and had a winning record in a season 3 times during that span) and won a ring there. He's already said he's coming back so it's quite possible he could add to his total next season. The numbers don't lie. He's the greatest quarterback of his generation and the greatest QB in NFL history. If you don't like it, sorry, go cry about it some more-what he's accomplished on the field can't be matched.

And yet...

Now that I've stated objectively, seriously fuck his MAGAt supporting ass. He willingly supported an idiotic fascist racist fuckopotamus and sure maybe he backed off a little bit after he got clapped on it the damage is done. You can miss me with that 'keep sports and politics' separate bullshit too. That's pretty much all I have to say about it, and if you don't like parts or all of it...oh well. IDGAF. FDT forever.

Other Super Bowl stuff...

Seeing an ICU RN do the coin toss was pretty damn cool. Also loved honoring all the front line workers and everyone impacted by COVID-19 last year. Props.

I was looking forward to The Weeknd doing the halftime show from the moment it was announced and he did alright. I thought the mic was a little too low at the start but overall it was a great performance. Had tickets to his pandemic canceled show in Chicago last year and looking forward to hopefully getting to see him live next year.

Completely underestimated the impact missing two starting OL would have on the Chiefs. Combine that with the defense having probably their worst showing of the year and last night is exactly what happens. Props to Mahomes for balling out though (the 4th down play in the 4th quarter, even though it was dropped for an incomplete pass and a turnover on downs, was incredible), and no doubt in my mind he and the Chiefs will be back in the Super Bowl a few more times.

TheNorm

...and another thing:

The commercials were kinda just blah this year. And as much as I love Springsteen that Jeep commercial was a big miss. I don't really feel the need to unite and find common ground with Nazis and fascists, thanks.

Crewe

I was really indifferent to him starting out this year and was kind of interested to see what would happen in TB, but the AB sitch and the PPP loan shit tossed him back down to the lower levels. Fuck him and his greatness. I had more, but this is a football thread so...

Allow me to be whiny complainer here. Yes, the referees.
And you can tell me that it wouldnt have mattered either way but there's no way for you to know that.
Those penalties were at crucial points in the game where it was no where near over. It wasnt even half time yet.
So yea, GTFO with that shit.
I dont care who you are, those were terrible, terrible calls.
Would TB have won anyway? In all likelihood, probably. Still.
These refs HAVE to have some accountability for crying out loud.
Is uncatchable pass still a thing? Because neither of those were catchable btw.

All that said, I feared TB defense was going to be out to shut down KC. I thought they would be able to overcome with all of their weapons, but it wasnt to be.
Andy Reid didnt call a great game either. I wonder if his attempted manslaughtering shit head of a kid was messing with his head all game?

On a nicer note, the blue gatorade prop beet saved my monetary investments this Super Bowl so there is that lol