News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Guess the Year

Started by BojackHorsefella, January 23, 2019, 04:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

The 90's I followed the NFL pretty close, the 80's just a little bit so any 90's I should get. Anything else is a guess for the most part

BojackHorsefella

SACKS LEADERS!!!!!!!!

As per usual, both team locations and division alignment is accurate to the year these stats were recorded in:

Doug Martin – MIN
Dan Hampton – CHI
Al Baker – DET
Dave Stalls – TAM
Ezra Johnson - GB

Dennis Harrison – PHI
Harvey Martin – DAL
Lawrence Taylor – NYG
Dexter Manley/Tony McGee – WAS
Curtis Greer – STL CARDINALS

Bruce Clark – NO
Mike Fanning – LAR (N)
Fred Dean – SF
Don Smith - ATL

Jesse Baker – HOU
Tom Beasley/Gary Dunn – PIT
Eddie Edwards – CIN
Chip Banks - CLE

Lyle Alzado – LAR (A)
Barney Chavous – DEN
Keith Ferguson – SD
Art Still – KC
Jeff Bryant - SEA

Mark Gastineau – NYJ
Don Blackmon – NE
Bob Brudzinski – MIA
Sherman White/Ben Williams – BUF
Leo Wisniewski - IND

Crewe

oh I got this one, 1982!
Mark Gastineau with his stupid sack dance, Dana Hampton and the 46, Harvey Martin and LT's rookie season all in the same year.

TheNorm

I was gonna say 1983 but Crewe's so confident I'll roll with 1982 lol
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

I have no idea, so I am gonna steal Norm's 1983 guess. Just to be different :)

Rigg44

Its 1982.  Tony Mcgee and Dexter Mannly tied for sacks in Washington make it a done deal. I never liked Mcgee and neither had a good year that year. 

BojackHorsefella

Well, that's the usual 4 suspects, so I guess I should reveal:

It's 1982!

You all basically got it right, although I appreciate Tider's attempt to make it interesting by being purposefully different, but Crewe's confidence was not misplaced.

Rigg coming in with the solid logic, too.

Crewe

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on February 22, 2019, 01:30:23 PM
Well, that's the usual 4 suspects, so I guess I should reveal:

It's 1982!

You all basically got it right, although I appreciate Tider's attempt to make it interesting by being purposefully different, but Crewe's confidence was not misplaced.

Rigg coming in with the solid logic, too.

well it was early 80's NFL so I really had no idea. Lyle Alzado pointed me to the early 80's though :)

BojackHorsefella

I have come to stump all of you.

These are the kickers with the most field goals made for each of their respective teams. It is your job to guess the year based on the players, team locations, and division standings which are all accurate per the year. Fun fact, hopefully I'm not setting myself up for failure here, but: Fred Steinfort, who made all of one field goal in 6 tries with Buffalo, was either traded (unlikely) or cut and then signed by New England (more likely). I tried to see which it was, but man, I've never seen a more barren wikipedia page.

Ali Haji-Sheikh – NYG
Mark Moseley – WAS
Rafael Septien – DAL
Neil O'Donoghue – STL
Tony Franklin - PHI

Raul Allegre – BAL
Uwe von Schamann – MIA
Pat Leahy – NYJ
Joe Danelo – BUF
Fred Steinfort - NE

Gary Anderson – PIT
Matt Bahr – CLE
Florian Kempf – HOU
Jim Breech - CIN

Benny Ricardo – MIN
Eddie Murray – DET
Jan Stenerud – GB
Bob Thomas – CHI
Bill Capece - TAM

Ray Wersching – SF
Morton Anderson – NO
Mick Luckhurst – ATL
Mike Lansford - LAR

Nick Lowery – KC
Chris Bahr – LAR
Rich Karlis – DEN
Norm Johnson – SEA
Rolf Benirschke - SD

Crewe

ok this one is a little tougher, but!
I distinctly remember barefoot kickers Rich Karlis and Tony Franklin, always amazed me seeing them kick in a blizzard with no flipping shoe.
Kempf with the Oilers which was short lived, along with legend Gary Anderson and his stupid single bar facemark which I always hated lol
Moseley, Morten Anderson and Wersching...all blasts from the past.
Ill preface my guess with this; Im thinking you're trying to pull a fast one having the last post and this one be the same year so Im guessing 1982 ;-)
Initially I was thinking 80-81 but can't recall when some of these guys were in the league.

TheNorm

Ali Haji-Sheikh is gonna be the key for me, because Eddie Murray for the Lions can't be since he played quite a few seasons here. I remember Haji-Sheikh though because he played college ball at the University of Michigan, and his name typically pops up here as one of the all-time kickers. :)

Since his senior year was 1982, I'm gonna guess 1983 for this one. I know his NFL career didn't pan out as well outside of a season or two, so I'm hoping his rookie campaign was the one he did great in.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

dang, then if its 83, my initial 80 would be off a bit lol

Rigg44

I am going to say 83 because of Mosely but he was there for awhile so it honestly could be anything between 80 and 85.

BojackHorsefella

Oh, man, I never responded to this!

Ding ding ding, 83 it is! Man, I underestimated you guys. I'll have to try harder next time.