News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

I'd love to see a Rockstar Prohibition era game. I'd also like to see a Rockstar pirate game, possibly influenced by me playing Black Flag right now and imagining how it could be even larger. Been really enjoying it.

TheNorm

Top 5 Sports Uniforms

1. Michigan Wolverines (football) - the iconic helmet. Maize & Blue. Did you really think I was going to go with anything else? This pic has the traditional maize, which for some reason Adidas couldn't match when they had the uniform contract from 2008-2014.

2. Detroit Red Wings - the Winged Wheel. I might be biased but this jersey is hockey to me. Minor changes here and there but overall a classic.

3. Detroit Tigers - baseball and the old English D. This uniform has also undergone very minor changes over the decades (in looking through pics, the logo seen here with the navy blue on white has been around as far back as 1946, maybe longer).

4. Detroit Lions (1990-2000) - this is the Honolulu Blue & Silver I remember the most, with the stripes on the sleeves. Not surprisingly my fondest memories of this team (there aren't much) coincide with the guy wearing the jersey in the pic.

5. USA Hockey (2010 Winter Olympics) - I dunno, I just really dig the logo design here. It looked really f'ing good.

Honorable Mentions

2019 USWNT World Cup - simple but they look awesome. Also nice to see a US Soccer team kit with stars on them to represent World Cup wins. Plus Megan Rapinoe is the shit, so here it is lol.

Detroit Pistons (2001-2005) - While I love the jerseys from the Bad Boys era, these ones from the 2001-2005 era just look a little neater to me.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Feel like we've discussed this before but I just didn't feel like going through the thread to look. Oh well. If we haven't, then shoot.

Top 5 Shows that had the perfect ending

My qualifier for this is a show that ended as close to perfect as it could and didn't drag on.

1. Friday Night Lights
2. Parks and Recreation
3. The Good Place
4. Homicide: Life on the Street
5. ER
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Well, y'all already know a few of my my tops lol

The Wire
The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Cheers
Dick Van Dyke Show

Rigg44

Top 5 uniforms

1. Washington Redskins

2. Tampa Bay Bucks Creamsicle

3. Royals black

4. Frankfurt Galaxy

5. Atlanta

Honorable mention

The Wichita Colts of TUFF

Rigg44

Top 5 Shows that had the perfect ending

1. Hell on Wheels
2. Breaking Bad
3. Mash
4. Cheers
5. Longmire

Crewe

I was recalling the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game and thought why not have a top 5 Kevin Bacon movies

5. Flatliners

Campy? Kinda not really. This was good to see at the drive in back when. Bacon really had a great character and along with Kiefer and Julia, probably the best performances.

4. Tremors
I think this movie upgrades the B movie genre exponentially. Such fun and sincerely good performances from Ward and Bacon

3. Murder in the First
While Slater was good, Bacon was brilliant imo. The film itself twists true characters in to prison tropes which still plays out ok but not quite worthy of Kevin's performance

2. Apollo 13
There's just not much else to say here.

1. Mystic River
Would the film even work without him? Nah.

Honorable mentions - A Few Good Men, Animal House, Footloose

Crewe

Well that one died on the vine, so let's try this one...

Top 5 John Hughes Films

Our lists are with the understanding that Hughes' films were mostly different levels of awesome.  :D

Mr. Mom
Michael Keaton just killed this role. Teri Garr and Martin Mull were perfectly placed in this film.
Our family quoted this movie quite often and to this day, 220, 221, whatever it takes, still finds its way in to my conversations.

Vacation
Russ! Russ, your feet!
This, Animal House, Smokey and the Bandit and Caddyshack are the essentials to any movie quote professional

The Great Outdoors
this was great cable TV fare. I used it often to culture my nephews on their growing pop culture lexicon, plus, John Candy.

Christmas Vacation
Since I already had a Candy movie, I went with this one. A staple every year if not more, just like PTA. I also used to have Clark's harangue on my answering machine.

