30 days of movies challenge

Started by Crewe, March 08, 2018, 11:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

geez how oh how did I forget Rocky Horror?! I am embarrassed

cflnut

Quote from: Crewe on April 03, 2018, 12:56:53 PM
geez how oh how did I forget Rocky Horror?! I am embarrassed

Possibly cause It's thought of as more of a comedy then a musical.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on April 03, 2018, 12:11:01 PM
Day 26
Favorite musical

Im not a big fan of musicals and really the only one I can think of that would qualify that I liked would be Grease

Musicals ...not a fan.... but I did enjoy Grease, and my choice, nightmare before Xmas.

Changing my choice to Dr. Horrible's sing along blog.... I see that now it is considered a mini series, but when i watched it, it was a movie?

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: rollntider on April 03, 2018, 01:47:20 PM
Musicals ...not a fan.... but I did enjoy Grease, and my choice, nightmare before Xmas.

Changing my choice to Dr. Horrible's sing along blog.... I see that now it is considered a mini series, but when i watched it, it was a movie?

It was originally released in episodes via Joss Whedon's website, I think? Either way, it was originally released as like, 4 or 6 episodes, but by now yeah, you can just watch them all as one cohesive movie.

thaima1shu

Day 26
Favorite Musical

Already used this for a previous answer but it's definitely La La Land for me.

TheNorm

Day 26
Favorite musical

Singin' In the Rain for me. Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds were fun to watch.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Day 27
A film you like that launched an actor/actresses career

I usually think of Tom Hanks in Bachelor Party, although it showcased his talents I doubt that film was ever highly touted. Edward Norton in Primal Fear was another, but Ill go with Tom Cruise in Risky Business. Good film, and of course, Guido the killer pimp.

BojackHorsefella

Gonna go with an extremely easy one here and say X-Men and Hugh Jackman.

A quick IMDB search he wasn't up to much on the Hollywood side of things (I can't speak for whatever he may have done down under), outside of a few TV appearances. Then he got the role of Wolverine and, as they say, the rest is history.

TheNorm

Day 27

Mr. Mom and Michael Keaton.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on April 04, 2018, 01:28:22 PM
Day 27

Almost went with "Beetlejuice" for Michael Keaton, then I remembered Mr. Mom existed and I haven't seen it.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on April 04, 2018, 01:28:22 PM
Day 27

220 221, whatever it takes

rollntider

Can I cheat and say a career rebirth?

Iron man - Robert Downey Jr.  His career was in the shitter until then

cflnut

Day 27

Harrison Ford, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Where as this did come out after American Graffiti & Star Wars episode 4 & 5 , Raiders was his first true leading role and showed that he could carry a film as the main character.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

Day 28
A film that was a staple in your era you wish the previous generation would "get"

A for instance here is me not really seeing the attraction of Superbad or 21 Jump Street, not suggesting those films are the nucleus of a generation but it will illustrate my point.

I have a few choices to run with here; Breakfast Club and Risky Business comes to mind, but I think everyone gets those films so Im going with Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke. These guys were pop culture before the John Hughes era took over the Gen X voice.
As an aside, it irritated me when Judd Apatow was anointed the redeemer of the pot films, which is utter bullshit. His films are rom-coms with a guy who occasionally smokes pot. You compare that with Cheech and Chong, its not even close to the same thing, their movies were all about the high. /rant

BojackHorsefella

The previous generation or the following generation? Because your issue with Cheech and Chong seems to be that today's generation doesn't get it