2019 Pro Football Thread

Started by rollntider, February 25, 2019, 10:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

The clapper is now the OC for the NYG

Crewe

I know norm is a happy camper today lol

Crewe

Man, I thought intuit KC game, nobody can touch them.
then SF is dismantling GB like they wee a HS team.
Should be a great SB!

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 19, 2020, 07:58:28 PM
I know norm is a happy camper today lol

Isn't over yet, Niners took their foot off the gas a bit.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 19, 2020, 08:42:31 PM
Man, I thought intuit KC game, nobody can touch them.
then SF is dismantling GB like they wee a HS team.
Should be a great SB!

This might be the first Super Bowl in awhile that I'm truly excited about. Absolutely a great matchup, plus Shakira for the halftime show...yes, please.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Yea Im looking forward to it as well.
they still have halftime shows?  ???

TheNorm

Not to put too much pressure on these two, but anyone else feel like Mahomes/Jackson is the next Brady/Manning?
Going to enjoy watching those two battle it out the next few seasons.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 20, 2020, 12:47:48 AM
Not to put too much pressure on these two, but anyone else feel like Mahomes/Jackson is the next Brady/Manning?

There's a few QB's to watch so it should be fun.
I also find that Rogers has sorta been the conduit between the old guard and the new.
The traditional drop back QB is much less visible now and the new stars are dual threats.
It's not just an anomaly like Cunningham or Vick or Young. The true scramblers Tarkenton and Staubach are gone, this breed has busted the old myth that a running QB couldn't be a pocket passer, i.e., can't consistently make NFL throws.

TheNorm

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on January 20, 2020, 12:58:57 AM

I also find that Rogers has sorta been the conduit between the old guard and the new.
The traditional drop back QB is much less visible now and the new stars are dual threats.
It's not just an anomaly like Cunningham or Vick or Young. The true scramblers Tarkenton and Staubach are gone, this breed has busted the old myth that a running QB couldn't be a pocket passer, i.e., can't consistently make NFL throws.

I agree but the transition is mostly due to the rules changes within the NFL.  The protection afforded Qb's and defenseless receivers is why you see this style of play working now where it did not in the past.  If you went over the middle in the 70's and 80's you were taking your life into your own hands. Just like if you ran as a QB you were considered a RB in the old days and would get lit up.  I am taking nothing away from them but merely pointing out the change is due more to new rules than some evelutonary leap in play.

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 20, 2020, 01:54:32 PM
Quote from: Crewe on January 20, 2020, 12:58:57 AM

I agree but the transition is mostly due to the rules changes within the NFL.  The protection afforded Qb's and defenseless receivers is why you see this style of play working now where it did not in the past.  If you went over the middle in the 70's and 80's you were taking your life into your own hands. Just like if you ran as a QB you were considered a RB in the old days and would get lit up.  I am taking nothing away from them but merely pointing out the change is due more to new rules than some evelutonary leap in play.

The running QB has been protected via the slide, it's just many of them didn't. I think QB's getting buried while in the pocket is what's prolonged the position life. I mean I remember in 1978 Jack Lambert of the Steelers saying you were going to have to put a dress on the QB's because of the flags.
I just think the pure athleticism of QB's being able to be a legit double threat is what's changing.
You always had guys like Elway who was Superman when it came to being elusive, but he wasn't a "runner" if you will, ala Vick.
But remember when a college running QB would get to an NFL team and everyone would say ahh he'll fail, that doesn't fly in this league. And the most part they were right, but its just evolved and I think the pocket passer, ala Aikman are pretty much pase. That's not to say I disagree with you because I dont, rules most certainly helped protect QB's.
There's n doubt defenses are hamstrung by these soft rules nowadays, but with regard to a runner, you saw Tannehill get trucked because he didnt slide, so its still dangerous, but they have just limited the areas where you can hit a runner.
I dont think that has anything to do with a QB deciding to run with the ball or not.
That's just my take anyway.

While we're on it, Ill add that in NCAA, the NC game, what a shit rule that targeting penalty is the refs call.
I was LSU, but that kid for Clemson that got tossed at such a pivotal time. There was no malice and it wasn't a black and white disturbing hit.
It just pisses me off because you have these bean counters that sit back in their ivory towers and say well, science says the crown of the helmet is most dangerous, therefore illegal. Never played a down in their life and simply cannot understand how fast the game is and how athletic these guys are and can change the angle of a hit in less than a second. They dont allow for that type of interpretation.

BojackHorsefella

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/eslqvw/slater_scoop_an_arrest_warrant_was_just_issued/

Saw someone say in the comments somewhere, but supposedly AB's behavior started after the Burfict or not. I don't know if that's true, but I think this is clearly CTE related. Nobody spirals this fast solely on personality.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 22, 2020, 11:34:44 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/eslqvw/slater_scoop_an_arrest_warrant_was_just_issued/

Saw someone say in the comments somewhere, but supposedly AB's behavior started after the Burfict or not. I don't know if that's true, but I think this is clearly CTE related. Nobody spirals this fast solely on personality.

Ocho Cinco?

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on January 22, 2020, 11:36:07 PM
Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 22, 2020, 11:34:44 PM

Ocho Cinco?

Maybe I misremembered. It wasn't in the Reddit comments I don't think, maybe I got the LB wrong. Regardless, even without a specific hit, the behavior is too bizarre to not be related to CTE, in my internet poster, non-medical opinion.

Crewe

These halftime shows are ridiculously long. I think that was longer than the entire first half.