Main Menu

2019 Season

Started by Crewe, February 28, 2019, 11:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

on a more serious note, this is pretty much my take on the whole thing

https://twitter.com/jared_carrabis/status/1218204115077160960?s=21

BojackHorsefella

Wait, I just realized: if I go to a Mariners Astros game this year, am I allowed to get drunk and yell at the Astros players without being considered an asshole? For one season, at least?

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 27, 2020, 06:59:48 PM
Wait, I just realized: if I go to a Mariners Astros game this year, am I allowed to get drunk and yell at the Astros players without being considered an asshole? For one season, at least?

Apparently you get to do it now and forever, because you know, we are the only ones that cheat.

BojackHorsefella

Hahaha, I'd never really do it. But I imagine I may hear some things being said at those games this year.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 28, 2020, 12:56:28 AM
Hahaha, I'd never really do it. But I imagine I may hear some things being said at those games this year.

Im sure you will.
You know, while we are on this, let me add something I may not have addressed earlier.
This was a say it aint so Joe kinda thing for me at the beginning, in the sense that we all knew it, but just hated getting caught. And even then, hoping it was something quick like with the Yanks and Red Sox...nobody cared about that, even when it broke, it wasn't a big deal. But this, everyone piled on.
I was really on the fence about the Astros just because I was so heartbroken after being so vested my entire life in this franchise.
But after hearing the most casual fan and even some fans that know better rant and rave about how they were robbed of a championship and MVP's and all that jazz, it drove me right back in to the Astros arms.
I mean seriously, the haughty, holier than thou attitudes of all of the supposed squeaky clean teams just irritated the living shit out of me.
And then they tell me, you cant say everyone does it to shift blame. Well, you dolt, Im not shifting blame.
Im calling you out on your bullshit. Oh and by the way, other players are too, you know, the ones you ignore who say everyone does it and always have?
Or the very same reports that originally reported the Fiers story, the part where they flat out stated its a prevalent problem? You ignore that too so you can sit safely in your glass house.
I can see how the Astro players would feel, hearing all this bullshit, and especially Bellinger and Tucker and most certainly that chick pitcher from the Indians running their mouths while odds are, they are engaged in it too.
That's why most players dont say anything and its also why some retired players are saying its everywhere, because it sickens them to see only the Astros called out.
Im of the further opinion the league really botched this up because they have such a naive mentality. They thought this would quickly fade away like the Sox Yanks thing. They flatly refuse to investigate other allegations, only electing to act on Fiers account.
The league hasn't changed anything. Short of banning all electronics from clubhouse to clubhouse and placing an MLB official in every replay room, in every dugout and bug every bullpen and dugout phone in every park, all they did was feed the furor, and that too pisses me off.

So I accept the boos, because every time I hear them, I know that that fan is a sanctimonious self righteous delusional prick of epic proportions and I lose absolutely nothing in my life by not knowing each and every one of those jackasses.
And I hope the Astros win 114 games, beat the Yanks and Dodgers again and all the while flipping off every fucking fan in the world.

Crewe

And one more thing....NO DUSTY BAKER please for the love of all things Astros!

Yea yea I know, manager of the year multiple times, but he is anti analytics which is what the Astros were built around, he destroys pitchers an has a god awful post season record.
Dusty may turn me anti Astro quicker than any cheating scandal.
Crane is over correcting, big time.
GTFO!

BojackHorsefella

Hey Norm (we need an @ mention feature or something), how far would you say it is from Chicago to Detroit? It looks like I'll be in Chicago in September for Riot Fest, last time I caught a game at Wrigley, but looks like the Cubs and White Sox are out of town. Wondering how feasible it would be for me to get to Detroit by some form of public transportation, be it Uber or otherwise, because the Tigers are home all weekend, as I continue to attempt to visit every stadium.

Crewe

So this guy studied 58 of the 81 home games available via video in 2017 and details each Astro players participation in the trash can scheme.
To me, this creates a bigger picture, as Beltran had the highest percentage of benefit with 18% (of mostly everyday players) while Altuve was the lowest with less than 3%.
Most of the other core guys were around 14-16%
Also shown are the days of the game, the number of bangs per game and player per game and result of said game.
When I look at this and knowing what we know of Beltran and Cora, I think its obvious the players did in fact follow those two who introduced the scheme.
For those not an Astro fan, before Beltran came to Houston, fans were divided as you know his previous departure as a player wasn't the best. But all of the talk was about him being a leader and how he was going to mentor the dugout, the young talent we had on the team.
It seems to make a lot more sense now.
At the same time, and this is what baffled me; it didnt really seem to work. We already know the road splits for the team were better than home.
We also know that players have in some cases really improved or at least stayed at or above the 2017 line.
When this first broke, my thought was, how could one focus on a trash can bang while at the plate? It seems so distracting to me and I think anyone who played at most any quasi serious level would agree.
These numbers tell me that's the case, and its sad because now the ten is tarnished, and for what?

Im sure some bean counters will be able to digest this data and come up with more precise instances, such as what at bats were crucial, which ones were given when the game as out of hand, either way.

A final note; One of the first vids to come out was a Gattis AB. If you watch that, he ended up striking out, while fouling off a few changeups that were preceded with bangs. I just think that demonstrates how distracting the scheme was for most. Not saying it couldn't have helped, but in my head, it was just a silly waste of time, cost us a GM and a HC.

But kudos to this guy who put all this together, and btw he is an Astro fan.

http://signstealingscandal.com

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 28, 2020, 04:01:05 PM
And one more thing....NO DUSTY BAKER please for the love of all things Astros!

Yeah, about that...sorry dude.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 29, 2020, 02:19:18 PM
Hey Norm (we need an @ mention feature or something), how far would you say it is from Chicago to Detroit? It looks like I'll be in Chicago in September for Riot Fest, last time I caught a game at Wrigley, but looks like the Cubs and White Sox are out of town. Wondering how feasible it would be for me to get to Detroit by some form of public transportation, be it Uber or otherwise, because the Tigers are home all weekend, as I continue to attempt to visit every stadium.

It's about 4.5 hours drive time, although I've done it in about 3:45 a couple of times lol. But figure construction season, 4.5 hours is a safe bet. Amtrak does service from Chicago to Detroit, although if you go that route I recommend ending your train ride at the Dearborn stop, or go past Detroit and to the Royal Oak stop.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on January 29, 2020, 04:51:53 PM
Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 29, 2020, 02:19:18 PM

It's about 4.5 hours drive time, although I've done it in about 3:45 a couple of times lol. But figure construction season, 4.5 hours is a safe bet. Amtrak does service from Chicago to Detroit, although if you go that route I recommend ending your train ride at the Dearborn stop, or go past Detroit and to the Royal Oak stop.

Oooooo, nice, was hoping there'd be a train option. The dream remains alive!

Crewe

AJ Hinch is granting an interview to MLB Network which will air inits entirety tomorrow.
Im really interested in what he has to say, bt IM much more interested in why.
Why now? Is he going to throw the players under the bus? Will he lay it at the feet of Cora and Beltran?
I tell you, the entire baseball world other than Houston, is just waiting and heoping he says everyone does it, that way they can discount anything he says, ever.
It is bound to come up though, it has to. It was documented that the scheme came from other teams.

In any event, Im betting he will protect his players and let them speak for themselves. The conversation will probably be about his status and ability to coach again in some capacity along with the fallout of the scandal. Maybe a couple of direct questions but mostly softballs Im guessing.
Not sure how long the segment will be but it will be interesting for sure.