News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Top 5 Things You Love Right Now

1. Family - Wouldn't be where I'm at without them, they're my rock. I'm lucky to have them.
2. Close friends - Yeah, friends come and go, I've seen a lot of them do that. But the current group of people I've let into my circle over the last eight years or so just feel like friends for life. Might as well be family.
3. Dance - It's been my biggest creative outlet the last three years and I don't know where I'd be or what I'd be doing without it. My circle of close friends doesn't get bigger without it. Another way to express myself through music, which leads me to...
4. Music - This has almost always been my go to, and it gets me through just about anything.
5. Bacon - duh, bacon makes everything better.

Top 5 Opening Movie Scenes

in no particular order...

-Baby Driver - the blend of the music, the robbery, and the chase is simply brilliant.

-Top Gun - the score, the flight deck operations leading up to the F-14s taking off and jumping right into Danger Zone, and that entire opening sequence was one I loved when I first saw it and still do now.

-Star Wars: A New Hope - not much is more iconic than this, and the moment between the "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." and the opening notes of John Williams score hits with that screencrawl still to this day fills me with equal parts anticipation and absolute glee.

-The Dark Knight - Fully aware the last two have been used, but c'mon...these are incredible. Love seeing these Chicago locales being used, and like thai said: what an introduction to the Joker. The opening to TDKR was pretty good too, but this was an almost impossible level to reach.

-Pulp Fiction - Always loved the dialogue to start off, and how it distracts from what Hunny Bunny and Ringo do right until they actually do it. Even seemed like just a random opening scene right until the last part of the movie when it all ties together. So well done.

*honorable mention* Captain America: The Winter Soldier - We get a glimpse of what Cap does in his normal life and what he's done to help adjust to modern times, a brief introduction to Sam Wilson, and then the opening mission with Rumlo, Black Widow, and SHIELD's Strike Team. A very underrated setup for what was my favorite MCU movie until Black Panther dropped this year.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

I almost chose Winter Soldier, it was also my #6.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on July 26, 2018, 01:22:31 AM
Top 5 Things You Love Right Now

1. Family - Wouldn't be where I'm at without them, they're my rock. I'm lucky to have them.
2. Close friends - Yeah, friends come and go, I've seen a lot of them do that. But the current group of people I've let into my circle over the last eight years or so just feel like friends for life. Might as well be family.
3. Dance - It's been my biggest creative outlet the last three years and I don't know where I'd be or what I'd be doing without it. My circle of close friends doesn't get bigger without it. Another way to express myself through music, which leads me to...
4. Music - This has almost always been my go to, and it gets me through just about anything.
5. Bacon - duh, bacon makes everything better.

My man!

Quote from: TheNorm on July 26, 2018, 01:22:31 AM

-Baby Driver - the blend of the music, the robbery, and the chase is simply brilliant.

-Top Gun - the score, the flight deck operations leading up to the F-14s taking off and jumping right into Danger Zone, and that entire opening sequence was one I loved when I first saw it and still do now.

-Star Wars: A New Hope - not much is more iconic than this, and the moment between the "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." and the opening notes of John Williams score hits with that screencrawl still to this day fills me with equal parts anticipation and absolute glee.

-The Dark Knight - Fully aware the last two have been used, but c'mon...these are incredible. Love seeing these Chicago locales being used, and like thai said: what an introduction to the Joker. The opening to TDKR was pretty good too, but this was an almost impossible level to reach.

-Pulp Fiction - Always loved the dialogue to start off, and how it distracts from what Hunny Bunny and Ringo do right until they actually do it. Even seemed like just a random opening scene right until the last part of the movie when it all ties together. So well done.

*honorable mention* Captain America: The Winter Soldier - We get a glimpse of what Cap does in his normal life and what he's done to help adjust to modern times, a brief introduction to Sam Wilson, and then the opening mission with Rumlo, Black Widow, and SHIELD's Strike Team. A very underrated setup for what was my favorite MCU movie until Black Panther dropped this year.

Completely forgot about Top Gun. Good choice!

Rigg44

-Patton – In my humble opinion the best opening to any movie ever.

-Raiders of the lost ark-  the whole sequence set the tone for a fun action packed romp.

-Star Wars: A New Hope – I can’t add anything new to what has already been said.  This is one of the most iconic openings ever shot.

-Monty python and the holy grail – No its not action packed or inventive in anyway but the discussion about the coconuts is one of my favorite sequences ever.

-inglorious bastards – honestly this could have said Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, or even the hatful eight.  The dialogue heavy opening are done so well and with great writing.

BojackHorsefella

Kicking myself now for leaving out Raiders. What a great pick Rigg.

And yeah, Holy Grail may not be action filled, but that opening exchange is one of the best scenes in the entire movie.

Crewe

Top 5 dramatic series endings

Ill tend to avoid spoilers just in case...

1. Sopranos, although Im sure we've all seen it or at least heard about it now.
2. The Wire. These two occupy the two top spots in just about any category for me.
3. The Shield. Not at all what I was expecting, maybe I got played.
4. Six Feet Under. Even though you knew, it was still well done
5. The Americans. Cold War and cold consequences. 

BojackHorsefella

Ooooooooooooooooo (although I haven't really seen THAT many series all the way through so this list will be rather obvious). Also trying to avoid spoilers.

