News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The 2020 Song A Day Thread

Started by TheNorm, January 17, 2020, 11:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigg44

Ok, I fell down a youtube hole today over lunch and it lead me to three gems that hit me in the feels unexpectedly.  Listening to them took me back to laying on my mom and dad's living room floor watching westerns with my dad.  For that reason, I give you three classics done by The Danish National Symphony Orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4niv522mbtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT1NJwEi6nw&list=RDDT1NJwEi6nw&start_radio=1&t=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enuOArEfqGo

Crewe

This Eastwood flicks were such a staple of my youth and I defy anyone to not recognize the good bad ugly tune, even if they dont know its a movie lol
Those are good renditions

TheNorm

Those renditions were amazing! And Ecstasy of Gold is my favorite tune from any western, and when that hit at about the 3:00 minute mark in the Good, The Bad and the Ugly video I got some chills. Nice finds.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

A Graceful Fall from John Mellencamp in 2010.
This is such a great recording for a number of reasons. One is, Mellencamp had zero interest in recording for success of th album but for the love.
He traveled to several sites of old blues recordings such as Robert Johnson et al. He also recorded with a portable recorder and one microphone, just like the predecessors.
Thats cool to me and I really dig this tune.

TheNorm

May 15, 2020

Fun fact about this video: this was directed by William Friedkin, which you might know him more by his films The French Connection and The Exorcist.

Also, still can't believe she's been gone since 2004.

Laura Branigan - Self Control

https://youtu.be/RP0_8J7uxhs
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

May 16, 2020

This song was the first single released off of Purple Rain on this day in 1984. Had no idea that even after some of the amazing hits he had before this (1999, Controversy, Delirious, Little Red Corvette), When Doves Cry was his first #1 single. That's just crazy to me...damn I miss this dude.

https://youtu.be/UG3VcCAlUgE

Crewe

This song was stuck n my head so it might as well be in yours too.
It's a remarkably close cover to the S&G original.

TheNorm

I love that cover more than the original...looking at Susanna Hoffs also doesn't hurt. ;)

TheNorm

"...and just like that it's over. We tend to our wounded, count our dead.
Black and white soldiers wonder alike if this truly means freedom.

Not yet."

The dream lives on for now...gotta make sure we can make it permanently stick come November.

https://youtu.be/6_35a7sn6ds

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on June 18, 2020, 12:19:24 PM
I love that cover more than the original...looking at Susanna Hoffs also doesn't hurt. ;)

still doesn't  :D

TheNorm

June 25 2020

Country isn't my thing. That said, this song right here is a damn good one. Also has really good timing for a Viennese Waltz too...maybe someday I can get back to that ballroom dance thing again.

Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey
https://youtu.be/IBLruNfUqUs

Crewe

So, I was full bore country at one time believe it or not. hell, I was even full on cowboy as we had a ranch in the family on my dad's side lol
That leads in to the part where I completely that genre when I heard Eruption in my freshman year.
Then, I went both ways soon after when country rebounded but then I left again when Billy Ray whatshisfuckface destroyed it with all his bullshit.
And now, last few years, Stapleton and a few others have regenerated my interest, to a degreased anyway.
In short, nice pick norm.

TheNorm

Other than Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, my view on country is limited. I really did enjoy the Dixie Chicks and still do, although they're probably more country lite and the genre in general disowned them when they spoke truths back in the early 2000s (and still do now). Heard a couple random songs I like here and there but those would mostly be considered arena country (This is How We Roll, Chicken Fried, That's My Kind of Night). Chris Stapleton has a sound I like. :)

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on June 26, 2020, 01:32:51 PM
Other than Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, my view on country is limited. I really did enjoy the Dixie Chicks and still do, although they're probably more country lite and the genre in general disowned them when they spoke truths back in the early 2000s (and still do now). Heard a couple random songs I like here and there but those would mostly be considered arena country (This is How We Roll, Chicken Fried, That's My Kind of Night). Chris Stapleton has a sound I like. :)

Those are two good ones for sure. My dad was a George Jones fanatic so I grew up on the old country, Don Williams, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Tanya Tucker and the like.
Now not all those in that era were bad, I mean Alan Jackson for instance, to me, he is old school country even though his music mostly isn't. he just has those values and aura of the old time. Dwight Yoakum, my cuz, Lee Roy Parnell ;-) et al all had some good contributions to the otherwise city slicker country.

Never was a fan of the Dixie Chicks and not for THAT reason lol I think initially they were more country before Maines joined up and went contemporary but I could be wrong. But yea, them, the likes of Shania Twain (whom I liked) all the 90's stuff had its time.

TheNorm

Digging this one the last day or so.

AWOLNATION - Run

https://youtu.be/mw2kKyJu9gY