News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Scene it

Started by Crewe, January 05, 2020, 07:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 22, 2020, 12:07:22 AM
Hanks absolutely nails the going into shock part, and that absolutely floored me when seeing that film.

Me too. I can't imagine the original ending being able to compete with this emotion on any level

BojackHorsefella

It took me a long time to get into horror. As a very young child, I had a recurring dream about Gremlins, for whatever reason. The original Twilight Zone movie terrified me. I couldn't watch Freddy or Jason movies.

I don't remember when I started watching horror more regularly, but I do remember being in high school, turning on Cinemax on whatever night, and seeing a movie I'd heard about, but had never seen, was on: John Carpenter's The Thing.

Again, this was one of those "self-discoveries" where it's a movie with a pretty large cult following, and yet, it doesn't get mentioned much (I think it's appreciation has grown even more since that time, especially with the prequel that came out in the 00s, but that's just conjecture).

I remember being absolutely gripped in my spot (probably helped that I always watched movies late so I was likely delirious too) throughout the movie, but I never felt terrified until this scene.

The blood test may be one of the best scenes in the movie, but the sheer chaos of this scene, from MacReady coming in from the cold, to Norris' heart attack, to Norris' chest eating the doctor, and then his head dragging itself away, was an absolute master class in tension that pinned me where I was. Growing up in an age where CGI was becoming more and more prominent (Deep Blue Sea, Lake Placid, just two minor examples off the top of my head), watching a movie with these kinds of practical effects was a revelation for me at the time. And they didn't look silly or preposterous, they were genuinely frightening.

What a good night that was. That used to be the best way to find movies. That and DVD bins.

Crewe

This is a lot of fun, these are the kinds of stories I was hoping to achieve here.

Horror. Man, big time horror fan, only I didnt know I liked getting the crap scared out of me at first. I was lucky or unlucky enough if you will, to have grown up in the horror gore boom and it was freaking great. Late night cable was awesome lol
What got me going was Halloween.
I remember seeing this at the theatre and knowing I could not, under any circumstances, let my friends or anyone for that matter, hear my scream like a little girl.
I had to sit there, play it cool and hope I only peed my pants. Life was good!
So, the scene: The Shape finds Laurie Strode in the closet and she ultimately kills him, she thinks. The kids flee and she's crumpled in the door, a weeping, frightened mess and in the background, out of focus, the Shape does the Undertaker bit before he's even a teenager.
What makes it even more scary is the fact there was no score in that scene for about 2 minutes and it didnt even start up again until a few seconds after he arose. Just freakin great direction. And that ending, man, Halloween was everything.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 22, 2020, 12:07:22 AM
Hanks absolutely nails the going into shock part, and that absolutely floored me when seeing that film.

Didnt he though? And to think, that was almost never even filmed.

BojackHorsefella

So today, I'm gonna go back in time to a pre-18 age (2002, so.....15). 28 Days Later comes out, a horror movie, that is rated R, thus I am too young to see it. For whatever reason, my mom, dad, and brother are all apparently unable to take me to see the movie. Thus, I end up going with my brother's girlfriend somehow.

I remember, being young, always feeling like you absolutely had to do things the right way or you'd be found out (honestly, to this day I still feel like that which is probably the cause of my anxiety even though nobody cares about the rules these days), so, I'm not a huge fan of breaking the rules. As anyone knows now, I highly doubt the ticket taker was going to ask for any proof of relation, but still, to be safe, we bought two tickets to a different film and snuck into 28 Days Later.

The seats weren't the best, they were aisle seats but they weren't awful. The bad part was probably when I saw a couple basically do a lap around the theater and heard one of them say "How could there possibly be no seats?" Whoops.

100% worth it. What a movie, and an absolutely haunting opener to this day. Any anxiety I had about someone coming into ask for our tickets immediately melted away one Danny Boyle invited us into his vision.

Rigg44

As most young men tend to be I was extremely anti "Chick Flic" until I watched what I now consider one of if not the only perfect movie ever made.  The Princess Bride.  I know it makes everyone's list and is widely regarded as a great movie.  Well just because everyone agrees it doesn't make it untrue.  I literally could have picked a hundred scenes from this movie.  Quotes from it slip into my conversations almost daily and I am ok with that.  The first time I watched it with my daughters was magical. Now it is a movie we can share and someday I will force my grandkids to watch it despite their inevitable protests, which will be defeated by the movie and its greatness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDlZ_SXx5gA

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 27, 2020, 03:20:56 PM
So today, I'm gonna go back in time to a pre-18 age (2002, so.....15). 28 Days Later comes out, a horror movie, that is rated R, thus I am too young to see it. For whatever reason, my mom, dad, and brother are all apparently unable to take me to see the movie. Thus, I end up going with my brother's girlfriend somehow.

I remember, being young, always feeling like you absolutely had to do things the right way or you'd be found out (honestly, to this day I still feel like that which is probably the cause of my anxiety even though nobody cares about the rules these days), so, I'm not a huge fan of breaking the rules. As anyone knows now, I highly doubt the ticket taker was going to ask for any proof of relation, but still, to be safe, we bought two tickets to a different film and snuck into 28 Days Later.

