News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The 2020 Song A Day Thread

Started by TheNorm, January 17, 2020, 11:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

So here's the story: on New Year's Day a friend in FB land decided that he would post a song a day that he liked, no rhyme or reason. Personally, I liked the idea so much I figured I'd start it too.

Made it about six days before I realized that required logging into FB each day, and honestly, fuck FB.

Fast forward to the 17th of January, and I figured what the hell: I'll just start posting it here. Best part about doing it this way? You can participate too. The more music, the better. Anyway, here's Day 1 (for here, anyway).

The Go-Go's - Head Over Heels

I just love this song so f'ing much. It's catchy, it's 80s. The bass line is underrated but delivers. Everybody loved Belinda Carlisle, and I liked her too but damn did I have a crush on Jane Weidlin (Joan of Arc!).

So anyway, participate as much or as little as you want. I hope you do, music is good. :)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

haha I love this!

ok, Ill piggyback off of yours...
So, not a new wave guy, I think everyone her knows that, but we all have our guilty pleasures and while I was not a Go-Go's guy, I did like this song as it pertains to the opening sequence in Fast Times.
The new wave fads, back when malls were the it place, the designer jeans (Jordache anyone?) the arcade video games of the day, the Pat Benatar lookalikes, it was f'in awesome lol and We Got the Beat was the anthem 

TheNorm

It's been so long since I've seen that movie I totally forgot that the Go-Gos were in the open for it. Hahahaha, I remember being a mallrat and just meeting people up there! Absolutely love that song too though (I freely admit to being a Go-Go's slappy at this point lol).
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

For today, January 18, I'm gonna go with the choice I used on Day 1: probably the most recognized song from what may very well be the biggest musical of the past decade. I'll leave you with this...

"I imagine death so much it feels more like a memory
When's it gonna get me?
In my sleep? Seven feet ahead of me?
If I see it comin', do I run or do I let it be?
Is it like a beat without a melody?"

The Broadway Cast of Hamilton - My Shot

Crewe

not much into musicals but those lyrics are dope.

Since Im bringing up guilty pleasures, I might as well admit it, Gwen Stefani is one.
This song was everywhere when we were vacationing in Cabo so being with the ladies meant you were dancing to this tune ;-)

TheNorm

Hahaha, nothing wrong with guilty pleasures, especially that one. I dig it. 👍🏽

TheNorm

Speaking of guilty pleasures, for January 19 (late but whatever) I'm really digging Ariana Grande's stuff. Totally not a song that refers to a current situation or anything like that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ariana Grande - Boyfriend

https://youtu.be/9SRxBTtspYM

Rigg44

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 20, 2020, 03:12:50 AM
Speaking of guilty pleasures, for January 19 (late but whatever) I'm really digging Ariana Grande's stuff. Totally not a song that refers to a current situation or anything like that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ariana Grande - Boyfriend

https://youtu.be/9SRxBTtspYM

no, no course not ;-)

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 20, 2020, 01:57:37 PM
Ill play.  This is old but I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixm2KvrnmCk

Beer busts, backyard and house parties, this was in the queue.

Crewe

I'm coming in with one I didnt know about until I saw Tarantino's Death Proof.
Coasters - Down in Mexico

And Ill post the Death Proof scene with Vanessa Ferlito, you're welcome  :D
Btw, Id recommend Death Proof btw, especially if you remember the old drive ins.

BojackHorsefella

Something I love is taking something that, well, I love, and re-shaping it or re-imagining it. Obviously, sometimes you get things that feel like they completely missed the point, or you get something that takes something familiar and finds new and interesting ways to present it. To that effect, within the past year I discovered both lo-fi (I promise, I won't barrage this thread with lo-fi songs), which, for me at least, is nice, chill, and not sensory overloading unlike some music (including other music I listen to).

So, for an example of something familiar, that I love, shaped it into something new, I give you a classic from my childhood: Mario 64, and the song from the stage Dire, Dire Docks, remixed.

Maintains the parts that make it great, and turns it into an absolute banger. Can't help but love this.

TheNorm

Love the choices, fellas. Also been awhile since I've seen Death Proof, so thanks for jogging my memory. LOL

Anyway, January 20.

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

BojackHorsefella

I didn't listen to very much music in the 90s. I actually specifically remember, 6th grade, having to fill out some sort of music questionnaire thing in chorus class, and literally not being able to answer because I just didn't listen to music. Music was something my parents put on the radio in the car. It was just noise, mostly. I had some cassettes from earlier years at that point (literally like, Green Day Dookie and Offspring Smash, with Silverchair thrown in? and the CDs I had were basically movie soundtracks. Episode I soundtrack, Batman Forever and Batman and Robin soundtrack. Took me until high school to really get into artists).

So, when I heard this song, somehow, amazingly, just last year, I was blown away. It kicked off something of a 90s renaissance for me, courtesy of a combination of Youtube Music and Pandora.

I love singers that sound like this. It is a very 90s sound, for sure, more artists today would sound like Taylor Swift or Katy Perry give or take a Sia or Florence and the Machine, but also, I love the lyrics. They're simple, and yet when sung with the tone of her voice it adds just an incredible amount of emotion. I imagine this was the perfect breakup song for a lot of people back in the day.

Crewe

This song always gave me a Heart esque vibe what with her tone and ability to hold the note.

Rigg44

This song is one I can listen to at any time and it makes me at a minimum hum along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NXnxTNIWkc