News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

I remember us doing something similar to this a few years ago, and seeing this on Twitter reminded me of it...so I figured what the hell-let's revive it! We'll start with this one.

https://twitter.com/CarverJohnny/status/891439986477850625

1. Steve Yzerman
2. Barry Sanders
3. Isiah Thomas
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Denard Robinson
Honorable Mention: Chris Osgood, Chauncey Billups, Rasheed Wallace
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

#1 Derrick Thomas
#2 Emmit Smith
#3 Mark Ingram
#4 Michael Irvin
#5 Dexter manley

Crewe

Tough one

Gordie Howe
Wayne Gretzky
Hakeem Olajuwan
Earl Campbell
Emmitt Smith

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on July 31, 2017, 02:08:11 AM
#1 Derrick Thomas
#2 Emmit Smith
#3 Mark Ingram
#4 Michael Irvin
#5 Dexter manley

Derrick Thomas was an absolute beast.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on July 31, 2017, 12:52:09 PM
Tough one

Gordie Howe
Wayne Gretzky
Hakeem Olajuwan
Earl Campbell
Emmitt Smith

Nice picks, love the Gordie one. Olajuwon was also fun to watch.

TheNorm

I think we'll go with this question for today.

https://twitter.com/CarverJohnny/status/891727314807128066

1. Red Wings win 1997 Stanley Cup, their first in my lifetime.
2. Michigan wins 1998 Rose Bowl, securing undefeated season and national championship (fuck Nebraska lol, Wolverines would've kicked their asses too)
3. Steve Yzerman's shot in Double OT lifts the Red Wings past St. Louis in 1996.

4. Magglio walk-off sends Tigers to 2006 World Series.

5. This Trey Burke shot.

rollntider

#5 This years super bowl watching the pats come back was a thing of beauty, i did not have a dog in the fight and it was pure excitement.

#4 This one burns my ass , that 2013 Iron Bowl that Auburn upset us.

#3 1992  Florida vs Bama. The 1st game that brought NCAA Football into the modern era

#2 2012 Sugar Bowl LSU v Bama (2011 season) The 2nd game that brought the NCAA to the modern era. Bama and LSU were the 2 best teams that year, but it caused outcry and forced the playoff.

#1 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199011110kan.htm  Derrick Thomas sets the sack record. I became a fan of the chiefs because of him and watch every game I could.

Crewe

I still cant see how that Yzerman shot went in, surprising moment. StL deserved to lose though for those god awful uni's.

In random order:

Earl Campbell's 11th game as a pro on Monday Night Football v Miami. Playoff atmosphere if there ever was one. Houston, starving for a winning team needs this game to bolster a playoff run.
Campbell runs for 199 and 4TD's...the first of only three to do so FYI (Dickerson, Smith) including an 81 yarder late to seal the deal. Consistently listed as one of the best MNF games, and for good reason.

1986 Astros playoffs v Mets. Game 6
yet another all time great. After losing in 12 innings 2-1 in game 5. Astros came back home to a marathon 16 inning ut wrenching game.
After giving up 3 in the top of the 9th to tie the game, Billy hatcher hit one of the most monstrous HR shots Ive ever seen to tie it in the 14th.
In the 16th, the Mets score 3. In the bottom half, the Astros plate two more with two outs, men on first and second, and that Astrodome was shaking, believe me....and then Kevin Bass fanned, giving the Mets the WS bid.
You just cant get any more knotted up than that my friends, that is heartbreak at its finest.

1980 Miracle on Ice. Enough said.

This one doesnt carry as much weight for me, but the 2005 Rose Bowl. I hated USC with a passion and that was before Texas got on my bad saide, so I was all in for UT and that smug Pete Carroll getting his ass handed to him was perfect. It was nice to be on the winning end of one of those for a change.

Buckner's error and the "behind the bag" call by Vin Scully. As noted, I hated the Mets with good reason and so I was a Boston fan here. I felt really bad, and still do, for Buckner. Any ball player can relate to that instance and it literally couldve happened to anybody.

This needs to be 10 or 15 man, I cant do 5 lol

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on August 06, 2017, 04:48:08 PM
I still cant see how that Yzerman shot went in, surprising moment. StL deserved to lose though for those god awful uni's.

