Main Menu

The Movie Review Thread

Started by TheNorm, May 31, 2015, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Saw it today guys...

A few things....

I give it a 4 out of 5

I thought it was A new Hope rebooted. That isnt a bad thing.

A few things they could have done to make it better.

Have more Poe, great character and the actor did it Justice.

Felt Leia was an afterthought instead of a main character

Spoiler thoughts :)
Spoiler

To make it better continued:
Leave Kilo Ren's mask on, it took away the mystique when he pulled it off and yahoo Serious is behind the mask.

Have a reason for Kilo Ren to wear the mask other than to look cool.

I loved the Fin Character, but he is not a Jedi and why is he able to wield it? You never saw that unless you were a Jedi or some machine Hybrid like Greivous.

I felt Rey "learned" her powers too quick. Its like she was equal to a Sith lord after 15 minutes... seems off

Would have loved to see Luke sooner, but I guess since Han was going, they did not want to saturate the time with too many old stars.

those are some of the minor irks i had with it. It had enough of funny in it, the story telling was good and plenty of action.

Why is it a new hope rebooted?
Empire Invades Camp/Ship to intercept plans? Check
Droid escapes with plans to be intercepted by some smuggler/scrapper who happens to take them to the correct people? Check
Empire chasing droid that has plans? Check
Darth Whomever capture person to interrogate? Check
Giant planet/star to destroy planets? Check
Old Important man killed by Evil Darth? Check
Jedi goes on sabbatical after his apprentice turns evil? Check

I could go on and on, but it was nicely done and I did love it. It was like the old saying history repeats itself.

It seemed to be one of the most action packed movies in a very very long time.
The new Empire is more evil it seems compared to the old empire. They gave it a Nazi vibe, not a Nazi fan but love the look of the Empire though, I guess cause it was part of my childhood. They really made the Empire seem cutthroat compared to the first 6 movies.

I could go on but those were first initial impressions and I want more.

Crewe

Spoiler

I had that very thought about ANH rebooted, however, after the movie marinated, I feel that JJ had to keep it in the box to win back the fans and thats why I said I think they have so much flexibility now moving forward.
The mask coming off was a great move IMO. He idolizes his grandfather and the mask allows him to become his hero.
Rey obviously has the power of the force, hence the force awakens, and untapped resources but I find it believable that she can handle herself already and once she begins to accept the force her natural abilities are empowered. She wasnt equal to a Sith lord; Ren is nowhere near a Sith lord. I thought JJ demonstrated perfectly that Ren has not tamed his piwers, hence his unstableness and outbursts. Add to that he has never been confronted, hence, tested, against a natural enemy. I find his physical skill level to be equal to Finn and Rey
As for Finn and the saber, I have no answer but Im confident it will ve addressed.
Leia was not to be a main character.
I agree kind of, with your assessment about Luke, but I think the story dictates him not being in this film physically, although he was the driving plot.
When I said initially there was one character that didnt fit...for me, it was Poe.
He couldnt deliver his lines well, and they came off cheesy, like when taunting Ren about the mask and coming up with Finn's name...I was actually glad he died, but then of course, he didnt.
Not a movie killer though, just didnt think he was right.

My additional thoughts;
I thought Chewbacca stole this film.
Han was not overused and seamlessly passed the torch.
I love love LOVE the fact that JJ builds sets, uses minuatures, special effects and puppeteers ala ep IV, V, VI.
The prequels were green screened to hell by Lucas and the actors werent good enough to stand on a huge set with no reference and act within George's vision. Thats a big part of my dislike for the prequels.
Why are they called the resistance? When we left ROTJ, balance was restored. How did the First Order rise above again? Seems they would be the resistance? Think im missing something here but ill see it again Tuesday.
My biggest irk of VII was when everyone returned to base after Han died and Leia completely dissed Chewie. You would think that with the mutual history she wouldve shared some gesture with her love's best friend ever.
Bitch.
That still pisses me off lol

Glad you liked it, and I know what you mean, despite what ever flaws we find, it is still a well done, entertaining flick. Safe to say the galaxy is in good hands.

rollntider

Spoiler

Good points you bring up.

I agree Han was used correctly.
The movie style was great, I guess I never noticed the miniatures vs Green screen before.... great point.
I feel Poe and Rey together made up a full Luke. X Wing Pilot + Jedi person. We can disagree, but I think they kinda threw him at us Quick as a central character.
I missed the Leia dis, will have to rewatch and catch that.

One thing I wanted more of was the Silver Trooper, can't remember her name, but I think she is the Game of thrones actress Brean of Tarth (sp)

Crewe

Spoiler

re: Poe; by that i mean the actor portraying him, not the character. Still didnt hurt the movie for me, but its like any list, somebody has to be last.
On the Leia thing, I just thought she couldve made some sort of overture.
Yes! You are correct it is the actress from GoT

Crewe

Saw it for the second time today and ... enjoyed it just as much if not more than the first time.
I cannot stress how scintillating this cast is when compared to the prequels. Carrying every emotion that was sorely missed in I,II & III
See this flick.
I am truly as interested to see the next installment as I was in 77 and 80.
Spoiler