Ferris Beuller's Day Off
Just a fun film all the way around. Jennifer Grey was awesome, Jeffrey Jones as Rooney was absolute gold and of course Edie McClurg rounded out a spectacular supporting cast. This film wouldn't have been near as good without those guys.
And Mia Sara...yea
:D

TheNorm

John Hughes

Breakfast Club - So many quotable lines from this film, I can't leave this off.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Might not be a top 5 80's movie for me but definitely top 10.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Just a great great movie, Steve Martin and John Candy were perfectly cast in this.

Mr. Mom - arguably Michael Keaton's best role. Almost 40 years later and this movie is still great too.

Uncle Buck - first time I saw this movie it was just okay...but it grew on me. John Candy always had great comedic timing.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 23, 2020, 10:20:16 AM
John Hughes

Breakfast Club - So many quotable lines from this film, I can't leave this off.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Might not be a top 5 80's movie for me but definitely top 10.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Just a great great movie, Steve Martin and John Candy were perfectly cast in this.

Mr. Mom - arguably Michael Keaton's best role. Almost 40 years later and this movie is still great too.

Uncle Buck - first time I saw this movie it was just okay...but it grew on me. John Candy always had great comedic timing.

Haha! Mr. Mom is such a great flick lol It wsa at the top of the list for years

Let's see if this topic will have legs...

Top 5 album covers all time. It helps if you really like the album but not necessary

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac. Iconic, all time, both the cover and the album

Dark Side - Pink Floyd. Enough said

Foreigner - Head Games. Always loved this album and the cover. It was just so....gutsy

London Calling - The Clash. The fact this is an in concert photo is so...punk

Surfer Rosa - Pixies. I love the art direction here, the flamenco dancer is perfect juxtaposition

TheNorm

Okay, album covers...so many I wanted to include but I went with my heart on these. Fleetwood Mac, The Clash, and Pink Floyd are iconic obviously...in no particular order:

Album Covers

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
The arrival of West Coast Gangsta Rap.

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Simple but judging by the cover you had no idea what was about to be unleashed once you started playing it.

Prince - Purple Rain
Same thing. Simple but the album you were about to play would blow your mind.

The Beatles - Revolver
Really thought about going with Abbey Road for this one, but the art on this one is great...plus I just like this album better too.

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Ah, the grade school memories from when this album dropped. 3MTA3 on the tailfin will always be funny to me.

Honorable Mention because I can. :)
Van Halen - 1984
I can't believe this wasn't posted. They may have more iconic album covers but this is the one for me.

Crewe

I like the NWA cover as well, and of course the VH ;-)
But like you said, too many options

TheNorm

Not that I've got an eye on a PS5 anytime soon, but since we're at the tail end of the PS4 era...

Top Five PS4 Games I've Played

1. Spider-Man - the amount of care and devotion that Insomniac put into this game and this story was just incredible. It really did feel like an MCU movie to me, and it was really hard for me to put down. NYC looked absolutely stunning and felt like big city life. The characters were well done too. Photo mode was fun to mess around with. I couldn't put this one down.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 2018 gave us some incredible games, and this one...wow. Loved playing as Arthur Morgan, and the world that Rockstar built was simply epic. The interactions with the gang were amazing, and you know they did a great job with the characters when you'd get a little bummed when some would meet their demise while you simply couldn't wait to send another character on the express to Hell (yeah Micah).

3. Ghost of Tsushima - what a swan song for the PS4, with some of the best graphics and gameplay on the console. Compelling story too, with interesting side characters that help round out Jin's story. Honestly, I go back and forth on switching this one and RDR2 on this list.

4. South Park: The Fractured But Whole - to me, this game was better than The Stick of Truth. It felt like a really great episode of South Park and just like the show wasn't afraid to cross boundaries. There were moments in this game where I had to pause it for a few minutes because I simply couldn't stop laughing. I really need to play through this again, it's been a few years.

5. Grand Theft Auto V - feels weird putting a game that dropped during the tail end of the PS3 era and was ported over to PS4, but the story was good and the graphical upgrade...wow. This game might even be higher (and maybe RDR2 perhaps) if Rockstar actually added more standalone single player offline stories like they did in the past (think back to RDR1 and GTA IV) but they only give a fuck about the online modes now. Props to them though, they've made the online mode so great that it's still thriving in 2021...so much so that this will carry over to the PS5 too. Maybe sometime during the PS5 life cycle we'll actually get a GTA VI.

