News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Official 2014 NFL Season Thread

Started by TheNorm, September 07, 2014, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaima1shu

Quote from: Crewe on October 13, 2014, 12:58:51 PM
I was hoping the Cowboys would stay with the Hawks and not embarrass themselves.
Despite trying to give it away, they come away with the unexpected win.
This team is playing well above board and I'm not ready to go all in yet, but I am certainly impressed with Linehan, which I never thought Id say, and Marinelli.
A 9 or 10 win season for this group has to be considered a success.
And FWIW, this is Romo's last productive year, he's hurt too bad

Was very, very impressed by the Cowboys. Truthfully, they embarrassed the Seahawks despite what the score says. It was a thorough domination that wouldn't have been close if it weren't for the special teams turnovers.

Crewe

Quote from: thaima1shu on October 13, 2014, 06:44:57 PM
I was hoping the Cowboys would stay with the Hawks and not embarrass themselves.
This team is playing well above board and I'm not ready to go all in yet, but I am certainly impressed with Linehan, which I never thought Id say, and Marinelli.

Was very, very impressed by the Cowboys. Truthfully, they embarrassed the Seahawks despite what the score says. It was a thorough domination that wouldn't have been close if it weren't for the special teams turnovers.

Yea, those turnover were brutal.
I tell you though, Im really curious to see how Russell Wilson will stack up against HOF QB's in the next 5 years because if he keeps going like he has thus far, man o man.

thaima1shu

Quote from: Crewe on October 13, 2014, 07:59:12 PM
Quote from: thaima1shu on October 13, 2014, 06:44:57 PM

Yea, those turnover were brutal.
I tell you though, Im really curious to see how Russell Wilson will stack up against HOF QB's in the next 5 years because if he keeps going like he has thus far, man o man.

He definitely has accomplished a lot so far and has shown he has the skills to be a great QB. But he has a long, long ways to go still. I think I feel a rant coming.

He honestly has played better his first two years than he has this year. He is great at scrambling to keep plays alive, but at the same time he still bails on the pocket too often. He's not seeing the field very well this season compared to the first two years. He seems to be way too conservative this year. Part of that is the playcalling. This offense was built on the running game and explosive pass plays down the field. Now that Percy is back and healthy, they're trying way too much gimmicky stuff with the fly sweeps and bubble screens. Russell's strength is the deep ball and yet the gameplan isn't really letting him do it much. It's pissing me off.

I think this offense really misses Golden Tate. Norm, hopefully you're enjoying what he brings to the Lions. Golden was always tremendous at making the tough catch down the field. Seattle's current receivers without Tate just aren't good at it. Maybe that's another reason why the passing attack is all sideline to sideline stuff rather than stretching the field like it used to be.

Crewe

I noticed that, and brace yourselves, but I just don't get the hype about Percy. Not just now, but ever.  Just doesn't impress me, but then, I don't see every game of his either.
The scrambling QB's are tough keep in the pocket because they know its a beneficial skill set, but its also the new breed of QB.  This is no longer a fad.  Used to be the Cuningham's et al would never have a chance at a Super Bowl because they were running QB's. RGII, Newton, Luck, Wilson, et al, yea, this hybrid QB is here to stay.  The Bortles prototype of the past will be a rarity.

TheNorm

Quote from: thaima1shu on October 14, 2014, 01:14:31 PM
I think this offense really misses Golden Tate. Norm, hopefully you're enjoying what he brings to the Lions. Golden was always tremendous at making the tough catch down the field. Seattle's current receivers without Tate just aren't good at it. Maybe that's another reason why the passing attack is all sideline to sideline stuff rather than stretching the field like it used to be.

