News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2019 Season

Started by Crewe, February 28, 2019, 11:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Ultimately...I get how it could be seen as an accident and Marisnick does seem remorseful about the whole thing, but at the end of the day the rule's been in place since 2014 and you gotta protect the players. Assmus (...and yes, fuck Brad Assmus lol) is just doing his protect his players thing.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on July 12, 2019, 05:44:35 PM
Ultimately...I get how it could be seen as an accident and Marisnick does seem remorseful about the whole thing, but at the end of the day the rule's been in place since 2014 and you gotta protect the players. Assmus (...and yes, fuck Brad Assmus lol) is just doing his protect his players thing.

I agree, and the rule isn't the problem, the problem is, the rule isn't applicable here. Its a grown up sport, shit happens.
He is extremely remorseful, he even called it a "bad play" by him, although Jake is not a dirty player by any stretch of the imagination.
And yea, protect your players, but you were a catcher you shithead, you know damn good and well what happened there.

TheNorm

Rebuilds suck and kind of take the joy out of watching baseball on a consistent basis.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on July 15, 2019, 06:02:23 PM
Rebuilds suck and kind of take the joy out of watching baseball on a consistent basis.

I'd say 162 games is a long time for a rebuilding season as opposed to a 16 game NFL season, but then again the Lions have been rebuilding for how many years now? :P

Not that uh...I can really talk post-2008 or so....

Crewe

it sucks when your prospects outgrow your rebuild.
Drayton McLane sucked canal water at rebuilding, however, going off of a couple of prospects we had already, Luhnow dismembered the heart of what team we had left and dealt them (Hunter Pence and Michael Bourn) and thats when I felt like we had a guy that would build a winner.
From then on, it was fun to watch, even though we lost 100+ 3 straight years in a row, the minor league teams began kicking ass and soon, we were contenting and winning.
Hope things turn around because it is fun to watch a team get built literally from the ground up.

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on July 15, 2019, 06:08:40 PM

I'd say 162 games is a long time for a rebuilding season as opposed to a 16 game NFL season, but then again the Lions have been rebuilding for how many years now? :P

Not that uh...I can really talk post-2008 or so....

Lol I'll be the first to rip on the Lions (and have many times), but well done. :D

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on July 15, 2019, 07:48:04 PM

Drayton McLane sucked canal water at rebuilding, however, going off of a couple of prospects we had already, Luhnow dismembered the heart of what team we had left and dealt them (Hunter Pence and Michael Bourn) and thats when I felt like we had a guy that would build a winner.
From then on, it was fun to watch, even though we lost 100+ 3 straight years in a row, the minor league teams began kicking ass and soon, we were contenting and winning.
Hope things turn around because it is fun to watch a team get built literally from the ground up.

I'm still waiting to get to the "minor league teams kicking ass" part, but there is some hope. Casey Mize should be a stud down the road, and I think the Tigers ended up with one of Roger Clemens' kids too.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on July 16, 2019, 02:28:51 PM
Quote from: Crewe on July 15, 2019, 07:48:04 PM

I'm still waiting to get to the "minor league teams kicking ass" part, but there is some hope. Casey Mize should be a stud down the road, and I think the Tigers ended up with one of Roger Clemens' kids too.

lol it can test patience for sure.
Thats why I really like this team so much. Our nucleus was drafted and honed as a true team.

TheNorm

Crewe

thats just not fair. It must b CGI! ;-)

BojackHorsefella

That's some RBI Baseball pitching there.

Crewe

Astros deal for Grienke. Holy shit that's a great starting rotation, this year....
But now Cole will be gone next season for sure and we gave up four great prospects for a 35 year old. One of which was a terrific SP prospect.
We held on to Straw and Tucker who are our top farm studs but still, Im kinda back and forth on this simply because Im really high on futures, but Luhnow is going for winning now and I can't argue with that. And its not like he pulled a McLane and mortgaged our entire future, so I think after the new wears off, Ill be great with it. Until we send off Cole. Im still crushed over losing Kemp recently.

TheNorm

JV with his third no-hitter in history, and his second in Toronto.

https://twitter.com/sinow/status/1168246587816120320

Goddamn I miss JV.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on September 01, 2019, 03:40:45 PM
JV with his third no-hitter in history, and his second in Toronto.

https://twitter.com/sinow/status/1168246587816120320

Goddamn I miss JV.

We are taking good care of him norm, just like you did JD Martinez ;-)

Crewe

Astros and Yankees sitting at 93 with the Dodgers at 92. 19 to go.
I guessed Astros would win 105 this year. Seems a tall order right now even though going .500 the rest of the way puts us at 102.
I figure the three teams have been within one or two games all year, so its probably going to stay that way.
That doesn't matter to me, although it would be nice to be top seed.

In the AL, honestly, The Twinkies scare me, just sitting there, about 4-6 games back last half of the season, just biding time, not making waves, waiting for their moment. Not to mention we are 3-4 vs them.

Yankees are nasty.  Until a short while ago, I thought we would be ok because our pitching was better, but the second half, our bullpen has been giving up moonshots consistently.
Clench up, its going to be tense...