30 days of movies challenge

Started by Crewe, March 08, 2018, 11:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Day 14
A favorite black and white film

Ill go with Psycho, always been a favorite

BojackHorsefella

Can't say I've seen that many. Sleeper, Ed Wood, and Young Frankenstein might genuinely be it, unless I'm forgetting something (Schlinder's List).

But yeah, I think I'm going to go with Ed Wood on this one. Really tough to not choose Young Frankenstein, but I've always had issues with the third act of that movie not quite living up to the rest. Ed Wood, however, is solid throughout and just such a great performance by all involved.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on March 21, 2018, 12:02:07 PM
Day 14

Psycho is a damn good one...never seen Ed Wood. Young Frankenstein is great.
Gonna go with Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, even though lately it's not as humorous as it used to be. Something about a brain-addled madman being in charge of a nuclear weapons arsenal and whatnot.
This is easily Kubrick's best work.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on March 20, 2018, 09:24:40 AM
Quote from: rollntider on March 20, 2018, 12:12:28 AM

Day 12
A film you were sure you would hate but ended up liking

Inglorious bastards

That kinda surprises me. Interesting.

Day 13
A movie you will watch anytime you see it on tv, even if not from the start

Im sure we all have more than one, but Ill begin with My Cousin Vinny.

Tarantino movies have been hit or miss for me. Pulp fiction my choice for day 13 for example. Kill Bill? meh. Did not like Django.  I went into Bastards thinking it was going to be drivel and loved it.

cflnut

Day 14

This is a toss up between Schlinder's List and The Longest Day. So I'm just gonna say both of them since I really can't decide between the two of them.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

Day 14

Wizard of Oz. I think it still holds up as old as it is.

thaima1shu

Alright y'all, time to play some catch-up:

Day 1
A movie you are embarrassed to admit you like.

Uhhhh maybe Mean Girls? Not sure I'm really embarrassed about that one though. Can't think of a good one for this.

Day 2
An actor/actress whose movie you will see regardless of negative reviews

I'll watch just about anything that Tom Hardy's in.

Day 3
A film that made you a fan of the director

My answer probably would've been the same as Norm's, it was The Prestige for me that really made me a huge fan of Christopher Nolan. I did actually watch Memento though :) Otherwise I would say recently, Get Out has made me a huge fan of Jordan Peele (and also made me take him more seriously). That has easily skyrocketed up to one of my favorite movies of all time and hit so many of the right notes for me and my friends.

Day 4
A popular movie of any era that you consider overrated

Not sure if this one is a super popular one, but Gran Torino for me. I'd always heard how good it was but I thought it was terrible. Some truly terrible and cringe-worthy acting, even when taking into account that many of them weren't actually actors.

Day 5
An emotional scene (could be tense, sad death, love scene etc...)

The opening of Up always gets to me. Bah, that damn music. Honorary mentions for the ending scenes in Coco and Paddington 2.

Day 6
A relatively unknown film you always recommend

The Nice Guys. Absolutely love this movie and think it's brilliantly written and funny all the way around. Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling work together tremendously well in this.

Day 7
A film that represents a genre you don't normally like

I usually hate musicals, but La La Land is easily one of my favorite movies. I love all the music from it and am a big fan of both Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. It resulted in a pretty great mix and I still listen to the soundtrack frequently.

Day 8
Your favorite "based on a true story" film

Does 300 count? Whatever, don't care. Definitely 300.

Day 9
Your most oft quoted movie

Anchorman for sure. I'm constantly in a glass cage of emotion!

Day 10
Favorite western

Can't say I watch a lot of westerns. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly probably stands out.

Day 11
Most disturbing film

Old Boy (the original Korean version). It's just so messed up what happens to this guy.

Day 12
A film you were sure you would hate but ended up liking

Mentioned it earlier in the thread when Buc brought it up, but it was Paddington for me.

Day 13
A movie you will watch anytime you see it on tv, even if not from the start

Any of the Harry Potter movies. Some are better than others but for the most part, it's the easiest thing that I can constantly re-watch over and over again.

Day 14

Definitely Schindler's List.

TheNorm

Helluva list so far, thai. La La Land was incredible, agree with you about the soundtrack...but man, that ending.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Young Frankenstein is another fave too.

Tider, I can understand that.

Thai, good to see you here!
Re: Gran Torino; Eastwood is known for using non actors, especially here, and I agree, to an extent. yes there were some cringeworthy scenes but at the same time, Eastwood's character was quite compelling and I really enjoyed the story. Basically, I agree with you on the actors, but I disagree that it was a terrible movie.
Props for Good, Bad and Ugly.....and yes, 300 counts! lol
:D

Crewe

Day 15
Most thought provoking/profound movie

This topic could spawn 100 different directions, but lets try.

As with many of these topics, I have quite a few options and my answer would probably change depending on what day you ask me, but for today, Im going with Interstellar.

BojackHorsefella

Well shit, I already chose Mother!

So, I'll go with a different Darren Aronofsky movie and, perhaps, my favorite movie of all-time: The Fountain.

Granted, I see the movie now as fairly straightforward, but that's my own interpretation of it. You may watch it and feel differently, but in my mind, the movie is one large metaphor. It also, however, discusses the topic of death without the typical tropes that go along with that. Rachel Weiz does a really great job as Hugh Jackman's terminally ill wife, and the direction the story goes ends on a positive note, which, I must say, does not jive with my personal view of death which is perhaps one of the reasons I find this movie so fascinating (my #1 fear is death).

So yeah, The Fountain.

TheNorm

thaima1shu

Day 15

Inception was one of the first ones that came to mind for me as well. Otherwise, I would say The Matrix.

rollntider

Day 15

All good choices above.

Momento, Butterfly Effect, Shawshank, green mile, Fight Club,all came to mind like the ones mentioned above, but I would go with Shutter Island.

cflnut

Day 15

Ghost in the Shell.

Not the live action Hollywood version, as I haven't seen it. But the original 1995 Japanese animated version.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.