News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

I just finished The Good Place. It was entertaining throughout, campy and never serious.
A show like that has no business having the strong finish that it did, that really was a pleasant surprise.
Ive been a fan of Ted Danson since Cheers and Im so glad he's been able to avoid being pigeon holed as an actor because he is really gifted and I enjoyed his role as Michael.
I was really here nor there about Kristen Bell, but it didnt affect anything. Also really loved the Judge, thought she was great and damn, adding Timothy Olyphant for that cameo was absolute money! lol
Good stuff.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on February 26, 2020, 09:42:01 PM
I just finished The Good Place. It was entertaining throughout, campy and never serious.
A show like that has no business having the strong finish that it did, that really was a pleasant surprise.
Ive been a fan of Ted Danson since Cheers and Im so glad he's been able to avoid being pigeon holed as an actor because he is really gifted and I enjoyed his role as Michael.
I was really here nor there about Kristen Bell, but it didnt affect anything. Also really loved the Judge, thought she was great and damn, adding Timothy Olyphant for that cameo was absolute money! lol
Good stuff.

You might really enjoy the podcast that went along with it; it's run by the guy that played the demon Shawn and has a lot of good background info on the show.
Maya Rudolph was amazing as the judge! And honestly I felt this show ended up perfectly cast. Great chemistry throughout from all of them, although Chidi and Janet may be my absolute favorites.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on February 26, 2020, 10:56:17 PM
Quote from: Crewe on February 26, 2020, 09:42:01 PM
Good stuff.

Another podcast? lol
Ive gone from never hearing one to having a queue deep enough to span the rest of this year lol

High Fidelity
I haven't seen it and honestly, not sure I want to simply because its a blatant rip off just to give it a nod to women.
That and the fact I loved the movie. Is anyone able to give an opinion on this show other than my ignorant close minded naysaying opinion? lol

You might really enjoy the podcast that went along with it; it's run by the guy that played the demon Shawn and has a lot of good background info on the show.
Maya Rudolph was amazing as the judge! And honestly I felt this show ended up perfectly cast. Great chemistry throughout from all of them, although Chidi and Janet may be my absolute favorites.

BojackHorsefella

Not sure what the High Fidelity bit is about in the quote above, as I can't find the original post.

From my understanding, the show is a pretty direct copy of the movie, albeit it with some added flourishes (I think the side characters get some more fleshing out as well). Although Rob is a woman now, she's still an asshole and fully up her own ass, just like Cusack's version. Basically, from what I hear, the spirit of the character is the same, although the show has more freedom to explore more with it (whether it succeeds is where there seems to be some division).

We're in the middle of Good Girls on Netflix, and I think we want to watch that new Devs show too, but at some point I will check out the High Fidelity show. Absolutely one of my favorite movies, so I can't say no. I was Rob, once. Pretty sure 95% of guys are Rob at some point, hahaha.

(Also, if High Fidelity is the high point of record store movies (give or take an Empire Records), and Clerks is, well, basic clerks, it makes me really wish we'd gotten the videostore equivalent. Although, I guess Clerks has one scene of what that movie would basically have been, haha).

Crewe

High Fidelity had no thread previously, I just brought it up here.

When you peek at it, let me know what you think.
Also, what is Good Girls?

I just finished up Ozark not long ago and The Good Place. Im about to fire up Better Call Saul but I think im on empty after that, at least until Killing Eve resumes in April I think

BojackHorsefella

Ugh, since moving to Hulu+ Live TV, I don't have AMC anymore and it's KILLING ME that I'm missing the new season of Better Call Saul.

Good Girls is like pre-school Ozark, sort of. I think it premiered on CBS, we've been catching up on the first 2 seasons on Netflix, but it's Christina Hendricks, some other girl and Retta from Parks and Rec (and, although it's called Good Girls, I'd be remiss to not point out also that Mathew Lillard, aka Shaggy from the Scooby-Doo movies, is also in it).

Fun show, very similar to Ozark but in a "made for cable TV" sort of way. Not my favorite, not the worst, usually gets a few laughs out of us and has a few inspired moments. We're still on the first season though and not very far in, so it may get way better for all I know.

