UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2018 Off-Season/Season

Started by BojackHorsefella, January 12, 2018, 03:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Good.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/958049861806493697
I'd be perfectly fine with them just changing the name too...and hey, maybe that bitch-ass team that plays football in Washington can change their name and logo as well. I'm all for that.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I don't intend to come off as insensitive, and I get the argument, but I just dont see this as necessary. In my mind, it doesn't promote racism. A swastika promotes racism, not a logo.
But, Im not a Native American either.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 29, 2018, 02:31:38 PM
I don't intend to come off as insensitive, and I get the argument, but I just dont see this as necessary. In my mind, it doesn't promote racism. A swastika promotes racism, not a logo.

Fair enough...in my mind, if a group of people finds it offensive it needs to go.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 29, 2018, 04:41:32 PM
Quote from: Crewe on January 29, 2018, 02:31:38 PM

Fair enough...in my mind, if a group of people finds it offensive it needs to go.

thats pretty broad though, I mean in this day and age you can find a group offended by Taco Bell.
I say that in jest, but I feel like if you start tinkering with everything offensive, who knows.
Again, Im not so well versed in this specific topic but obviously I am aware of our treatment of Native Americans and Im sure there's a large enough contingent to effect change. I just think its more nitpicking than anything.

BojackHorsefella

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Been listening to At-Bat at work. Cubs game first, currently Yankees. Then tonight, headed to Safeco Field for opening day with the Mariners!

Love having a pro baseball team nearby now. 20 years in South Carolina without one. I've missed out so much.

Crewe

I just....wow....I mean.....well, that's why you always run it out

https://streamable.com/bx48z

TheNorm

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof. That's awful lol

Crewe

it really is, and Im not laying it on Hosmer, thats catchers ball all day long. Runner on second, sure, but with two outs? his ball, his fail, his loss.

BojackHorsefella

How about that James Paxton, Thai?

Crewe

Guy is on a roll man. Great defense too, can't be overlooked. I love how he relied on his best pitch and like he said, everyone knew it was coming....my best v your best, lets see what happens.
Good for him.

thaima1shu

Was preeeety awesome. Clearly he realized that he needed to not give up any hits after 16 k's in his last outing and still not getting the W. Smart man.

BojackHorsefella

You going to the celebration on the 18th? I bought one of the $10 tickets way up in 308. I usually end up just heading down to the Pen anyway, but after sitting in Kings Court last Sunday, I'd rather be out of the sun, haha.

Also I want that blanket hoodie they're giving away. Looks cozy.

thaima1shu

Nice! Wish I could but got plans for that evening. Gonna have to get out there more this summer.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, I've only gone to Opening day, and then I went this past Friday and Sunday to see Shohei hit and pitch. Got the Han Seago bobblehead on Friday (my kid loves those, and the exclusive Pop! figures).

Yeah, I...pick my games based on the promotions......Well, a combination of what are they giving away and who's playing, anyway.

I gotta get that Nelson Cruz Funko though (got kiddo the Felix one last year, plus I get to see the Rays) and those Cano and Cruz wine stoppers (I think that's against the Twins).

So far, between last year and this, I've seen the Mariners, Yankees (multiple), Indians (multiple), Angels (multiple), Astros (multiple) and Rangers, I think. Actually, I might have seen the Rangers twice, I can't remember. While I was working with Comcast last year they did an awards event where we got to watch the game from the suite, although my entire store basically just went down to Edgar's, haha.

Anyways. I'm eyeing Rays, Twins and Tigers, obviously, and I may try to catch a game against the Athletics, Royals (a Paxton bobblehead and a Mariners throwback cap on a Saturday then Sunday?! How do I decide which game to go to?!), Blue Jays, Rockies, White Sox, Dodgers and Giants games all later this year.

Oh, and the Red Sox on fireworks night with kiddo. Hopefully the Mariners crush them.

BojackHorsefella

I uh.....after living in South Carolina for right around 20 years, I'm very excited to live near a pro baseball team, as you can tell from that last post. That was a lot. Many apologies.