Main Menu

The Movie Review Thread

Started by TheNorm, May 31, 2015, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on July 01, 2017, 12:10:49 PM
Wonder Woman
Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Robin Wright, David Thewlis

It's amazing how much better a DC Universe movie can be when Zack Snyder has as little as possible to do with it. An origin story along the lines of Captain America: The First Avenger, Gadot absolutely kills the part. Best DCU movie since the Nolan Batman trilogy.

4.25 out of 5

It's certainly worth seeing and I too think Gadot not only looked the part, she also turned out a wonderful performance that could have easily made this a so so film.

Luggnutz

Quote from: Crewe on July 03, 2017, 06:59:29 PM
Quote from: TheNorm on July 01, 2017, 12:10:49 PM
Wonder Woman
Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Robin Wright, David Thewlis

It's amazing how much better a DC Universe movie can be when Zack Snyder has as little as possible to do with it. An origin story along the lines of Captain America: The First Avenger, Gadot absolutely kills the part. Best DCU movie since the Nolan Batman trilogy.

4.25 out of 5

It's certainly worth seeing and I too think Gadot not only looked the part, she also turned out a wonderful performance that could have easily made this a so so film.

I believe Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman will be like Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. Hard to replace.
I was very impressed with her performance in this film.

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on July 01, 2017, 05:58:00 PM
Glad to hear it, I was about to write off DC
Considering what the other DCCU movies look like, I'd say "you might want to anyway."  As much as I like Jason Momoa, I think that his Aqua man looks just awful.  Affleck's Batman is pretty underwhelming, and Superman .. I don't think there's ever going to be a Superman who doesn't make me think "this guy ain't Superman."  But maybe I just hate Superman so much that I inherently dislike Superman projects.  I just think that he's a bland and boring character.

Who are they using for the Justice League?  I know the current Avengers composition never existed in the comics, and they were even contemplating removing Tony Stark completely for the Avengers movies, which is why it comes up in Iron Man 2.    The original Justice League was Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Wonder Woman.  Green Lantern was Ryan Reynolds, so are they going to reboot that, actually use that, or just completely write that one off?  Is there a Flash movie character so far?  Momoa's Aquaman looks like a weird S&M freak.  Has there been an establishment for Martian Manhunter?

And then there's the aspect of "what are they going to rip off of the MCU?"  If they do a Flash movie, how much of it is going to be traditional Flash, and how much of it is going to be trying to replicate Quicksilver's scenes from the new X-Men movies?  Also as much as people love to compliment and say how awesome Wonder Woman was, I'm going to make a criticism that I wish other people would make, which is the bracer bullet blocking thing.  Come on, that's the laziest thing, she barely even moves her wrists, like somehow she's blocking these bullets, and she's moving so slowly to do it...  Can she see two seconds into the future or something?  You try blocking a bullet like that and see how it works out.  And what's worse, she has a shield, but she's still blocking these bullets with her bracers.. Why?

More attention to detail and care needs to be taken, because the little things like that should not be just ignored.

rollntider

Quote from: Luggnutz on July 06, 2017, 03:34:45 PM
I believe Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman will be like Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. Hard to replace.
I was very impressed with her performance in this film.

Hearing that alot, hear it is really good and she killed it.

Quote from: Sakura on July 06, 2017, 07:07:39 PM
Considering what the other DCCU movies look like, I'd say "you might want to anyway."  As much as I like Jason Momoa, I think that his Aqua man looks just awful.  Affleck's Batman is pretty underwhelming, and Superman .. I don't think there's ever going to be a Superman who doesn't make me think "this guy ain't Superman."  But maybe I just hate Superman so much that I inherently dislike Superman projects.  I just think that he's a bland and boring character.

