News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2018 College Football Thread

Started by TheNorm, February 17, 2018, 11:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on December 05, 2018, 11:36:47 AM
He should've gotten fired months ago for protecting an abuser on his staff and then lying about it to investigators that didn't have the guts to call him out on it because he won a championship for the university. Fuck him and fuck anyone that protected him. Hell of a coach but one detestable human being and a scumbag.

But this time he's retired for sure, for "health reasons" (again). He'll spend time with his family, just like he did when he left Florida and spent so much more time with his family at ESPN.

So naturally, he'll be back coaching somewhere by 2020 because after all the bullshit he's said in the past why the hell would anyone believe what he's got to say now?

I agree, when he was caught lying he should have been fired. But they got their due with that bad loss  lol. To be honest I thought Kelly would have Notre Dame a dumpster fire by now, and Meyer would have moved into that job soon.

Thai brings up a good point, Helton got an extra year, they probably said lets play the Urban lottery and looks like the likely choice.

rollntider

How do you guys see the playoffs shaping up? Me I am nervous of OU for several reasons, the spread that they run, they run with perfection. Our DB's can be had on pass plays and our LB play is not what it has been under Saban.   

On the other hand Big 12 isnt known great defense (this 2018 Bama defense is not great, its above average at best) I watched Mack Wilson let the TE or G seal him off from plays (vs UGA) that other Saban players would have went for the carrier and stuffed a run.  OU's Defense can be had they let plenty of teams score points and looks like we may have to win a shoot out. 

If Tua is healthy I like our chances, Jalen is improved, and God bless him for winning that game for us last week, but of the teams we have to face, OU is the one I feared lol.

Clemson gets a bye and faces the winner of Bama/OU.

rollntider

https://twitter.com/Brutus_Buckeye/status/1071132739628396544

I found this quite funny considering this was from Ohio State lol

I think Kyler Murry wins it because of Tua played on a bad leg in the SEC and could not perform to his normal play. Kyler played great all season long even though he could not get the lead for his team big enough so he could rest. And  unlike Kyler and Haskins he didn't lose a game to a lower ranked or unranked team. ;)

All in all nice job by ohio state, this is what college football is about.

rollntider

Kansas State hired Chris Klieman from North Dakota State to be the head coach.
Maryland Hires Bama OC Mike Locksley.

TheNorm

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on December 19, 2018, 09:04:06 AM
SUCK IT YOU BUNCH OF WANNABE THIEVES 🖕🏽🖕🏽💛💙

https://twitter.com/tremendousum/status/1075380543703998464

Fair enough, Bama took an Ohio State commit instead. lol

TheNorm

Did Houston know there was a game today? Lol
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

TheNorm

LMAO at Georgia fans thinking they belonged in the CFB Playoff over Notre Dame.

As much as I despise ND (lol fuck the Irish)...don't have two losses, bitches.

TheNorm

...and don't even come at me with those UCF idiots either. Play someone, and play in a conference that matters. Piss off.

Is Alabama wearing "SEC Graduate" patches? That's cool...definitely should highlight something that happens so rarely from schools down there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
😈

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on December 29, 2018, 08:36:38 PM
...and don't even come at me with those UCF idiots either. Play someone, and play in a conference that matters. Piss off.

Is Alabama wearing "SEC Graduate" patches? That's cool...definitely should highlight something that happens so rarely from schools down there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
😈

ooooh throwing shade

https://thespun.com/independents/notre-dame-fighting-irish/heres-college-footballs-top-25-in-order-of-graduation-rate

#4 in the nation  :D

rollntider

Now my rant why does Notre Dame get invited to the playoffs? They were only slightly better than Michigan state and Ohio State embarrassments.

Why do I think Notre Dame was a terrible choice for the playoffs?

Notre Dame 24 Ball State 16 (4-8)
Notre Dame 22 Vandy 17 (Hat tip to the refs for that game) (6-7)
Notre Dame 19 Pitt 14  (7-6)
Notre Dame 24 USC 17 (5-7)

The only impressive win was Syracuse and maybe Stanford.

People are talking about extending the playoffs to 8 teams? We have a hard time finding 4 good teams. Notre Dame with the 3rd worst playoff appearance.

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on December 30, 2018, 12:27:18 AM
Quote from: TheNorm on December 29, 2018, 08:36:38 PM

😈

ooooh throwing shade

https://thespun.com/independents/notre-dame-fighting-irish/heres-college-footballs-top-25-in-order-of-graduation-rate

#4 in the nation  :D

It's what I do four beers in. :D
Also, that article's from 2015. Here, let's go with something a bit more recent. :)

https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/gsrsearch

You can search there since it doesn't look like anyone's put together an aggregate list yet (at least none that I could find half a cup of coffee into my morning).  8)

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on December 30, 2018, 12:51:18 AM
Now my rant why does Notre Dame get invited to the playoffs? They were only slightly better than Michigan state and Ohio State embarrassments.

Why do I think Notre Dame was a terrible choice for the playoffs?

Notre Dame 24 Ball State 16 (4-8)
Notre Dame 22 Vandy 17 (Hat tip to the refs for that game) (6-7)
Notre Dame 19 Pitt 14  (7-6)
Notre Dame 24 USC 17 (5-7)

The only impressive win was Syracuse and maybe Stanford.

People are talking about extending the playoffs to 8 teams? We have a hard time finding 4 good teams. Notre Dame with the 3rd worst playoff appearance.

Ugh. Yeah, ND gets preferential treatment because they're ND, the last independent holdout and they're college football's little special baby. Fuck 'em, can't stand 'em.
That being said...going by committee parameters who was better? Georgia: Two losses is a non-starter, thank u, next.
Ohio State: Purdue just scored again.
UCF: FOH.
ND got in because they finished 12-0, plus the other stuff above. Silver lining: I got to see Notre Dame get lit up like Nakatomi Tower on Christmas Eve yesterday, and it was enjoyable.

I'm really not into blaming the committee for something that's pretty obvious: Alabama and Clemson are light years ahead of everyone else this season, and it wouldn't have mattered who you threw into the 3 and 4 spots because the results ultimately would've been the same.

TheNorm

So yeah...can't say I saw that game playing out the way it did (to be fair, I didn't see it at all, I'm at work). Sorry tider.

Really didn't think Clemson had much of a shot with those players suspended, but turns out it didn't make a difference. That was a beatdown.