News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

TV show recommendation thread

Started by rollntider, April 14, 2017, 10:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Sneaky Pete on Amazon, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Bret

Me, too. I also love Bosch, and am very excited for the new season released a week from today. Great, old-school cop show where the detectives actually do detective work.

Crewe

As far as regular tv, I've just begun The Americans. Intriguing enough thus far.
Watched a season of Blindspot and it was bland as hell. Pro tip, if you are going to have a bad ass military chick as your main character, make sure she doesn't run or fight like a girl.

Prioritize Mr. Robot

rollntider

Quote from: Bret on April 14, 2017, 01:31:44 PM
Me, too. I also love Bosch, and am very excited for the new season released a week from today. Great, old-school cop show where the detectives actually do detective work.
Will check that one out.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on April 14, 2017, 04:28:13 PM
As far as regular tv, I've just begun The Americans. Intriguing enough thus far.
Watched a season of Blindspot and it was bland as hell. Pro tip, if you are going to have a bad ass military chick as your main character, make sure she doesn't run or fight like a girl.

Prioritize Mr. Robot

I have heard that about Mr. Robot. What season are they in now?

TheNorm

Slowly catching up on 24: Legacy. I like it, the new guy is cool. As long as people let go of Jack Bauer, they'll be fine with this one too. Speaking of Jack Bauer, Designated Survivor has been pretty good through the first six episodes (yes, I realize it's already past midseason...I'm a bit behind haha).

Just to prove how far behind I am, I'm still slowly making my way through Season Two of Daredevil.

Now also need to check out the new season of Doctor Who. :)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Bret

I hate 24 after the second season because the writers forgot their own concept. Jack Bauer gets stabbed in the shoulder and loses a lot of blood at about 1:15, then by 3:30 his shoulder and arm are both good as new. Huh???

Remember that season where he kicked his heroin addiction in something like four hours?

rollntider

Daredevil Season 2 was pretty good. It has a few meh episodes, but overall pretty damn nice.

I enjoyed Luke Cage also.

TheNorm

Quote from: Bret on April 17, 2017, 03:06:12 PM
I hate 24 after the second season because the writers forgot their own concept. Jack Bauer gets stabbed in the shoulder and loses a lot of blood at about 1:15, then by 3:30 his shoulder and arm are both good as new. Huh???

Remember that season where he kicked his heroin addiction in something like four hours?

Yeah, I didn't really let the LOLWTF moments take away from the show for me too much. The story and the character is what drew me in.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: Bret on April 17, 2017, 03:06:12 PM

youre oversimplifying 24 IMO but I get your point and Im with norm, and besides, isnt that tv? the wounded just for wounded sake of main characters.
The ubiquitous graze or through and through is laughable, and as noted, recovery times are amazing. I think it was Blacklist, main character gets his leg obliterated, not just a simple slug, but demolished, but yet, here he goes, not even a limp.

Back to 24, Seasons 1-4 were really well done. Season 5 is a favorite among fans too, but to me it felt like they had so much success they felt they had to increase the drama by amping up the action which meant more scenarios that werent fleshed out before putting them on screen. I always did really like the backstories though, extremely well done there.
The new 24, I gave it a chance and was rather meh about the formula. Wasnt bad, wasnt great but I havent been back.
Also abandoned Blacklist and Blindspot, paint by numbers tv.

Re: Mr. Robot; I know after I watched season 2 there was no season 3 yet and that was last year so maybe 3 has aired? or maybe due this fall? Not sure.
incidentally, Im out of shows now while waiting for S5 of the Americans to finish in the meantime Im spinning the office again till I find something else.
Ive already gone through The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield and Deadwood again too so theres no falling back there. Somebody mentioned Vikings to me, or something similar...anyone recommned that or anything else?

TheNorm

Not the typical genre mentioned here, but Master of None on Netflix was pretty damn good. Raced through both seasons pretty quickly.

thaima1shu

Quote from: TheNorm on May 26, 2017, 09:31:27 AM
Not the typical genre mentioned here, but Master of None on Netflix was pretty damn good. Raced through both seasons pretty quickly.

Absolutely loved season 1. Planning on watching season 2 on a long flight coming up this weekend. Can't wait.

Crewe

I see that on NF but for some reason never gave it a thought, maybe I will now. Thanks

TheNorm

Quote from: thaima1shu on May 26, 2017, 11:58:34 AM

Absolutely loved season 1. Planning on watching season 2 on a long flight coming up this weekend. Can't wait.

Yeah, let me know what you think when you finish-couldn't stop watching.

BojackHorsefella

I finally watched Breaking Bad and Mad Men within the past year. Worthy of all the acclaim.

Now we're watching Better Call Saul.

If you want something you can stream, Black Mirror on Netflix is amazing. Also, if you missed it during it's first season, Westworld on HBO is great.