Did you catch the nod when Finn was scrounging for parts on the Falcon and came across the orb Luke used to train with in Ep IV?
Thought that was nice.
I warmed up to Poe this time, although my thoughts on him still stand.
Carrie Fisher looks much better in person, I don't understand why they made her look so awful in this flick. Usually its the other way around.
And yea tider, this dis to Chewbacca still pisses me off, immensely. I cannot fathom how such a great effort could overlook a pivotal moment like that. Abrahms isn't big on directors cuts but I really hope its corrected. If not now, perhaps addressed in the next one, assuming it will pick up right where this one leaves off.
Seeing it the second time, I'm even more convinced Ren's mask should have come off. I thought it was executed perfectly. The point is, he is not Vader. Just my .02
I think its a wonderful presentation in all areas.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 02, 2015, 11:42:37 PM
Creed
Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone, Tessa Thompson

Plain and simple, if you loved most of the Rocky movies (no one liked 5 lol) then you'll enjoy this one. Stallone still delivers as Rocky, but now he's coaxed into training a new guy: Adonis Johnson, which as you can figure out by the name of the movie, is the son of Apollo Creed. Michael B. Jordan's performance is incredible, and that shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that saw him in the last two seasons of NBC's Friday Night Lights. This is a movie worthy of the Rocky universe. You'll also get to find out who actually won the third fight between Apollo and Rocky, I thought that was a nice touch. :)

4.5 out of 5

Saw this one and agree. Stallone just gets overlooked as an action hero, but this guy is a good actor and he has Rocky down cold. I liked Rocky Balboa a little better, but I love this one for expanding the Rocky universe. I thought the boxing scenes were more realistic and mirrored a true boxing match....seemed cleaner, and the anniyncing was tighter as well.

Crewe

Trainwreck
Amy Schumer Bill Hader

Lets get this out of the way; I dont find Apatow to be the god everyone says he is but I do like Schumer, who wrote this film.
That said, its your cookie cutter rom com. The first half hour or so just feels like a platform for Amy to tell jokes, hardly intriguing, and if you are a fan of John Cena, you wont be after witnessing his sex scene with Schumer.
I dont thin Cena is a terribly tragic actor, but his character was just awful and it was almost turning off the tv bad, but, I was reading a book on my tablet through some of it so, I made it. I get the idea of making it painful to watch to advance the characters, but dear God that was awful.
Lebron James played the best friend, one of Haders former patients, and along with the other two, thank King James for adding to the save. He mightve had the best part in this film.
Spoiler
the intervention scene with Chris Evert and Matthew Broderick was on its way to being a winner until Marv "bite me" Albert was introduced. Talk about a scene killer. I cant fathom why Apatow thought that would be even remotely funny.
Amy does show a bit of range in her first feature and while it was far from a laugh fest, it did have its high points. Colin Quinn and Bill Hader were surprisingly good and thankfully saved this film.
Everywhere I look, people fawn all over this flick and I just dont get it.
It always felt like Amy believes her own press and just created a stand up routine for herself through a decent portion of the movie.
And that ending, seriously??
At the end of the day, there were some good jokes and quotes, but not enough to make me want to see it again

3/5

Crewe

Saw TFA again, 3rd time now and it is still a blast. per the norm, I pick up on things I never noticed before, and gain a better understanding of plot lines and potential future stories
I've said this a few times, but worth mentioning again, these actors carry the emotion of the characters extremely well. See it. If you have, see it again.

TheNorm

Straight Outta Compton
O'Shea Jackson Jr., Jason Mitchell, Corey Hawkins, Aldis Hodge, Neil Brown Jr., Paul Giamatti

Tells the story of how NWA got together and helped change rap and hip-hop with the release of their album Straight Outta Compton (dating myself here: had that on cassette and I wore the tape out back in the day). Covers a lot of things that the band had to deal with (treatment by the police, Jerry Heller screwing the band on their album deal) as well as their breakup and the entrance of Suge Knight into the picture (that dude is crazy as f*ck). Also pretty much ignores some of the other stuff in the band's history like Dee Barnes and their treatment of women in their lyrics. But overall still a great movie though.

4 out of 5
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Dead Friggin Pool  - Totally go see it. 4.5 out of 5

TheNorm

Captain America: Civil War
Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Scarlett Johansson, Chadwick Boseman, Elizabeth Olsen

This is what a superhero movie should be. Perfect casting, and an incredible story. For the record, I was always Team Cap before the movie and still am now...but the movie really does make you think a good long time about both sides. This may very well be the best movie in the MCU, even topping Winter Soldier for me. Go see the movie already!

5 out of 5
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on May 08, 2016, 12:48:14 PM
Captain America: Civil War
Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Scarlett Johansson, Chadwick Boseman, Elizabeth Olsen

This is what a superhero movie should be. Perfect casting, and an incredible story. For the record, I was always Team Cap before the movie and still am now...but the movie really does make you think a good long time about both sides. This may very well be the best movie in the MCU, even topping Winter Soldier for me. Go see the movie already!

5 out of 5

What he said.

rollntider

Quote from: thaima1shu on August 24, 2015, 12:35:30 PM
Loved Inside Out. I think it's one of my favorite movies that Pixar has ever made.

Loved it, watched it last week

TheNorm

Wonder Woman
Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Robin Wright, David Thewlis

It's amazing how much better a DC Universe movie can be when Zack Snyder has as little as possible to do with it. An origin story along the lines of Captain America: The First Avenger, Gadot absolutely kills the part. Best DCU movie since the Nolan Batman trilogy.

4.25 out of 5

rollntider

Glad to hear it, I was about to write off DC