Who are they using for the Justice League?  I know the current Avengers composition never existed in the comics, and they were even contemplating removing Tony Stark completely for the Avengers movies, which is why it comes up in Iron Man 2.    The original Justice League was Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Wonder Woman.  Green Lantern was Ryan Reynolds, so are they going to reboot that, actually use that, or just completely write that one off?  Is there a Flash movie character so far?  Momoa's Aquaman looks like a weird S&M freak.  Has there been an establishment for Martian Manhunter?

And then there's the aspect of "what are they going to rip off of the MCU?"  If they do a Flash movie, how much of it is going to be traditional Flash, and how much of it is going to be trying to replicate Quicksilver's scenes from the new X-Men movies?  Also as much as people love to compliment and say how awesome Wonder Woman was, I'm going to make a criticism that I wish other people would make, which is the bracer bullet blocking thing.  Come on, that's the laziest thing, she barely even moves her wrists, like somehow she's blocking these bullets, and she's moving so slowly to do it...  Can she see two seconds into the future or something?  You try blocking a bullet like that and see how it works out.  And what's worse, she has a shield, but she's still blocking these bullets with her bracers.. Why?

More attention to detail and care needs to be taken, because the little things like that should not be just ignored.

I am willing to give Aquaman a shot, Affleck to me could not act like he was on fire if you doused him in gas and threw a match at him. Superman is just too op. It was fine in the 40's when no one knew any better.

As for the DC universe, my dislike for Affleck has kept me from enjoying the new batman. I hate Christian Bale also, but dude killed the batman role. He can at least act. Plus that Joker movie is probably the best superhero movie ever.  Suicide squad was an abortion of a movie. The introduced every character and did their back story, so now we have 15 minutes of plot and now we love each other as a team. The best actor Will Smith could not save the movie. Margot was actually decent.  Joker got more screen time in the commercials than he did in the movie, which is a good thing because he looked like a dude trying to outdo heath ledger. Diablo could have been a decent character but they crapped the bed with him. Plus that ending was like,  not sure how we going to end this so lets not change our formula for this crappy movie and make it suck . It was as bad as Spiderman 3 or that last Fantastic 4 movie.

I agree on the flash movie, it will probably be a rip off of Xmen, which I think they did a good job with the last 3 movies.

I look forward to seeing WW, I still have the bad taste of Suicide squad in my mouth.

Crewe

Suicide squad was just not a good flick

Sakura

Quote from: Crewe on July 07, 2017, 03:51:47 PM
Suicide squad was just not a good flick
Gotta admit though, it was pretty ballsy to try and turn their cinematic universe into an R-rated universe when they saw how Deadpool make bank.  It was funny, everyone was thinking that THAT is what people wanted, was for more R-rated comic book movies.  They took the completely WRONG THING away from the whole thing.  Yes, people want more like Deadpool...  But it wasn't the swearing, nudity and gore that they wanted.  It was the fact that the movie didn't take itself way too seriously (or .. at all).  Also you didn't have PR people trying to insist that the movie was created as a vehicle for the LGBT movement (like they're doing with the new X-Men films).

From what I recall, the Juggalo Joker from Suicide Squad was actually Jared Leto's doing.  He wanted the green hair, and the gold teeth, and the tattoos, etc.

Crewe

TheNorm

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Tom Holland, Robert Downey Jr., Marisa Tomei, Michael Keaton, Zendaya

I feel so much better about Spidey now that it's in the hands of the MCU and not whatever the hell Sony's been doing with it...and I'm so glad they skipped the whole origin story (we get it already). This movie takes place in the MCU right after the events of Civil War. Movie is well done, and Tom Holland just nails it as a Peter Parker/Spider-Man that's learning the ropes and also trying to navigate high school. Michael Keaton is incredible as the big bad in this one too, and IMO he's one of the best villains I've seen written in awhile, he's not one-dimensional. Go check it out, and soon.

