News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The 30 Days of Music Challenge

Started by TheNorm, January 03, 2018, 09:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Meant to do this on Twitter awhile ago, but throwing it out here...play along as much or as little as you want, I always like hearing everyone else's responses. The way it works is I post once a day in this thread, and you respond with a song that fits within the parameters. Simple enough, right? Here goes.

Day 1
1. A song you're embarrassed to admit you like.
So I've been doing ballroom dance for about 2.5 years now, and this is a perfect song for someone learning a Viennese Waltz - not too fast for a beginner, and not too slow either (otherwise it would just be a waltz). Couldn't stand it before since it was related to Twilight, but I don't mind it now. Go figure.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Crewe

TheNorm

Not sure what it says about me when I wouldn't be embarrassed by either of those tunes lol
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Sakura

Embarrassed to admit I like?  Don't really have any songs that fit that descriptor, typically if I like a song, I like it without reservation.  I guess in certain contexts there can be songs where I wouldn't want to show someone I like it, but that's more along the lines of not wanting an individual to judge you more than anything else.

BojackHorsefella

Taylor Swift - Blank Space.

That was easy.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 04, 2018, 10:32:56 AM
Not sure what it says about me when I wouldn't be embarrassed by either of those tunes lol

Lol I always railed against poppy songs like this back when, so, it didn't go well for me when this on termed my zone

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on January 04, 2018, 12:15:37 PM
Taylor Swift - Blank Space.

That was easy.

That song is a jam...and once again I'm left to wonder what this says that I'm not embarrassed by this one at all.  8)

TheNorm

Day 2
2. A song that made you a fan of an artist

So many to choose from (almost went with The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars here), but The Arena by Lindsey Stirling's my pick. Not something I typically would've listened to, but heard this one, quickly jumped into a lot of her other stuff and have been a fan since.

BojackHorsefella

2. Au Revoir (Adios) by The Front Bottoms.

To be fair, I'd never even heard of them, and only saw them because they were opening for Brand New last year (well, 2016. Before the allegations against Jesse Lacy or Brand New, is what I'm saying).

So, part of it was seeing them live and really connecting and being like "I need every CD," but this quick little jaunt is the one that played over and over in my head afterward, so I'm choosing it.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 04, 2018, 04:12:17 PM
Day 2
2. A song that made you a fan of an artist

So many to choose from (almost went with The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars here), but The Arena by Lindsey Stirling's my pick. Not something I typically would've listened to, but heard this one, quickly jumped into a lot of her other stuff and have been a fan since.

I like that too norm, Ill have to check out more.
For me, Beth Hart with Joe Bonamassa come to mind, holy crap what a duo,

I was contemplating posting Deap Vally which is a female duo devoted to rock (think if Heart and White Stripes had offspring plus an affair with Black Sabbath) but Beth Hart was more of a departure from my signature likes when I was alerted to her existence.

rollntider

TheNorm

Thanks to those of you that have played along so far - it's been pretty neat seeing the responses.  :thumbsup:

Day 3
A parody or novelty song you like

Had to turn to Weird Al for this one...and he has a bunch to choose from, but I went with this one.

Crewe

Hard to go wrong with Weird Al, but Im going with my fav

BojackHorsefella

I'm going to stretch this one out based more on the merits of it's video (which I'm at work so can't embed like you cool cats) than the song, but:

Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al