News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 days of movies challenge

Started by Crewe, March 08, 2018, 11:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Lol, it got a little dusty in the room when I fired it up
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

man
seven was such a good flick, I forgot about that, good call.
Alien was a good choice as well, and thanks for the spoiler tag norm cuz I haven't seen it yet

cflnut

I almost went with the Wood Chipper scene from Fargo, but felt that the ending of Seven had a far greater emotional impact.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

Sorry about missing yesterday!

Day 6
A relatively unknown film you always recommend

Couple of options here but Ill go with Frailty. Bill Paxton isn't one of my favorites for a leading role but he does a convincing job here.
Matthew McConaughey delivers as does Powers Boothe. A surprisingly good flick.

Day 7
A film that represents a genre you don't normally like

I dont typically go for flicks with subtitles, but Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon changed that for me.

cflnut

Day 6

Howl's Moving Castle. This is a Japanese animated film by writer/director Hayao Miyazaki.

Synapses: Sophie (Emily Mortimer) has an uneventful life at her late father's hat shop, but all that changes when she befriends wizard Howl (Christian Bale), who lives in a magical flying castle. However, the evil Witch of Waste (Lauren Bacall) takes issue with their budding relationship and casts a spell on young Sophie, which ages her prematurely. Now Howl must use all his magical talents to battle the jealous hag and return Sophie to her former youth and beauty.

Miyazaki is mostly known for his film Spirited Away which won the 2002 Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. But I find that Howl's Moving castle is an easier film to follow for those who are just starting to look into Japanese animated films.

Day 7

Cargo from Swiss director Ivan Engler.

This is a science fiction film which I do watch a lot of. However, it is a German Language film, which I don't watch a lot of subtitled films, as I find it hard to follow read most of the time. BUt I did enjoy this one quite a bit.

BojackHorsefella

Wow, both great choices Crewe, and CFLNut, I haven't watched any Miyazaki but I've heard so many people rave about his films (especially Howl's Moving Castle). My girlfriend has a Totoro tattoo even. I'll definitely have to check out Cargo, love sci-fi.

Day 6

Coherence, easily. Science fiction movie that was on Netflix for awhile and now seems to have disappeared into the abyss. It's a movie about people at a dinner party who become, essentially, Schroedinger's Cat. I love this movie so much.

(Honorable mentions because I HAVE to: He Was a Quiet Man, starring Christian Slater, and The Invitation, which may still be on Netflix. It was also a bit more predictable than the other two).

Day 7

Paddington (1 or 2, take your pick). Now, let me clarify a little. I don't mind kid's films. Obviously Disney, Dreamworks and Pixar have all done incredibly work that speaks to both adults and kids with their cartoons.

However, these "animated CGI animal interacts with actual humans" are usually horrible and/or have the lowest form of jokes (typically, fart or poop jokes). Alvin and the Chipmunks, Peter Rabbit, nonsense like that.

Not Paddington, though. I had been hearing, with the impending release of the sequel, about just how incredible the first one was from all types of people and I really didn't believe it. Then I watched it on a flight and was absolutely floored by just how good it was. I do think I like the first one better than the second, but I've become a Paddington promoter ever since viewing them. Do yourself a favor and check out the first on Netflix and if you like it, try to see the second one if it's still in theaters.

cflnut

Cargo was on Netflix, not sure if it's still is since I stopped subscribing about two years ago. Because I'm in Canada and our Netflix is crap.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on March 14, 2018, 10:37:18 AM
Sorry about missing yesterday!

Day 6

Couple of options here but Ill go with Frailty. Bill Paxton isn't one of my favorites for a leading role but he does a convincing job here.
Matthew McConaughey delivers as does Powers Boothe. A surprisingly good flick.

Day 7

I dont typically go for flicks with subtitles, but Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon changed that for me.

Slacker. ;)

Day 6

Layer Cake. Not your typical crime thriller, with the main character plotting his retirement. Tells a pretty damn good story though with some sweet twists throughout. Daniel Craig's performance in this is also believed to be the reason he became the next James Bond.

Day 7

Pitch Perfect. I don't necessarily 'not like' musical comedies, but they don't typically hit my radar as movies I need to see and it was the same with this one. Never would've even watched it until I stumbled across it on HBO, and the only reason I stuck around then is because it had the cute actress from Up in the Air that's funny on twitter (Anna Kendrick) on the screen at the exact moment. Dialogue and the humor kept me there and it's been one of my favorites since.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Day 3
A film that made you a fan of the director

Deadpool - Tim Miller

Day 4

A popular movie of any era that you consider overrated

District 9. Total garbage movie

Day 5
An emotional scene (could be tense, sad death, love scene etc...)

https://youtu.be/F2bk_9T482g?t=3m26s
UP

Day 6

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil I thought it was a big flick but when i bring it up people never heard of it.

thaima1shu

Quote from: Bucfever on March 14, 2018, 01:02:41 PM
Paddington (1 or 2, take your pick). Now, let me clarify a little. I don't mind kid's films. Obviously Disney, Dreamworks and Pixar have all done incredibly work that speaks to both adults and kids with their cartoons.

However, these "animated CGI animal interacts with actual humans" are usually horrible and/or have the lowest form of jokes (typically, fart or poop jokes). Alvin and the Chipmunks, Peter Rabbit, nonsense like that.

Not Paddington, though. I had been hearing, with the impending release of the sequel, about just how incredible the first one was from all types of people and I really didn't believe it. Then I watched it on a flight and was absolutely floored by just how good it was. I do think I like the first one better than the second, but I've become a Paddington promoter ever since viewing them. Do yourself a favor and check out the first on Netflix and if you like it, try to see the second one if it's still in theaters.

My god I cannot agree with this more. I saw the reviews for the second one on Rotten Tomatoes when it released and thought "WTF?!" So I went and bought the first one to give it a shot. Not long after I was booking it to the theater to watch the second one. They're such fun movies.

BojackHorsefella

I thought I won Day 6 but I see actually Tider did. Also, Tucker and Dale is great.

Thai, random aside, I got a place in Bothell now and a vendor job on the Microsoft campus in Redmond!

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on March 14, 2018, 08:14:47 PM
I thought I won Day 6 but I see actually Tider did. Also, Tucker and Dale is great.

Thai, random aside, I got a place in Bothell now and a vendor job on the Microsoft campus in Redmond!

Congrats....

thaima1shu

Dude that's awesome! Congrats! Bothell's a pretty nice place to live from what I've heard from friends. Bonus that you're only commuting to Redmond and don't have to deal with coming over to the Seattle side.

Crewe

Someone else told me about Coherence before and I did nothing about it. Ill have to bullet this one.
Nice archive pull on Layer Cake too, forgot all about that one.
Quote from: TheNorm on March 14, 2018, 03:47:58 PM

Slacker. ;)

And that didnt go unnoticed btw lol

Day 8
Your favorite "based on a true story" film

It was hard to make a distinct decision here. Apollo 13, Erin Brockovich and Goodfellas all came to mind, as well as All the Presidents Men and... well, I digress.
Im going with Escape From Alcatraz.
Just wonderful storytelling with Eastwood perfectly cast as Frank Morris. Dont expect Dirty Harry but instead a tightly wound keen observation of prison life and the attempt to escape.

Crewe

congrats dude