4.75 out of 5
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Sakura

Quote from: TheNorm on July 07, 2017, 08:49:17 PMI feel so much better about Spidey now that it's in the hands of the MCU and not whatever the hell Sony's been doing with it...and I'm so glad they skipped the whole origin story (we get it already).
Oh, did they finally get that crap all sorted out?  Maybe I'll see it after all.  I'd say "thankfully Image comics didn't fall into the same trap," but let's be honest, no one wants to make a friggin Spawn movie other than Todd McFarlane.

rollntider

Michael Keaton is a good actor. I can't wait to see this.

TheNorm

Dunkirk
Fionn Whitehead, Cillian Murphy, Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh, Harry Styles, Mark Rylance, Jack Lowden

As usual, Director Christopher Nolan delivers a masterpiece. This is about the evacuation of British troops from the French mainland in 1940, as the German armed forces have them surrounded. It's intense from start to finish, and also short for a Nolan film, clocking in at around 2 hours. Go check it out.

4.75 out of 5
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Baby Driver
Ansel Elgort, Lily James, Eiza Gonzalez, Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx, Kevin Spacey

Director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World) tackles the car chase/crime caper genre and does a pretty damn good job with it. Baby is about a getaway driver that operates by his own soundtrack (which is explained in the film). He's working for a crime boss to pay off what he stole from that boss years before, and Baby's eager to get out of the business since he met the girl of his dreams. Dialogue was pretty good throughout although there are maybe a couple dull moments, and the cinematography (especially during the car chase scenes) is phenomenal. Enjoyable soundtrack too...and as a side note, I really miss my iPod Classic.
As for the recent elephant in the room, one Kevin Spacey. I watched this movie a few days ago, right before the allegations against him started dropping (and haven't stopped as I write this). He's not in it much, but his character is pivotal. If you can watch and set a line between the character and the actor, then by all means you need to check out this movie. But if you can't, I completely get that too.

4 out of 5

PS: Don't believe me? Just watch this opening clip unless you don't want to get spoiled...I could watch this clip over and over.

Crewe

I watched this based solely on your suggestion because before I didn't think I'd like it and still wasn't sure what it was, genre wise.
Spoiler
i was afraid it would be over the top with cartoon characters. The cinematography was quite good. I really like the long tracking shot during the first coffee run. It's not Goodfellas, but good. The storytelling in this flick surprised me quite a bit, although it did morph into the popcorn generic action flick in the final act.
I did like the ending...good, bad, good with a sour twist.
I thought they overplayed the showdown at the diner and the garage but I can live with it overall oh and I hate Jamie flippin Foxx, but despite his punchable face, he did a great job here. Spacey? I mean, what do you do, guy has some great performances, but he's a shitheel to be sure.

thaima1shu

Saw Justice League. I hated Batman vs. Superman but loved Wonder Woman. I went into this with super low expectations but actually came away from it pretty surprised. It wasn't a great movie, but it was entertaining and provided some good laughs. A few corny lines and the story had some weird points to it, but overall I laughed quite a bit and there were some insanely cool parts.

Spoiler
Absolutely loved the scene when Superman was fighting the Justice League. Showed how incredibly powerful he truly is. When The Flash is trying to get around him while he's holding off the other three, and Superman just slowly turns his head to watch The Flash...my god that was one of the most badass moments I've seen.

Sakura

Quote from: thaima1shu on November 20, 2017, 12:08:47 PM
Saw Justice League. I hated Batman vs. Superman but loved Wonder Woman. I went into this with super low expectations but actually came away from it pretty surprised. It wasn't a great movie, but it was entertaining and provided some good laughs. A few corny lines and the story had some weird points to it, but overall I laughed quite a bit and there were some insanely cool parts.

Spoiler
Absolutely loved the scene when Superman was fighting the Justice League. Showed how incredibly powerful he truly is. When The Flash is trying to get around him while he's holding off the other three, and Superman just slowly turns his head to watch The Flash...my god that was one of the most badass moments I've seen.
Yeah, it was pretty impressive when they did that same scene in X-Men Apocalypse first.  :D