News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

MLB The Show 18

Started by BojackHorsefella, March 09, 2018, 06:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

So I stopped using Guess the Pitch a while ago because the penalty was too much when you guessed wrong, but what I've started doing is guessing fastball high on the first pitch. If I get it, I swing. If I don't, I don't. And if I get ahead 1-0, I guess it again, and any other time I'm ahead in the count.

Definitely getting better pitches to hit using this because it's calmed down my more spaz tendencies at the plate, but where I've really seen improvement is how many walks I'm drawing now.

Crewe

Good for you. I love working the count, and rarely swing at the first pitch.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on May 28, 2018, 10:51:02 AM
Good for you. I love working the count, and rarely swing at the first pitch.

Yeah, you'd mentioned that, and I always look fastball high, but I wasn't using guess the pitch at first so I still found myself swinging aggressively. So guess the pitch has calmed my bat down

Crewe

I agree, and I haven't used GTP in a long long while

BojackHorsefella

So I ended the season with a .202 avg and a .279 obp. 6 games into the post-season I have a .318 avg and .444 obp, so clearly the change is working.

Crewe

how man seasons in is that guy?
I just finished my newest fella with a Mendoza line performance in my first full, but second MLB season.
pretty bad Ace lol

BojackHorsefella

This is year 5. I've posted up above .300 #s in 3 seasons in the minors, but I've had two seasons where I got destroyed by lefties. This year was both lefties and eighties, but moreso lefties.

Crewe

I like lefties. I can see the ball and release cleaner than I can off of righties, unless its a submarine pitcher. I absolutely murder those guys.

BojackHorsefella

I'm the worst against sub-mariners, and lefties I think everything is in the strike zone if they throw inside, just because watching the ball cross the zone.

BojackHorsefella

I had to bump the difficulty down to All-Star in my current season :(

Crewe

haha, Ive made adjustments before too, no worries

BojackHorsefella

I may have to go all the way down to veteran.

What infuriates me is my OBP is over .300, it's not like I'm not selective or not seeing the ball. But, if this game tracked BABIP, that would be in the dumpster. I swear, it's not even ground balls, I just cannot miss OFs when I make contact or it just dies at the edge of the warning track. I don't know what else to do! I have 1 HR after about 40 games or so (if that many. Maybe, like, 32 games).

And, it sucks, because it doesn't matter how far you hit it, if it's not a hit, your power rating doesn't go up. And after a certain point, apparently, you can't even use training to get your contact or power up, you just have to perform in game, and I'm constantly getting robbed. Heaven forbid a liner get past the first or third basemen.

Ugh. I'm frustrated. This is why I don't mind going undefeated every season on Madden. They balance each other out.

Crewe

how old is your guy and what level is he currently?
Ive got one in the minors going through that very scenario. I ended up below the Mendoza line this last season with him. Ill see how he develops and take a look at next season.

BojackHorsefella

23 and he's really not. His cap for contact is 80 and my Contact R is about 75 or so, my Con L is 69. Power is in the high 60s although I have some equipment giving me +8.

Btw, I went and did the math on my 2 seasons in the Majors. Subtract the strikeouts from the at bats and I'm batting over .300 on balls in play. Clearly I didn't realize just HOW MUCH I strikeout.

I'm doing a little better on Veteran right now. I realized I was swinging at fastballs way too late when I was actually locating them.

The biggest problem is just continually fighting that urge to swing away the second I find the ball, no matter where it is or the type of pitch. Curveballs kill me in the zone because I swing too early when sitting fastball.

Crewe

yea K's are a killer. That stinking changeup is the one of my existence. I still try to not look fastball because that pitch wont be thrown for a strike unless you get into a hitters count so that helps me locate the breaking balls and offspeed stuff, sans that blasted changeup lol

if I lay off a while, it takes me a long time of playing to get back in the groove and find the timing again.