Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Great idea...
From the years in which I grew up eh?

Well...
Runnin with the devil - Van Halen (This album was the one that made me ditch country music)
Hells Bells - ACDC
Another Brick in the Wall Part II - Pink Floyd (Really The Wall)
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac (Any Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac basically)
Refugee - Tom Petty

cflnut

Top 5 favorite songs from the decade you grew up in:

Master of Puppets - Metallica
Rooster - Alice in Chains
Miles Jam - Rollins Band
Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter - Iron Maiden
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

TheNorm

Top 5 for today: songs you could listen to over and over again without getting sick of it

1. Toad the Wet Sprocket - All I Want
2. Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
3. The Eagles - Take It Easy
4. The Killers - Mr. Brightside
5. Earth, Wind,  & Fire - September
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on April 10, 2018, 04:21:15 PM
Top 5 for today: songs you could listen to over and over again without getting sick of it

1. Toad the Wet Sprocket - All I Want
2. Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
3. The Eagles - Take It Easy
4. The Killers - Mr. Brightside
5. Earth, Wind,  & Fire - September

Ooo, good one. In no particular order:

Foo Fighters - Everlong (acoustic, from Skin and Bones).

Catfish and the Bottlemen - 7 (also prefer the acoustic version, will accept either though)

Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been

Clint Mansell - Together We Will Live Forever (an instrumental track from The Fountain soundtrack)

Airborne Toxic Event - The Graveyard Near The House

Crewe

over and over you say?

1 You never even called me by my name lol - David Allen Coe
Great sing along
2 Spoonful - Howlin Wolf
Just a mesmerizing tune. This is one guy whose nickname truly represents his singing style
3 Machine Gun - Hendrix / Band of Gypsies
Simply Hendrix
4 Saturday Night Special - Skynyrd
This has an overplayed stigma to it but it such a relatable fantastic story and its true lol
5 Gimmie Shelter - Rolling Stones
That backup singer, Merry Clayton, jeebus man, might be the greatest back up of all time. Listen to the isolated track of her singing.
*edit -sounds awful pretentious to say best ever, so I retract that statement. Plus with Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd looming, hard to say best ever lol

TheNorm

Kind of surprised this hasn't been done yet, but: Top 5 favorite covers of songs.

...and go.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

I think I know 5, and if I thought they were crap I wouldn't bother posting, but I don't. So here we go. As usual, no particular order:

Pearl Jam (or possibly just Eddie Vedder)- Reign Over Me, originally by The Who.

Jack White - Love is Blindness, originally by U2

Saul Williams - Bloody Sunday, originally by U2 (the weird thing about these last 2 is that i don't like U2, neither overall or their original versions.

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World, originally by David Bowie

A Perfect Circle - Imagine, originally by John Lennon

Crewe

Im with ya on the man who sold the world, great version.
I like Vedder's version of Reign over me, but to me, Daltry's version just has more soul. Still good though.

Also in random order except for number one:

I Love Rock n Roll
Cover - Joan Jett
Original - The Arrows
Nothing really wrong with the original except it doesn't scream rock n roll. The Arrows had a good harmony on the backgrounds, but Jett, with her gutter roll style just buried their version.

Dont Be Cruel
Cover - Cheap Trick
Original - Elvis
If you're going to tackle the King, this is one successful way to do it, in my opinion. Cheap Trick upgrades the style to rock n roll, but keeps that novelty type early rock veneer to the song, sorta still playful. making it their own while still staying true to the original.

Hazy Shade of Winter
Cover - Bangles
Original - Simon and Garfunkel
This is one where I still like both versions. The Bangles upped the folksy tone and made a few minor changes, not really better or worse, just different.

With a little help from my friends
Cover - Joe Cocker
Original - The Beatles
I mean, I know its The Beatles, but Ringo? Cmon, This will forever be a Joe Cocker song symbolic with Woodstock.