Sure I missed quite a few (God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4) but if I didn't finish them they weren't making the list. Might also be the first list for me where a console didn't release a sports title that was good enough for me to add here...NBA 2K20 would be the closest.

Your turn.

TheNorm

Fuck it, since I'm awake and I don't recall doing this for the end of the PS3 life cycle, here goes...

Top 5 PS3 Games I've Played

1. Batman: Arkham City - what Rocksteady did with this series and this character can't be overlooked. This sequel to Arkham Asylum gave us an open world Gotham City (well kinda), smooth controls, and the characters you knew and loved from the first game. Graphics were amazing, and getting the voice actors from Batman: The Animated Series was perfect. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill are the perfect animated Batman and Joker.

2. Batman: Arkham Asylum - Could make a case for this game to be number 1 on my list. Rocksteady's initial Batman story of the lock-in from hell was one of the best of all-time. Controls (as in the two sequels) made you feel like The Dark Knight, and it worked in his detective skills as well. The run-ins with Scarecrow were also a trippy change of pace. The more I write about this, the game feels more like a 1a to Arkham City.

3. Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar did an amazing job with this one, giving us John Marston and his epic quest to track down members of his old gang. Incredible graphics, a diverse cast of characters you run into along the way, and an awesome open world map of the old but quickly changing west. I slow played this one (a feat I'd repeat with RDR 2), but this game was a great story.

4. Mass Effect 2 - Bought this used and this quickly became a game (and series) I couldn't stop playing. Thanks to XBox exclusivity at the time, this game and not ME1 was the first for the PS2. The introduction of this game let you make the major choices from the first game to give you a base for how this one starts out, which was fine by me. Loved the story and graphics on this, and the second I finished this ME3 was already out so I got to pick that one up too. Long live Commander Shepard.

5. NCAA Football 14 - EA gets bashed (and rightfully so) for how stagnant their Madden series has become, but they really were on the right track with this one. Customizable conferences, great graphics and controls, animations that looked like football...impressive stuff. The online community has kept this one alive too with the yearly roster project. Only thing they didn't have in the game was the four team playoff which wouldn't be implemented in real life until after this game had dropped. Recently hooked my PS3 back up and this game still plays well. Good luck finding it now though, this game is selling online for over $100 in a lot of places.

Honorable Mentions

College Hoops 2K8 - the graphics on this sure seem dated but the controls still feel perfect now. One of the best Legacy modes in any sports game. 2K always treated this franchise right; here's hoping with the return of NCAA Football that 2K can bring this back too.

Burnout: Paradise - a classic.

TheNorm

Well since those two were so popular, let's try another one...  8)

Top 5 Iconic Star Wars Quotes

These are my personal favorites going across the entire Star Wars Universe...trying to narrow it down to 5 is an absolute pain in the ass, but as Yoda says: "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

5. "This is the way." - The Mandalorian
What Jon Favreau has done to restore some credibility to the Star Wars franchise after the absolute abomination of The Rise of Skywalker can't be overlooked. Plus, Mando's an amazing character with two amazing seasons so far.

4. "I'm one with the Force, the Force is with me." - Chirrut Imwe, Rogue One
I loved Chirrut's wisdom and this movie is easily the best Star Wars film in the last...well, since the original trilogy came out.

3. "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango Fett, Attack of the Clones
As trash as this movie was it still gave us this nugget. I've grown to appreciate the Fetts more over the years and this quote resonates with me.

2. "The Force will be with you. Always." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, A New Hope
This was an easy choice, as is the next one on the list.

1. "No. *I* am your father." - Darth Vader, The Empire Strikes Back
This one really doesn't require an explanation.

Damn there's a ton I wanted to add to this, but I'll just go with one honorable mention here since Luke was my favorite character as a child (once I got older Han Solo became that for me but that's a discussion for another day):
"I'll never turn to the dark side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Now go and take your shots...or ignoring it is fine too lol