News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

NHL 19

Started by TheNorm, October 01, 2018, 09:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

I haven't played this series seriously in a very long time, and I think the only reason I picked up NHL 17 a couple of years back is because the PS Store had it on sale for less than $10...and after playing that for a little bit I felt like I overpaid.

This year's version, though? Plays a good game of hockey and the various game modes are fun. Haven't even dived into franchise mode yet simply because the others have been a blast. Not sure this will have staying power for me since Spidey's still a blast, RDR2 is coming out, and I still want to check NBA2K19 at some point...but this gen might finally have a hockey game worth playing.

To be continued...
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Same here norm. I liked the last one I played which was probably 14 or so, but I quit because most of my career type gaming time was devoted to MLB.
id like to check out a basketball too, but thinking about it last couple of seasons but always felt from reading and watching reviews that it also has a madden type hump keeping it from being next level.
Snce I still have Uncharted 4 in the works along with half seasons of MLB I need to close out, Im sure Il stick with the....wait for it....norm, for a while ;-)

TheNorm

Started a deep dive into Franchise mode a few days ago...instead of going the home team route, I went the expansion route and created a team in Seattle called the Sonics  ;)

Lots of options available here: You can design your team uniforms with a wide variety of colors, although as far as logos go you're still only limited to the logos provided in the game. You can also create the layout of your arena, set ticket and concessions prices, assign scouts, on and on. Went through the expansion draft which was fun, the CPU does a good job of leaving unprotected a good mix of garbage players and players with expiring or hefty contracts. What might help a bit here is a bit more of a tutorial in this spot so that you know you may be picking up a player who becomes a free agent once July 1st hits on the calendar.

The NHL entry draft is a few days after that, and it was nice to see quite a few of the names that were drafted this past summer on the list (as well as some fictional names for those still in college...looking at you, Quinn Hughes). Free Agency hits on July 1st and that was a fun one...I decided to make a splash signing and went after defenseman/2010 Team USA World Junior hero/Stanley Cup Champion John Carlson. I like that you don't find out right away if a player signs with you, it can be a little while. Some players I went after signed elsewhere because they didn't feel like I was a contender (and I'm not)...I like that. Once I was done signing the players I felt I needed to sign (depth and all that), I simmed to the start of preseason. Even if you do click to sim all the way through, the computer does pause the sim if another team proposes a trade to you. Since most of the trades involved giving up draft picks for 2019, I passed.

This will probably be one of those things where I play a game a week (in season) and sim the rest, but the gameplay is still very good. Played the first preseason game (at home in Seattle) and lost 6-3 to the Oilers. Edmonton was up 5-0 (with a hat trick from Connor McDavid) before I made this game respectable...maybe I should put a little more effort into finding a goaltender?
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Interesting. I never stuck with Franchise mode in any game for the reason you stated. Playing one game a week and mostly swimming just seemed moot to me, but to be fair, at that time, the operations of the team were not realistic and therefore not fun at all, to me at least.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on October 12, 2018, 10:48:28 AM
Started a deep dive into Franchise mode a few days ago...instead of going the home team route, I went the expansion route and created a team in Seattle called the Sonics  ;)

I wish Madden included this every year. This was easily one of the best features of Maddden 2002 and is so much fun. Just seeing this put NHL 19 on my potential to-buy list.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on October 12, 2018, 11:04:17 AM
Interesting. I never stuck with Franchise mode in any game for the reason you stated. Playing one game a week and mostly swimming just seemed moot to me, but to be fair, at that time, the operations of the team were not realistic and therefore not fun at all, to me at least.

Madden's easily the most playable franchise mode. MLB's 162 games is so much, and I've always had an issue simming in franchise modes. I just feel like I bought the game to play it, you know? And I feel like, if I have a pitcher get shelled in a game I simmed, I get mad and think I could've done a better job.

Same goes for when I've tried to do NHL and NBA franchises. That's why I prefer things like Road to the Show and their NBA and NHL equivalents (Madden's has always been crappy, although I hear last year's was really amazing and this year's, while not bad, isn't quite as good).