I have to admit: I really didn't think the Lions were getting much by making this signing, and always thought Tate was a bit overrated. Six games into his career here, and it's easy to see I was a bit off in my assessment. He's been solid in the receiving game, especially with Megatron at less than 100%. He's been a hell of a signing so far, and I'd hate to see what the offense would've looked like without him here-Tate's been a stabilizing presence.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Very proud of the Cowboys... I am still in shock that they beat the Hawks.... wow...

thaima1shu

Quote from: Crewe on October 15, 2014, 06:55:46 PM
I noticed that, and brace yourselves, but I just don't get the hype about Percy. Not just now, but ever.  Just doesn't impress me, but then, I don't see every game of his either.
The scrambling QB's are tough keep in the pocket because they know its a beneficial skill set, but its also the new breed of QB.  This is no longer a fad.  Used to be the Cuningham's et al would never have a chance at a Super Bowl because they were running QB's. RGII, Newton, Luck, Wilson, et al, yea, this hybrid QB is here to stay.  The Bortles prototype of the past will be a rarity.

Don't know how I feel about Percy quite yet. I've seen how much of an impact he can make on the game. But it feels like defenses are catching onto what we do with him and Bevell isn't adjusting at all. Just keeps trying to run the same things with him over and over.

The mobile QB thing is definitely interesting. I think the only way it works is if the mobile QB is just as capable as a prototypical pocket passer as well. When you have a very good athlete that can also function just as well as a pocket passer, it makes gameplanning for them a nightmare. Case in point: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/15/nfl-breakdown-peyton-manning-colin-kaepernick/

"At last year's combine, just a few weeks after the Super Bowl, I asked a dozen NFL coaches, Conceptually, who would you rather game-plan for and face: Manning or Kaepernick? A solid majority said they'd prefer to face Manning.

None of those coaches were saying Kaepernick is a better quarterback than Manning, they were just saying he's more stressful to face. Manning might be able to cut a defense with greater depth and regularity than Kaepernick, but at least the defense knows in what ways he can cut them. With Kaepernick, there's a terrifying unpredictability."

thaima1shu

Quote from: TheNorm on October 15, 2014, 10:40:53 PM
I have to admit: I really didn't think the Lions were getting much by making this signing, and always thought Tate was a bit overrated. Six games into his career here, and it's easy to see I was a bit off in my assessment. He's been solid in the receiving game, especially with Megatron at less than 100%. He's been a hell of a signing so far, and I'd hate to see what the offense would've looked like without him here-Tate's been a stabilizing presence.

Golden, much like the rest of the passing game the past two years, was limited simply by the gameplan and the overall success of the team. It's been a run heavy offense combined with an elite defense, which leads to very, very limited opportunities to throw. The passing game was always explosive when given the green light, but without volume there would never be big numbers. Great to see that he's doing well now. I knew he would in that offense.

Crewe

Quote from: thaima1shu on October 16, 2014, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: Crewe on October 15, 2014, 06:55:46 PM

Don't know how I feel about Percy quite yet. I've seen how much of an impact he can make on the game. But it feels like defenses are catching onto what we do with him and Bevell isn't adjusting at all. Just keeps trying to run the same things with him over and over.

The mobile QB thing is definitely interesting. I think the only way it works is if the mobile QB is just as capable as a prototypical pocket passer as well. When you have a very good athlete that can also function just as well as a pocket passer, it makes gameplanning for them a nightmare. Case in point: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/15/nfl-breakdown-peyton-manning-colin-kaepernick/

"At last year's combine, just a few weeks after the Super Bowl, I asked a dozen NFL coaches, Conceptually, who would you rather game-plan for and face: Manning or Kaepernick? A solid majority said they'd prefer to face Manning.

None of those coaches were saying Kaepernick is a better quarterback than Manning, they were just saying he's more stressful to face. Manning might be able to cut a defense with greater depth and regularity than Kaepernick, but at least the defense knows in what ways he can cut them. With Kaepernick, there's a terrifying unpredictability."

I concur and thats what I attempted but failed to iterate.  These QB's have the pocket presence and accuracy but can kill you with the run. Even in the last decade, a scrambling QB didnt instill as much fear as these true dual threat QB's do, IMO anyway.  It's having to guard another weapon with the same number of defenders.

thaima1shu

In today's news that came out of nowhere, the Seahawks have traded Percy Harvin to the Jets for a conditional mid round pick.

