News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The 2020 Song A Day Thread

Started by TheNorm, January 17, 2020, 11:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Since we are locked down (some of us,) let Joe Walsh give you some ideas of what to do...
Waffle Stomp...you might know it from Fast Times

TheNorm

Sunday, March 22

Absolutely loving the 80s vibe on this song and video.

The Weeknd - Blinding Lights

https://youtu.be/4NRXx6U8ABQ
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Contributing this today. No particular reason.

Rigg44

Crewe

you know some, like Ray Charles, never respected Elvis because he claims he ripped off the black man's music. What ever your opinion on the matter, that fucker could flat out sing!

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on March 25, 2020, 04:23:41 PM
you know some, like Ray Charles, never respected Elvis because he claims he ripped off the black man's music. What ever your opinion on the matter, that fucker could flat out sing!

I get that in the era it was easier for him than other artists like Ray Charles because of his color.  But that should not take from his ability to sing.  I personally believe Michal Jackson was a pedophile and R kelly is as well but I still sing along to Billy Jenne and I believe I can Fly.  So him copying the style and sound of ethnic music, if true, seems like a lesser crime to me.   

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on March 25, 2020, 05:17:37 PM
Quote from: Crewe on March 25, 2020, 04:23:41 PM

I get that in the era it was easier for him than other artists like Ray Charles because of his color.  But that should not take from his ability to sing.  I personally believe Michal Jackson was a pedophile and R kelly is as well but I still sing along to Billy Jenne and I believe I can Fly.  So him copying the style and sound of ethnic music, if true, seems like a lesser crime to me.

And can a musical style be owned? That's always my beef with those that get haughty about it.

Rigg44

Used to sing this with my girls just about every night before bed.  They got to choose between this twinkle little star, zippity do dah, and I won't back down.  Weird combo I know but this one got chosen a lot  ;P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Man4Xw8Xypo

Crewe

America, A Horse with no name.
Mainly because its the song Im trying to learn right now ;-)

TheNorm

April 4, 2020.

Meant to post this yesterday (missed it by minutes)...another soulful voice gone. Posted in the Top Five Thread a couple months ago my Top 5 Bill Withers tunes, and this was/is my #1. Rest in Peace.

https://youtu.be/CICIOJqEb5c
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Rigg44

TheNorm

Some days, you just gotta go old school. This may continue for a few days lol.

Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock - It Takes Two

https://youtu.be/phOW-CZJWT0

TheNorm

April 15...the old school 'education' continues. Can still do the dance too, just like in high school. Still got it. :D

New Edition - If It Isn't Love

https://youtu.be/ReI6gvzVP0Y

Rigg44

Well if we are talking oldies lets go way back to a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFyuOEovTOE

TheNorm