1. Six Feet Under - It has been, and always will be, my favorite.

2. Boardwalk Empire - the show had some troubles, although any flaws it had I was able to look past because I absolutely loved this Prohibition, 1920s old timey drama. But the series finale really did work well with the story and gave it all a satisfying conclusion.

3. Mad Men - Don Draper still trying to find a way out only to be told he doesn't have to anymore, and his reaction to that leading up to the final short, were really the essence of the character.

4. Breaking Bad - The odd thing is, the episode before really wraps up the main narrative arc, but this one wraps up whatever's left and still finds a way to be compelling.

5. The Sopranos - I mean, regardless of whether you liked it or not, it's iconic now.

Crewe

dang man, cant believe Ive had Boardwalk on the shelf for so long, completely forgot about it.
You know I dig anything mobsters...ok almost anything....

I might go back to mad men too, left after season one, don't even recall why

Rigg44

1. Breaking Bad- I loved the whole series and the conclusion was really the only way it could end.

2. Halt and Catch fire- the ending was a bit of a down note but it was a good way to end it.

3. The Shield- The ending once again was really the only way it could have logically concluded.

4. Justified- Another show I enjoyed from beginning to end and for once in the new era of TV endings everyone gets a semi happy ending.

5. The Sopranos – I hated it at the time but now its iconic so I have to like it, Right?

rollntider

The top 5 worst series endings. Sometimes a series just hangs around to long. They cant figure out how to end it or just dont give a shit. Most of the series you guys mentioned in the earlier top 5 I agree with..... so....

#5 My Name is Earl - loved the series, it ended on a cliffhanger, because they thought they had one more season.
#4 Battlestar Galactica (2003)- Loved the show and started out being one of the greatest sci fi series of all time. That next to last season started getting weak, and the final season was pathetic with a terrible phoned in ending.  Making a great series a not so good one.
#3 Dexter - this series was awesome, fresh and different. Started to get stale by the end and the ending was one of the worst. Its like they were not sure how to end the series like battlestar. I can come up with 15 better endings off the top of my head.
#2  Jericho - The first season was great, then the 2nd season was like a new writer or something happened, it got bad quick. I watched it to finish the series but damn.
#1 Fringe - XFiles rebooted I thought when it came out. By the end they got so wacky crazy and so weird with time and story lines I am not sure if the show itself was cannon to its own series. Just stay out of the amber.

BojackHorsefella

Top 5 Worst Series Finales

1. Seinfeld - The clip show as finale was an awful idea, and all of them knew it.

2. Heroes - By which I mean, it's reboot/unofficial 5th season Heroes: Reborn, which the entire season and finale included were, just, the absolute worst.

3. Dexter - Yup. Everyone knows it.

4. ................actually those might be it. I...really haven't watched a lot of TV shows all the way through in my life (although the fiance and I have been fixing that).

TheNorm

Top 5 Dramatic Series Endings

1. Sons of Anarchy - Jax ties up family business, leaves the MC in good hands, and other things. This series was incredible, especially the final season. Kurt Sutter's best work.
2. The Sopranos - well duh.
3. Friday Night Lights - This show was one of my favorites, and IMO it ended how it should have.
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Joss Whedon did a hell of a run with this series and did the Slayerverse justice with this finale.
5. Chuck - this show deserved a better following than it had. Finale tied it up well, but damn one more season would've been perfect.

*honorable mention* Homicide: The Movie - Show IMO got cancelled a bit too soon, but they did get to tie up loose ends with this movie. If you were a fan of the show and haven't seen it, you need to.

Top 5 Worst Series Endings

1. Dawson's Creek - Should've been Dawson ending up with Joey, not Pacey. And yeah, I did watch this show a bunch and I'm not ashamed of it one bit.
2. How I Met Your Mother - Such a great series unraveled by some boneheaded creative decisions in the final episodes.
3. Scrubs - I refer to this as the last season that never should've happened.
4. Jericho - with Tider on this. IIRC no one really expected this show to be saved after the first season. When CBS actually did save it, I think they were as shocked as anyone else. Someone did do a third season of sorts in comic book form and I've heard it's decent, might have to check that out.

Those are pretty much the ones that stick out the most. I've always been one of those to either not finish a series (Battlestar Galactica, although I do want to finish it eventually) or drop it from my viewing once I feel that creatively it's falling off a bit (Heroes, Glee).
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Top 5 worst

Dexter, by far. such a great idea and then to pull that stunt? Terrible.

Deadwood. I say this only because it was cancelled abruptly and the writers didn't have a chance to flesh out the series on their own terms. Still sorely disappointed it ended so early, but despite that, still one of the best series of all time IMO.

Weeds. A series that started out great but just became a cartoon of itself and the ending was just uninspiring, uneventful and drab.

True Blood - See Weeds

I can't recall another Id list in top 5.

BojackHorsefella

If I'd actually made it past season...I think four, was the last season of True Blood I watched, I'm sure it'd made it to my list.

TheNorm

Not sure if we've done this yet, but...here goes: Top 5 Movie Soundtracks

Hell, I'll even split this into two: for Instrumental/Score and Vocal/Compilation. Have fun.