The seats weren't the best, they were aisle seats but they weren't awful. The bad part was probably when I saw a couple basically do a lap around the theater and heard one of them say "How could there possibly be no seats?" Whoops.

100% worth it. What a movie, and an absolutely haunting opener to this day. Any anxiety I had about someone coming into ask for our tickets immediately melted away one Danny Boyle invited us into his vision.

well now I feel like a criminal because there was a 4 screen cinema (theatre weren't huge multiplexes back then) and I was there most often and wold see every film that week unless I had seen it enough already. it was like you bought a ticket to enter the movie house which granted you entrance to any theatre you wanted as often as you wanted. I guess Ill pay for that some day... :D

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 27, 2020, 03:32:29 PM
As most young men tend to be I was extremely anti "Chick Flic" until I watched what I now consider one of if not the only perfect movie ever made.  The Princess Bride.  I know it makes everyone's list and is widely regarded as a great movie.  Well just because everyone agrees it doesn't make it untrue.  I literally could have picked a hundred scenes from this movie.  Quotes from it slip into my conversations almost daily and I am ok with that.  The first time I watched it with my daughters was magical. Now it is a movie we can share and someday I will force my grandkids to watch it despite their inevitable protests, which will be defeated by the movie and its greatness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDlZ_SXx5gA

my heart sinks when I utter inconceivable, and nobody bats an eye lol
thats cool that it transcends generations for you.

Crewe

This is a true classic you probably haven't heard about from 1955 called No Time for Sergeants with Andy Griffith.
When I was growing up, my mom worked for a TV distributor and when this came on during the day, she would call me at home during this scene, laughing her butt off and beg me to watch it. Of course once I noted it was black and white, I dismissed it immediately, almost always.
Once I watched it, I then watched the entire film, ad nauseam.

Andry Griffith plays Will Stockdale who is the truest form of a hillbilly who is accused of dodging the draft.
The Government finally finds him and enters him in to the Air Force.
It's a simple fish out of water story that is played perfectly by Griffith.
There's no hidden theme, no plot twists, no mind bending arc, just clean for all pure comedy.
I dont know if younger guys will get the same kick out of it having grown up on vastly different films, but here's a brief scene with the psychiatrist that grabbed me and everyone I ever showed it to.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on January 28, 2020, 03:19:15 PM
well now I feel like a criminal because there was a 4 screen cinema (theatre weren't huge multiplexes back then) and I was there most often and wold see every film that week unless I had seen it enough already. it was like you bought a ticket to enter the movie house which granted you entrance to any theatre you wanted as often as you wanted. I guess Ill pay for that some day... :D

I remember going to movies with my dad, and sometimes we'd do a double feature. We'd finish one movie and hop on into another one. I had no idea this was not allowed, I don't know if maybe I thought, in child think, that a ticket granted you all access but that was certainly not the case, hahaha. I did it with kiddo once or twice, and myself with friends a time or two since, although not so much these days because who has the time?

Plus, you gotta refill the popcorn, and you basically have to do it before your movie ends.

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on January 28, 2020, 03:41:06 PM
This is a true classic you probably haven't heard about from 1955 called No Time for Sergeants with Andy Griffith.
When I was growing up, my mom worked for a TV distributor and when this came on during the day, she would call me at home during this scene, laughing her butt off and beg me to watch it. Of course once I noted it was black and white, I dismissed it immediately, almost always.

Andry Griffith plays Will Stockdale who is the truest form of a hillbilly who is accused of dodging the draft.
There's no hidden theme, no plot twists, no mind bending arc, just clean for all pure comedy.
I dont know if younger guys will get the same kick out of it having grown up on vastly different films, but here's a brief scene with the psychiatrist that grabbed me and everyone I ever showed it to.

This is one of my favorites.  The saluting toilets are great.

BojackHorsefella

Ever since watching Run Silent, Run Deep on my flight, I've been wanting to go back to some other 50s era films. This clip had me stifling laughter at work, I may need to put this one on my list.

TheNorm

You guys have had some amazing clips the last few days, and also added a couple films to my queue.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 28, 2020, 04:22:23 PM

This is one of my favorites.  The saluting toilets are great.

Something special for the Captain  :D

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 28, 2020, 05:41:17 PM

Ever since watching Run Silent, Run Deep on my flight, I've been wanting to go back to some other 50s era films. This clip had me stifling laughter at work, I may need to put this one on my list.

I would love to hear your opinion if you ever give it a look.

Quote from: TheNorm on January 28, 2020, 11:35:25 PM
You guys have had some amazing clips the last few days, and also added a couple films to my queue.

yea, I'm enjoying these threads  :D

Crewe

You never forget your first.
I was 8 years old when I saw Magnum Force with my parents...yea, you read that right lol
Although I did get my eyes covered on the pool scene.  :D