News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Cord cutting

Started by Crewe, March 18, 2018, 10:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

I did it Crewe. I went to Hulu+. I wanted to cry when I opened up PS Vue, not thinking about it.

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on January 22, 2020, 12:05:31 AM
I have no OTA and PSVue will be out of service on the 30th.
I have to find a way to watch the Super Bowl, the only one in some time Ive really wanted to see lol Go figure.
Ive already run the trail on YTTV and Sling so no more freebies.
Watching sports on Sling in the past was tough because of the moire and blur. Any ideas on other services?
Where els will it be shown?

It is usually shown on the site of whatever channel is broadcasting it I believe.  Not the best option but better than nothing i suppose.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 30, 2020, 11:28:09 PM
I did it Crewe. I went to Hulu+. I wanted to cry when I opened up PS Vue, not thinking about it.

lol yea, Im without right now

Crewe

I went with YTTV. After a month, Ill probably cancel, but we shall see.

rollntider

Sorry i didnt see this before Crewe, but Fox sports app on Roku aired the super bowl for free. Not fox sports go. 

I have used youtube tv and was happy with it.

Crewe

yea I like it well enough. I just dont watch a lot of regular tv. Only reason I had Vue was for football season.
Since I cant watch Astros regularly, I probably won't keep YTTV, but I love the fact that you can cancel and resign on all of these apps with a click instead of having to deal with AT&T or Comcast customer service for hours on end.

Get it.
Watch it.
Cancel it.

Want it back?
Re up.

BojackHorsefella

Signed up for HBO Max, mainly for the Studio Ghibli movies (although the curated anime selection from Crunchyroll is also a reason). Sucks it doesn't work on Fire Stick yet, and for those with Roku apparently it's also not compatible yet. Works fine on PS4 and my phone, though.

Basically takes the place of HBO Now, with all of the added content of Max.

Crewe

Never heard of it I dont think lol
How much is it? Free trial?
Since there are no sports right now, I canceled YTTV a while back and am running on NF and Prime.
And Im majorly psissed right now because Cheers is being taken off of NF. Not by them but because its going to the NBC app.
Im afraid that going to be the next thing, Streaming services losing shows who are reigned in by the broadcast companies that own the shows.

All in all though, I kinda like where we are right now with cord cutting. yea, you can stack up monthly services, but if you have a good main service, you can add little offshoot ones for 5-10-15 month and get everything you need while still coming in under the ridiculous cable offerings.
Not to mention, signing up and canceling at the click of a button with no contracts? Not having to set aside an entire freaking day to argue with your cable provider just to cancel a service?
They can alll GF as far as Im concerned.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, I'm in a good spot. I signed up for HBO Max, I've been on the free Disney+ trial and I'm thinking of dropping that (hoping my brother will pick it up for his girls and I can leech off him, admittedly, but I honestly never really use it) and have Netflix through the fiancee's dad. I switched to Hulu for live TV when PS Vue died, so I've got all the Hulu stuff.

And yeah, not having any contracts is a huge plus, even with all the nickel and diming. Funnily enough, since I have Comcast internet (and internet only with them), apparently you get an included subscription (no extra charge) to that new NBC Peacock streaming service. My buddy who I used to work with at the Comcast store let me know, and just sent me the stuff to set it up, which is great, because that means I won't have to buy The Office when it leaves Netflix, hahaha

rollntider

I use netflix and Hulu and Disney + and CBS all access

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on May 27, 2020, 06:08:32 PM
Yeah, I'm in a good spot. I signed up for HBO Max, I've been on the free Disney+ trial and I'm thinking of dropping that (hoping my brother will pick it up for his girls and I can leech off him, admittedly, but I honestly never really use it) and have Netflix through the fiancee's dad. I switched to Hulu for live TV when PS Vue died, so I've got all the Hulu stuff.

And yeah, not having any contracts is a huge plus, even with all the nickel and diming. Funnily enough, since I have Comcast internet (and internet only with them), apparently you get an included subscription (no extra charge) to that new NBC Peacock streaming service. My buddy who I used to work with at the Comcast store let me know, and just sent me the stuff to set it up, which is great, because that means I won't have to buy The Office when it leaves Netflix, hahaha

I used to like you

TheNorm

I also signed up for HBO Max since they had a deal for $11.99/mo the first year. Finding out Fresh Prince and Doctor Who was available to stream immediately made my day, and I'll have West Wing too when it leaves Netflix and jumps to this later this year.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Oh shoot, didn't even realize Doctor Who was part of it. Hope they have the latest season, started watching on BBC but lost that channel when Vue died and I switched to Hulu.

Edit: they don't :(

Crewe

So whaddya know, I get HBOMAX for free through my phone plan

Crewe

So does anyone else feel that a la carte is trending back to cable situations?
Service keep adding channels and increasing prices which is exactly what caused this crusade in the first place.
I still love the fact it is no contracts and you can come and go as you please with just a click instead of a two hour war with retentions services at ATT or whomever.
I cut off YTTV at the beginning of the pandemic but now that they have boosted prices, I doubt Ill go back.