Crewe

Ah man!
For some reason I thought it was a seasonal release, not weekly.
I began watching it the other day, then hit episode 4 and couldn't go any further and was confused.
now I know why. Sonofagun.
I cannot do week to week crapola, now I have to wait another month and a half for the show to run.

BojackHorsefella

BCS is so amazing though, and there's 4 seasons on Netflix before you reach the current season airing on AMC, unless you're already caught up?

Crewe

oh yea, caught up for sure. I had been waiting for season 5 to drop and thought it was an all at once deal. lol

TheNorm

I've got a few days off and since I'm not spending it watching hours upon hours of March Madness basketball, I decided to give the musical drama-dey Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist a shot. Premise was interesting enough to me: after a strange incident the protagonist can now see and hear people singing their innermost thoughts to her. You know how some shows it's where 22 minutes feels like a second, and other shows 43 minutes feels like a three hour slog? This felt like the latter to me. I wanted to enjoy it but the first episode was kinda meh. Might come back to it down the road but maybe when I'm more in the mood for it.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

never heard of it but thanks for that input, now my decision is made if I ever run across it lol.
Let me know what else you dive in to, and enjoy your days off!

Rigg44

I may be alone in this but so far the new season of West World is Meh.

TheNorm

Watched the first episode of High Fidelity on Hulu last night, starring Zoe Kravitz. Promising, really enjoyed it-feels like the Nick Hornsby novel.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on March 27, 2020, 10:44:13 AM
Watched the first episode of High Fidelity on Hulu last night, starring Zoe Kravitz. Promising, really enjoyed it-feels like the Nick Hornsby novel.

keep me posted. but IM so tuned in to Cusak's version which wasn't all that long ago, really soon to be rebooted to me, but nonetheless, for those reasons, I simply will not give it a chance unless you guys just rant and rave about it. Or I watch everything else under the sun ;-)

Ozark Season 3
I dont know what you have seen so I won't spoil Season 2 for you.
Marty, Wendy, Charlotte and Jonah are back for more. Incidentally, I thought the S2 ending
Spoiler
was really well done and open ended in case the show wasn't picked up for another season. Cant say the about season 3 lol

I have always enjoyed Laura Linney and certainly Jason Bateman prior to this series but man, they are both so tuned in to these characters, it really makes for a tension filled ride.
Janet McTeer (Helen Pierce) wedges her way in to the fold a bit more which is good for me since I love her character as well.
She is almost a mediator between Marty and Wendy as the show almost splits in to two different series, one for Marty and one for Wendy.
It's really well told and periphery characters have strength and a place in the series, all except for maybe Three (Carson Holmes) who is merely a brief plot device.
I'd be remiss if I didnt mention Julia Garner's Ruth who is on full display with her accent and rural characteristics.
She has perhaps the biggest development arc and Garner plays it perfectly believable. She, as part of the Ozark well known cursed family along with her cousin Wyatt (who has quite the arc in his own right - my reaction omitted for spoiler purposes) and the aforementioned Three.

Season 3 has a huge story revolve around Wendy's brother, Ben (Tom Pelphrey) who, it won't hurt to tell you, is bi polar.
At first, I think he's just an insert for attention purposes, but it actually becomes quite a revealing and supremely well acted plot point that (potential spoiler maybe)
Spoiler
ended up being far more material than I thought.
and for me, he does one more thing.
Nudge me bacak in to Wendy's corner a little bit. I say that because you see, while I love Laura Linney and she makes Wendy so condescending, so infuriatingly maddening that it worked. I hate her character.
Every single thing in S3 is her fault. Everything. And she still blames Marty. It's a level of narcissism between the two that is a searing force in the plot that just makes me combust, almost.

And now, the problem with binge watching...how long do I have to wait for season 4?? lol
In any event, give this a look, highly recommended. All seasons are on Netflix and all are equally good, although I do like two and three better.

Guess Ill go finish up GLOW now  ???

BojackHorsefella

Gearing up for season 3 soon, we loved the first two seasons of Ozark.

We've been watching Good Girls, which is sort of the all-female, CBS-drama equivalent to Ozark. The first season was ok, not my favorite but entertaining enough to keep me watching, but the second was vastly improved. If you like Ozark, I'd recommend it. First two seasons are on Netflix and the third is currently airing on CBS and on-demand on Hulu.