All Along the Watchtower
Cover - Hendrix
Original - Dylan
Jimi changed the arrangement, really turning this song inside out from Bob Dylan's version. If you've never heard the original you should give it a listen just to try to tie in to what Hendrix heard and his vision of the song. it really is remarkable.
Ive always loved this quote by Dylan about the Hendrix version and if this isn't a tribute, I dont know what else could be.
"Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way. I liked Hendrix's record, and ever since he died, I've been doing it that way."

cflnut

In no particular order

Live and Let Die - Guns & Roses Original by Paul McCartney and Wings

Symphony of the Devil - Guns & Roses Original by the Rolling Stones

Tweeter an the Monkey Man - The Headstones Original by the Traveling Wilburys

Oops I did it again - Children Of Bodom Original by Britney Spears

Ace of Spades - Drain STH - Original by Motörhead

Crewe

Quote from: cflnut on April 15, 2018, 08:24:18 PM
In no particular order

I liked the GnR cover of Live n Let die as well as Knocking on Heavens Door...not better than Dylans IMO but a good listen for sure.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on April 15, 2018, 07:53:16 PM
Im with ya on the man who sold the world, great version.
I like Vedder's version of Reign over me, but to me, Daltry's version just has more soul. Still good though.

Also in random order except for number one:

I Love Rock n Roll
Cover - Joan Jett
Original - The Arrows
Nothing really wrong with the original except it doesn't scream rock n roll. The Arrows had a good harmony on the backgrounds, but Jett, with her gutter roll style just buried their version.

Dont Be Cruel
Cover - Cheap Trick
Original - Elvis
If you're going to tackle the King, this is one successful way to do it, in my opinion. Cheap Trick upgrades the style to rock n roll, but keeps that novelty type early rock veneer to the song, sorta still playful. making it their own while still staying true to the original.

Hazy Shade of Winter
Cover - Bangles
Original - Simon and Garfunkel
This is one where I still like both versions. The Bangles upped the folksy tone and made a few minor changes, not really better or worse, just different.

With a little help from my friends
Cover - Joe Cocker
Original - The Beatles
I mean, I know its The Beatles, but Ringo? Cmon, This will forever be a Joe Cocker song symbolic with Woodstock.

All Along the Watchtower
Cover - Hendrix
Original - Dylan
Jimi changed the arrangement, really turning this song inside out from Bob Dylan's version. If you've never heard the original you should give it a listen just to try to tie in to what Hendrix heard and his vision of the song. it really is remarkable.
Ive always loved this quote by Dylan about the Hendrix version and if this isn't a tribute, I dont know what else could be.
"Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way. I liked Hendrix's record, and ever since he died, I've been doing it that way."

Agree with this list

rollntider

Top 5 covers

Knocking on Heavens door - GNR / Bob Dylan
Small Hours - Metallica / Holocaust
Whiskey in the Jar - Metallica / Thin lizzy
46 and 2 - Okeefe Music foundation (bunch o Kids) / Tool (do yourself a favor and listen)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKLvYGqaC0

Mechanix- Megadeth this isnt a cover per se but its megadeths version of 4 horseman by metallica. Since Mustaine wrote part of that song, he has rights to the music and made his own version.

Edited because i put the wrong word in for the title lol

cflnut

Quote from: Crewe on April 15, 2018, 09:21:04 PM
Quote from: cflnut on April 15, 2018, 08:24:18 PM
In no particular order

I liked the GnR cover of Live n Let die as well as Knocking on Heavens Door...not better than Dylans IMO but a good listen for sure.

I agree with you on Knocking on Heavens Door, GnR did a decent rendition of it [Not good enough to make a top 5 IMO] but still decent. However, Bob Dylans is still the best.
It's like Stairway to Heaven the original Led Zeppelin is the best version, no cover seems to be able to do it justice.

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on April 16, 2018, 10:52:54 AM
Whiskey in the Jar - Metallica / Thin lizzy

Wow, good call!

Quote from: cflnut on April 16, 2018, 10:56:10 AM

I agree with you on Knocking on Heavens Door, GnR did a decent rendition of it [Not good enough to make a top 5 IMO] but still decent. However, Bob Dylans is still the best.
It's like Stairway to Heaven the original Led Zeppelin is the best version, no cover seems to be able to do it justice.

Well said, I agree

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: rollntider on April 16, 2018, 10:52:54 AM
46 and 2 - Okeefe Music foundation (bunch o Kids) / Tool (do yourself a favor and listen)

I've only heard the TOOL version, didn't realize it was a cover.

Their cover of No Quarter is also really good.