In random order:

Earl Campbell's 11th game as a pro on Monday Night Football v Miami. Playoff atmosphere if there ever was one. Houston, starving for a winning team needs this game to bolster a playoff run.
Campbell runs for 199 and 4TD's...the first of only three to do so FYI (Dickerson, Smith) including an 81 yarder late to seal the deal. Consistently listed as one of the best MNF games, and for good reason.

1986 Astros playoffs v Mets. Game 6
yet another all time great. After losing in 12 innings 2-1 in game 5. Astros came back home to a marathon 16 inning ut wrenching game.
After giving up 3 in the top of the 9th to tie the game, Billy hatcher hit one of the most monstrous HR shots Ive ever seen to tie it in the 14th.
In the 16th, the Mets score 3. In the bottom half, the Astros plate two more with two outs, men on first and second, and that Astrodome was shaking, believe me....and then Kevin Bass fanned, giving the Mets the WS bid.
You just cant get any more knotted up than that my friends, that is heartbreak at its finest.

1980 Miracle on Ice. Enough said.

This one doesnt carry as much weight for me, but the 2005 Rose Bowl. I hated USC with a passion and that was before Texas got on my bad saide, so I was all in for UT and that smug Pete Carroll getting his ass handed to him was perfect. It was nice to be on the winning end of one of those for a change.

Buckner's error and the "behind the bag" call by Vin Scully. As noted, I hated the Mets with good reason and so I was a Boston fan here. I felt really bad, and still do, for Buckner. Any ball player can relate to that instance and it literally couldve happened to anybody.

This needs to be 10 or 15 man, I cant do 5 lol

I'm curious to read your honorable mentions haha. That 2005 Rose Bowl was something else...Vince Young put the team on his back. Didn't appreciate that game as much then, but I do now.

The Miracle was definitely in my honorable mentions...as was the Cubs winning the WS, and the 2008 Men's 4x100m Freestyle relay in Beijing: Michael Phelps was attempting to win eight gold medals, but France was talking a ton of trash before this one. So much fun...so I may as well watch it again. Enjoy!

Crewe

Lol it's long and distinguished.
Most certainly the Cubs are up there, I mean really, the Cubs? Next, Astros? Lol
Yea that bowl game was awesome, and my comment wasn't to diminish that, just the fact of how Texas fell out of favor with me.
As for honorable mentions...watching Gordie Howe and his kids playing on the Aeros is most certainly up there. The no catch call by that douchebag ref Jim Tunney against the Oilers against the Steelers in the AFC champ game is painfully up there. That call was the genesis for IR I believe.
The Yanks getting swept after a 3-0 WS lead, is that a moment? Lol
The 80 Astros playoffs vs Phillies. Ryan's no hitters in Hou and for Texas. Mike Scotts no no to clinch the division in 86....and I can't forget the Rockets, the Elle 3! I'll stop there lol
Man, we could do a whole category just on Olympics. That relay...man, announcers trashing US until the last second. I'm glad the Americans were sportsmanlike because you know every one of them wanted to scream in the faces of the French team.
Poor frenchies, the one time they are good enough to talk shit, they lay an egg lol.

I get the feeling we could go for hours and lotsa beers on these topics 😎

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/CarverJohnny/status/918664983109623809

1. Animaniacs
2. Batman The Animated Series
3. South Park
4. The Simpsons
5. Family Guy
Honorable mention: Archer, Beavis and Butthead

Sakura

5. Spicy City
4. Ninja Scroll: The TV Series
3. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Dragon Ball Z
1. Miyu Vampire Princess

rollntider

#1 Thundar the Barbarian loved it as a kid.
#2 Futurama
#3 90's XMen
#4 Family guy
#5 GI Joe (Even though it does not hold up well, still loved it)
Others: Archer, MAsters of the Universe(Does not hold up well), Bugs bunny

Crewe

hey norm, what the hell?
ive got Top 5's in the queue  8)

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 09, 2018, 04:14:12 PM
hey norm, what the hell?
ive got Top 5's in the queue  8)

LOL. Okay, here's one: Top 5 sports predictions for 2018?  :popcorn:

1. The Patriots win the Super Bowl, and then Belichick retires.
2. Golden State wins the NBA Championship (not a stretch but whatever)
3. Shohei Otani will be a stud and win MLB ROTY.
4. The Chicago Cubs make it back to the World Series and win.
5. Michigan finishes season 11-1 in college football and will play for the Big Ten Championship.