UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on October 19, 2018, 04:44:24 PM
I dont go to the theatre much but am really considering this and Halloween

I've got the AMC Stubs A-List, so I pay $20 a month and can see 3 movies a week for free (and, unlike the dying MoviePass, which I loved, this lets me order my seats online and see Dolby or IMAX at no extra cost). Saw First Man and El Royale last week, seeing The Hate U Give today, Old Man and the Gun tomorrow and Halloween on Sunday.

Haven't heard great things about Halloween, but, oh well. The soundtrack is enough for me to enjoy it as a whole, haha.

Crewe

Ive heard good things about it. I dont expect to be bowled over but Im cautiously optimistic

Crewe

Can I just reiterate that Disney is killing the SW franchise by saturating us with films?
Just read a Bobba Fett film was nixed, and thank goodness for that.

BojackHorsefella

You can thank Solo's bad performance for that, and "The Mandalorian" tv show coming to Disney's streaming service. I agree with you though, nobody needed that movie.

Crewe

I refuse to thank Solo for anything lol
I was against the very idea. Id much rather have seen an Obi Wan film revolving around the Clone Wars if we had to have one.
After they finish up with Rey, they need to move out of the Skywalker franchise.
Hell, venture in to the Old Republic stories

Crewe

Anyone see The Girl in a Spider's Web?

I hate to say this but after seeing the trailer, I'm seriously disappointed.
Lisbeth is now an action hero? Please.
Fincher's Dragon Tattoo was styled much closer to the book's character. This just seems like you could've called this movie generic action movie 4,322.

BojackHorsefella

I think that's how the second book actually went though. More action, almost a superhero "avenging angel" kind of thing, lile Punisher. The movie does look like a Mission Impossible film, with Lisbeth as Ethan and her support as the rest of the IMF.

I just wish the trailer didn't spoil the entire movie, as it appears to do.

Crewe

I didn't read it, but if it did then Im really not interested because that is such a departure from what Larsson's character was in the books and other films.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on November 05, 2018, 12:07:02 PM
I didn't read it, but if it did then Im really not interested because that is such a departure from what Larsson's character was in the books and other films.

So, reading the wiki entry, I now see that this is apparently the FOURTH book, and was not written by Stieg. Although apparently it was received well. Which is a lot of words to say: actually I do not know.

Crewe

yea, he just did the first three, Im not interested much in the others right now.
If you see, read or get an informed opinion that might change mu mind let me know, but Im shelving it in the interim.

BojackHorsefella

https://film.avclub.com/the-girl-in-the-spider-s-web-pits-lisbeth-salander-agai-1830239792

This is one of the few sites whose reviews I trust (the others being io9, who usually only do fantasy or sci-fi movie reviews (or comic book movies), that's sort of their thing, but this may pop up on there. The other being Scott Mendelson, the Forbes movie reviewer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/10/29/review-girl-in-the-spiders-web-claire-foy-lisbeth-salander-jason-bourne-james-bond-batman/#71fdc3942e82

Forgot Scott reviewed it, added the link here.

Crewe

yea A/V Club is about all I follow to.

BojackHorsefella

Got tickets to see it with the fiance on Saturday. Seeing Overlord on Sunday.

TheNorm

Been awhile since I've done this...

Creed II
Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone, Tessa Thompson, Florian Munteanu, Dolph Lundgren, Phylicia Rashad

Steven Caple, Jr. takes over directing duties from Ryan Coogler and delivers a solid follow up to the incredible Creed. The Drago story was a nice touch and well done-really ties in the past with the present, covering what happens to Drago from Rocky IV while making sure it doesn't overpower the story of the sons. This movie also does a nice job of focusing on family and how Adonis has to adjust the limelight and other things. Really enjoyable movie. 4.25 out of 5 stars

Also recently watched Equalizer 2 and Ocean's 8; both were worth checking out but I'm not writing out a review on my 📱, this is a pain lol. 💩 Just go see them.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Creed II definitely on my list. Oceans 8 I wrote off immediately ala the rebooted Ghostbusters. Its really worth checking out?