TheNorm

So, according to reports (so it's all speculative) it's starting to sound like Percy Harvin's a bit of a douchebag.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/10/18/seahawks-percy-harvin-trade-jets-golden-tate
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Almost every Lions team from the last 50 years loses that game against the Saints today...this team keeps proving me wrong, and I love it. They might very well be legit.  :o

And this makes me laugh more than it should.  ;D

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/10/19/chicago-bears-locker-room-loss-dolphins

Crewe

the media makes me laugh.  It's amazing how they can stretch a one sentence item into a segment.
I also love that term unacceptable in sports. Of course its acceptable.  Whatever is supposedly unacceptable happens, and then nothing happens.

Crewe

So let me address what topic I'm sure ESPN has and will be addressing ad nauseum.
No true Cowboys fan thought for one instant we would win vs Washington last week.
Fans for so long we have seen this song and dance so many times and it always ends the same way.
The obvious points:
-Division game
In all the hype, never did I hear one turd say hey, you know, this IS a division game; throw the record out the window. See what happens when you overlook the obvious?
-Third string QB starting for Washington.
Colt McCoy was and will continue to be an underrated talent.  The guy has skills and is a proven gamer, even in his brief NFL career.  It really surprises me he doesn't have a starting job in the NFL and you can see clearly everyone overlooked him because if he's behind Cousins, how good could he be?
-Cowboy killers
Garcon and Jackson.  Even if they don't have big games, they always, and I mean always have key plays that are back breakers.
-The outta nowhere guy
There's always a guy that breaks out and has a career game against Dallas in situations like this.  Some times he goes back into oblivion and some times it careens him to the top tier echelon of players.
-The "usual" factor
As in the usually reliable guy for Dallas will be nowhere to be found as this game is always his "dud" game. This time, Barry Church.  Solid tackler, always. But not today. He missed so many key tackles, it looked as if he was a high school water boy.

As for the season, I'm not optimistic for a championship run and here's why;
-Durant is now out for the year. Defense gets weaker.
-Marinelli can't keep this rag tag defense playing above their heads all season.  I praise what he's done and if they never win another game, his coaching alone has to be considered a success.
-Jerry Jones has a half a year to fuck things up
-Romo's injured.  I'm on record this past summer as saying Romo is done after this season, and I think we can all see that.  I should add, I included that this will be his last successful season should he be duct taped together for one more run.
-Murray's fumble issues.
So far, Dallas has been able to circumvent his errors, but in a big game, say like, for the division title...look out.
-Wild card won't come out of the East. 
That means it's Philly or Dallas for the title and probable fourth seed.
-4 potential bad weather games with at least two, possibly three being on a grand stage.

What about the good?
The run game.
Lord I love nothing more than an outstanding running game.  Always have.  All this praise Manning and Brady pass happy running QB BS, not to mention all the Ray Charles defensive foul calls, there's not much a team can do nowadays except run.
Wearing down a defense, just run run run in the second half when they can't do anything about it.
Yea the chicks and the younger generation hate it because its not a 90 yard bomb, but the hell with em, I love it.  Run it 35 times a game.
As it pertains to this team, I like it for several other reasons.
One is, it gives Romo a lot more protection against injury.
Second, it opens Dez, Williams and Witten up, as we've seen already.
Keeps the other team off the field.  Whats better than marching down 80 yards in 8 or 9 minutes, then have the other team go 3 and out and then go out and do it again.
Il tell you what; nothing.
Instills confidence.

All that said, even if they get in the playoffs, I see a one and done.  I really really like this offense and I believe they can counter most defensive schemes, but injuries, turnovers and the defense finally folding in one key game will be the downfall.
In the meantime, I'm still supporting them and enjoying watching them and hoping that dolt JJ stays out of his own way, but who the hell am I kidding??

I guess this sorta turned into a mid season progress report which wasn't my intention, but oh well...